2019 NHL Draft, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As a draft-eligible prospect, Debrincat wasn't an elite skater in terms of speed but I think he was a better skater than some gave him credit for as he found ways to get to areas that he wanted to go. He had the elusiveness and skill level you wanted from a guy his size.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
DeBrincat knows where to go, he is smart, not fast. Havent seen enough of Caulfield or Kaliev but both guys send to know how to score. Very few players that cant score suddenly learn it the NHL.

To me scoring ability and IQ are the most important skills for a scoring prospekts.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Would not mind at all if the team goes for Soderstrom or Heinola at #10.

This is not the Juolevi draft where a clear cut better player would be forgone by going D at 10.

Reactions: racerjoe

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
After the U18s in 1 week. I predict we wont even get chance to draft Henoila at #10. He will be long gone

Such a stud Dman !
Read through his prospect thread and I'm liking what I'm reading.

Anyone have an in depth analysis on Heinola? He just turned 18 and he's put up similar numbers to Heiskanen in the SM-Liga while reportedly excelling in ththe defensive zone

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Here it is: EXCLUSIVE: EliteProspects Top 93 Skaters 2019 NHL Draft Ranking

They rank Zegras at 21, this is going to be one of the most exciting drafts to watch because it will be so unpredictable. I can definitely see a lot of unexpected players get picked within the top 10. Teams always put a premium on Centers and defenceman in drafts and its usually wingers that slip. Anyhow, I hope Canucks draft either Newhook, Brink, Caufield, or Boldy.

Boldy seems to be the choice, he excels in all facets of the game: playmaking, scoring, skating, size and would fit perfectly next to EP or Horvat.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

They rank Zegras at 21, this is going to be one of the most exciting drafts to watch because it will be so unpredictable. I can definitely see a lot of unexpected players get picked within the top 10. Teams always put a premium on Centers and defenceman in drafts and its usually wingers that slip. Anyhow, I hope Canucks draft either Newhook, Brink, Caufield, or Boldy.

Boldy seems to be the choice, he excels in all facets of the game: playmaking, scoring, skating, size and would fit perfectly next to EP or Horvat.

It’s going to be one of the more unpredictable drafts in a long time due to the similar rankings after the top 6 or so picks.

Agree that we should get good value with a winger due to other teams pickinh centres and possibly D-men ahead of us.

There’s also good value in picking European players in men’s leagues due to their often limited point totals and the difficulty in comparing them to their peers.

I also think that Boldy would be a great fit but if a goal scoring centre like Cozens drops in our lap then we should take him.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

I like Boldy's game a lot from that video. Just seems like he'd be a good guy to flank EP and Brock moving forward.

Some interesting things I find from this on a quick look:
Zegras as low as 21
Broberg not in the first round at all
Foote falling to the end of the 2nd round
Korczak not listed at all- there's no way he falls to the 4th round I would assume

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It’s going to be one of the more unpredictable drafts in a long time due to the similar rankings after the top 6 or so picks.

Agree that we should get good value with a winger due to other teams pickinh centres and possibly D-men ahead of us.

There’s also good value in picking European players in men’s leagues due to their often limited point totals and the difficulty in comparing them to their peers.

I also think that Boldy would be a great fit but if a goal scoring centre like Cozens drops in our lap then we should take him.

I don't see Cozens dropping to 10th, RH Center with size, he will likely be top 5.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Keep in mind Benning/Brackett have favoured shooters (amongst forwards) and offensive potential higher - no reason to believe that will change considering how successful the last two drafts look (not to mention Boeser who could shoot above all else).

That should narrow down our list of potential draftees.

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I like Boldy's game a lot from that video. Just seems like he'd be a good guy to flank EP and Brock moving forward.

Some interesting things I find from this on a quick look:
Zegras as low as 21
Broberg not in the first round at all
Foote falling to the end of the 2nd round
Korczak not listed at all- there's no way he falls to the 4th round I would assume

Kelowna resident here. Foote deserves to have fallen a bit but the end of 2nd round is crazy. Having Korczak not listed is f***ing insane. I was as hard on this team as anyone this year, but JD Burke must hate the Rockets or something.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Considering the current make-up of this Canucks team, they should be looking for size and strong two-way play on the wings. I'd pass on the smurf and lean more toward Boldy, if he's available, as I prefer the Mark Stone type to the Alex Debrincat type. Caufield is a massive gamble, too massive for a team that has missed on a few top 10 picks in Virtanen and Juolevi. If you want to take a chance on an offensive player, see if a guy like Zegras falls to our spot.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Are you a member? Is there anywhere else to find their list?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Considering the current make-up of this Canucks team,

Don't draft based on the team you have *right now*. Ever. Just draft the best players possible, sort out positional needs later with the talent surplus you accumulate by drafting the best players at your picks.

It's a massive gamble to take the "safe" players at the top end of the draft, just like it was a huge gamble to not take the most skilled player in 14 or 16.

Reactions: TruKnyte

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Considering the current make-up of this Canucks team, they should be looking for size and strong two-way play on the wings. I'd pass on the smurf and lean more toward Boldy, if he's available, as I prefer the Mark Stone type to the Alex Debrincat type. Caufield is a massive gamble, too massive for a team that has missed on a few top 10 picks in Virtanen and Juolevi. If you want to take a chance on an offensive player, see if a guy like Zegras falls to our spot.
Size and strong two way play on the wings.... like Virtanen?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Kelowna resident here. Foote deserves to have fallen a bit but the end of 2nd round is crazy. Having Korczak not listed is ****ing insane. I was as hard on this team as anyone this year, but JD Burke must hate the Rockets or something.
Thanks for the report. I admit I have not seen any of them play this year but just Kelowna's defencmen track record speaks volume to me. As for Foote, what happened for him to have fallen a bit?

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Thanks for the report. I admit I have not seen any of them play this year but just Kelowna's defencmen track record speaks volume to me. As for Foote, what happened for him to have fallen a bit?

Kelowna lost so much talent after last year (Dube, Lind, Twarynski, Cal Foote) that Nolan was basically expected to jump from a complimentary role into the Rockets best forward facing every team's top pairing despite still being 17. It resulted in a very slow start to the season and he started to look much better as the year went on.

The Rockets were not a very good team this year and had troubles scoring goals, so I look at it very similarly to Krebs in Kootenay. Foote had 36 goals in 66 games playing on a terrible team and was just 3 pts shy of the team lead (Topping at 66 pts).

I don't think he deserves to be a 1st round pick anymore, but I see him as a high 2nd round pick and I think he could be a steal. Especially since the Rockets will bring in tons of talent next year for their Mem Cup season, should boost his confidence a ton in what will likely be his final year of junior.

Foote: 36 goals and 63 points (66 GP) playing on a team that scored 169 goals this year.
Krebs: 19 goals and 68 points (64 GP) playing on a team that scored 181 goals this year.

Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad