2019 NHL Draft, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Don't get me wrong, I think they won't go with him over all the offensive forward talent, but I am just saying Soderstrom would not be a bad pick either.

Along that topic ... I suspect there will be pressure from ownership to generate some excitement around the draft pick in Vancouver. There is a lot of offensive sexiness around that 10 OA spot ... the defensemen, outside of Byram, are not that exciting. I also believe there will be some buyers remorse with Juolevi that will make them a bit more gun shy vis-à-vis drafting non-elite defensemen with high picks.

I expect us to go heavy defense in rounds 2-7, however, and probably at least one goalie prospect.

Reactions: Scorvat

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You said Juolevi was awesome too.

The problem is, Soderstrom isn't a better prospect than the forwards ranked around our pick.
It's incredible how you like to make things up and actually expect people to belive what you are saying,
I said Juolevi had a great playoffs, which he did.
I f***ing lost my shit when they picked Juolevi and not Tkachuk, good try tho, go back to the draft thread.
Not to mention I was also in the building during that pick, and I lost it there as well.

So stop talking out of your ass

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Some chatter on the Power Hour in terms of what to expect at 10 OA: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...-weaponize-cap-space-to-add-players-1.1295046

-Botch says outside of trading up for Byram it doesn't set up well for the Canucks to take a d-man at 10 OA (which we seem to agree with here);
-The Canucks will prioritize speed (no duh?!), which may knock Caufield down the list. Botch also said he's not sure if Boldy "fits what the Canucks are looking for."

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Some chatter on the Power Hour in terms of what to expect at 10 OA: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...-weaponize-cap-space-to-add-players-1.1295046

-Botch says outside of trading up for Byram it doesn't set up well for the Canucks to take a d-man at 10 OA (which we seem to agree with here);
-The Canucks will prioritize speed (no duh?!), which may knock Caufield down the list. Botch also said he's not sure if Boldy "fits what the Canucks are looking for."

Haven't listened to it yet but will later. Does Botchford elaborate on what the Canucks are looking for exactly?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Haven't listened to it yet but will later. Does Botchford elaborate on what the Canucks are looking for exactly?

It sounds like they're putting a premium specifically on speed and skating at 10 OA. I dunno who'd fit the bill here, but it sounds like Botch has heard Caufield and Boldy are a bit further down the list than some people would like due to concerns around foot speed.

I suspect this might put Krebs and Newhook in the running? I dunno though, just speculating.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

That would mean a Newhook, Krebs or Cozens is more likely.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
It sounds like they're putting a premium specifically on speed and skating at 10 OA. I dunno who'd fit the bill here, but it sounds like Botch has heard Caufield and Boldy are a bit further down the list than some people would like due to concerns around foot speed.

I suspect this might put Krebs and Newhook in the running? I dunno though, just speculating.

Newhook is intriguing, he's having a good showing at the U18's against better players. Hard to judge though on that sample size when the rest of his games are in the BCHL.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Cozens, Zegras and Krebs probably fit that bill the best.

Have no interest in Krebs. I could stomach Cozens, but my guess is that he'll be drafted too high by Detroit or something. Zegras I'd be happy with and I consider him significantly more skilled and intelligent than the other two guys -- don't want to be picking safely here.

The Canucks brass seem REALLY obsessed with this speed mantra after watching the Penguins win back to back cups. It's not the worst thing in the world but it just shows how fickle our management is.

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I have Krebs ahead of Cozens.

I feel Cozens IQ doesnt have as high of a ceiling as Krebs.

Cozens is also a shoot 1st centre that doesnt play defence very well.

He reminds me a bit of Kesler without the Selke traits.

Krebs on the other hands is Ultra skilled with a motor for days and leadership to boot.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

Don't worry, your speculation is every bit as valid at Botchford's. Nobody really knows the Canucks list, but we can see how they have trended towards speed, skill and IQ with recent drafts.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Don't worry, your speculation is every bit as valid at Botchford's. Nobody really knows the Canucks list, but we can see how they have trended towards speed, skill and IQ with recent drafts.

Well, the front office has had a habit of essentially dropping heavy hints at their preferred pick heading into the draft. They did it with Virtanen and Juolevi, and would have done it with Hughes had they thought he'd actually be available. Therefore, I'd take any leaks from local media related to our pick at 10 OA a little more seriously than I would a typical rumour.

If Botch is hearing the Canucks have Caufield and Boldy a bit further down their list than consensus, for example, I'd suspect that would be the case at the time of writing. Though obviously things can change.

Nov 1, 2011

Sounds like they are setting up a Newhook pick.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Alex Newhook can out right fly and do things at high speed.

He is also from ST John"s NFLD Would play Left Wing

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Botchford was making pure assumptions too, none of his information today is concrete.

I'm sure someone in the organization told reporters they were prioritizing speed in the draft, which should be obvious. But yeah, the follow-up comments on Caufield and Boldy sound more like pure speculation based on that comment.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Botchford was making pure assumptions too, none of his information today is concrete.

Botchford rarely ever has concrete information anymore. He does a great job at taking the little information he does get and blow it up into a bigger story than it is.

Canucks are going to ask what it would take to get the #1 pick... OMG THE CANUCKS ARE MAKING A BIG PUSH FOR THE 1ST OVERALL!!!

Canucks want to prioritize speed in the draft. CAUFIELD AND BOLDY ARE OFF THE BOARD.

Sometimes it's not even Botchford that actually blows it out of proportion, it's the fans and media that take his comments for gospel when they are pure utter speculation or just throwing ideas out there as what he would do (and usually these are just ridiculously out to lunch on what's realistic).

Prioritizing speed doesn't/shouldn't mean prioritizing fast skating players. Players that think the game quicker and play the game quicker with smart decisions are WAY MORE effective than speedsters. The top players today are both.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I feel like Newhook will be a player that will be selected before us. Centers and defenceman are always a premium at the draft .

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's incredible how you like to make things up and actually expect people to belive what you are saying,
I said Juolevi had a great playoffs, which he did.
I ****ing lost my **** when they picked Juolevi and not Tkachuk, good try tho, go back to the draft thread.
Not to mention I was also in the building during that pick, and I lost it there as well.

So stop talking out of your ass

Not talking out of my ass at all. Maybe it's because you flip flop a lot, but you did say this:

Juolevi is not a bad pick, wtf are you on about, the guy is gonna be a top 2/3 Defender.

So, next time you go off on me claiming I'm making things up, you might want to think about some of the things you say.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
That would mean a Newhook, Krebs or Cozens is more likely.
I’d be very happy with any of those players.

There’s a really strong crop of forwards at the top end of this draft so there’s a good chance there will be some great choices on the board at #10.
Last year was the year of defencemen,this year it’s forwards so take the best one and don’t overthink it.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad