2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
if we end up drafting 15th overall, I wouldn't oppose the idea of drafting Brett Leason and placing him on Horvat's wing next season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Drafting 15th overall? Brett "2 year overage" Leason????

I seem him being more effective than Tanner Pearson at the NHL level, Canucks are in dire need of high end wingers and Leason could actually slot in the NHL next season next to Horvat.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Brett Leason seems like the kind of guy you could get much later in the draft if you were interested.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It's not really that unusual for an overager to go in the first round. And like Josepho said he's the best one there has been in a long time. I can post a list when I get home.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
As others have said, too many great forwards where the Canucks are destined to pick to take a D-Man. Grab a D-Man with the 2nd round pick.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Brett Leason seems like the kind of guy you could get much later in the draft if you were interested.

It's tough to gauge and until Bob pumps out another ranking we'll probably have no idea. Button has him at 32 on his latest list but his lists are usually way out of the box compared to the consensus.

But guys like Dominik Simon, Jimmy Vesey, Viktor Arvidsson, Brandon Montour, Shayne Gostisbehere, Ryan Dzingel, Ondrej Palat all were of a similar ilk in their draft year (albeit none better than Leason in terms of production) and I think you'd be happy if you picked up any of them with an early 2nd round pick or late 1st round pick.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Canucks could be in a weird space in this draft. They could drop down to the 10th pick given their current points percentage. That takes them out of the running for the 1st tier names like Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Byram and even Turcotte. However, names like Zegras and Suzuki are still possible.

My hope in this draft is that whomever they should take, it should be the most apparently skilled player left on the board. Zegras and Suzuki offer that potential. Given their recent history with Pettersson and Hughes, I think that's a good bet. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: DFAC

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
When I watch Kirby Dach, I always reach the conclusion that he is enigmatic and that his ability to read plays is questionable. He is more talented than Dylan Cozens to a marginal degree, but Cozens' ability to read plays at the WHL level and position himself more smartly results in an equal degree of offense. Dach relies more on talent and quick-strike opportunities than pressure and positioning. He doesn't play with a lot of pace at times despite being a fairly quick skater.

I think Dach has more bust potential than Cozens. I would take Cozens over him in the 2019 draft. Cozens has 16 goals, 43 points in 31 games now. Dach has 14 goals, 42 points in 34 games.

Cozens is more complete and offers a better two-way game, as well as greater power and better north-south transition ability. His greatest offensive asset is hit shot; his one-on-one skills are not quite as honed as Dach's, but he offers more overall on a shift-to-shift basis.

Cozens would be the two-way center that the Canucks haven't had since Ryan Kesler. Behind Pettersson and Horvat, he would be a great third-line center.

I don't know where Alex Turcotte fits into all of this as he hasn't played all season, but he was in my preseason Top 4. Cozens would be a good choice after the top-tier players are gone.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We need to pick up another offensive winger , someone who can play with bo, since brock was moved with Petey. That would name things conplete.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Anyone seen Boldy play before? He sounds like an intriguing player who is getting mocked around the 5-10 range.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Kirby Dach having 2 points in his last 8 games isn't exactly encouraging.

Another thing to add onto Dach is he doesn’t avoid contact ever. His size allows for this clearly at the junior level but you worry there is a little Lindros coming at the next level.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I'm very high on Boldy, I see a top line left winger potential in him. Broberg also looks like a smooth skating dman with a great IQ.

I believe Newhook will translate better than Turcotte. Krebs for me is right up there and I wouldnt be surprised to see him go 6-10.
Broberg's hockey iq have always been something I criticised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad