2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
How does Cozens compare to Mikey Mcleod? Both terrific skaters, right shots, similar size. Cozens seems to have a better shot and a higher offensive ceiling though. But just in terms of play style.. (at the time of the draft)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How does Cozens compare to Mikey Mcleod? Both terrific skaters, right shots, similar size. Cozens seems to have a better shot and a higher offensive ceiling though. But just in terms of play style.. (at the time of the draft)
McLeod doesn’t shoot nearly as much. Maybe outskates Cozens but doesn’t have the killer instinct on attack that Cozens does with a nice wrist shot.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Why do people have Podkolzin so high? Is it mainly because of his U18 tournament?

Cause his numbers in the MHL and VHL don't compare at all to Kravtsov, who was considered a reach at 9 by most.
Kravtsov was built to be an NHL player sooner rather than later. Podkolzin has the dynamic skill that you could see turning into an elite forward in a good 3/4 years. Almost every point he produced is in highlight fashion.

Reactions: Black Noise

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I've had Cozens ahead of Dach since Hlinka and haven't changed my mind. More skill and pace IMO, without a substantial drop off in vision or IQ. Dach is a thicker body, but that's not enough to overcome the slower pace of play for me. Things could change still, but that's how I see it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
As someone who hasn't watched any of these 2019 potentials, I don't like the optics of picking 1st and skipping on the Hughes brother connection.

Obviously I would take BPA regardless, but that seems like it could ruffle feathers.

In a weird way, I'd almost prefer winning the second pick unless they distinguish themselves.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
My list having watched this top ten very closely this year.

1) Jack Hughes
2) Kappo Kakko
3) Kirby Dach
4) Dylan Cozens
5) Vasily Poldkozin
6) Bowen Byram
7) Matthew Boldy
8) Philip Broberg
9) Alex Newhook
10) Alex Turcotte

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
As someone who hasn't watched any of these 2019 potentials, I don't like the optics of picking 1st and skipping on the Hughes brother connection.

Obviously I would take BPA regardless, but that seems like it could ruffle feathers.

In a weird way, I'd almost prefer winning the second pick unless they distinguish themselves.
Agreed. It’s almost too hard to pass up on Jack at 1 from our standpoint and the gap between the two is not large at all, it’s quite minuscule and it only comes down to Kakko’s versatility and NHL readinesss for me. Imagine if Jim passed up on Jack taking the first pick, even if he isn’t BPA.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

1) Jack Hughes
2) Kappo Kakko
3) Kirby Dach
4) Dylan Cozens
5) Vasily Poldkozin
6) Bowen Byram
7) Matthew Boldy
8) Philip Broberg
9) Alex Newhook
10) Alex Turcotte
Canucks should pick up another 1st then seeing how most projections have Broberg falling down to 18-26ish given he hasn’t produced in a lower tier Swedish league

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

1) Jack Hughes
2) Kappo Kakko
3) Kirby Dach
4) Dylan Cozens
5) Vasily Poldkozin
6) Bowen Byram
7) Matthew Boldy
8) Philip Broberg
9) Alex Newhook
10) Alex Turcotte

Why Broberg and Boldy in the top10?

Also, why Newhook over Turcotte?

No Krebs?

Turcotte definitely has a good two-way game, but the better offensive player should be valued higher.

I think Suzuki is underrated. I might have him higher than Turcotte, but I want to see how Turcotte looks when he's healthy. I like that Suzuki is a dual-threat offensively and even though he isn't exciting to watch like Zegras, he is still effective similar to Krebs. He can make difficult passes, but he makes the right passes. He has a strong shot. Not as quick as Turcotte, but I think better offensively and more dangerous with the puck.

I'm interested in your list so far... Here's what mine looks like before the WJ.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Dach
4. Krebs
5. Zegras
6. Cozens
7. Byram
8. Suzuki
9. Turcotte
10. Newhook

Not sure how I feel about Newhook. He's been one of the best since midget and he is really skilled offensively, but he should be producing more.

My current top10:

Caveat: I do not rank any russians because I highly suspect that Benning will not consider them.

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Dylan Cozens
5. Trevor Zegras
6. Alex Turcotte
7. Arthur Kaliyev
8. Ryan Suzuki
9. Peyton Krebs
10. Nathan Legare

- Dach and Cozens are producing at roughly the same rate, and offer similar utility. Dach is more skilled, which I prefer, but Cozens has greater 2way utility. Close call for me.

- Zegras is a offers a swing for the fences. I like him for that reason.

- I agree, Suzuki compares reasonably well to Krebs in terms of style. It is surprising to me though that neither one will be top end producers in this draft class. Each of their teams has a role to play in that outcome.

- Legare is a producing at a better rate than some of the top players in this class. Decent size as well. I am debating between keeping him here and pushing Boldy up. Will have to monitor this.

- Kaliyev should be in more top10s.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Why is Byram rated so low? He's producing pretty damn well as the best dman on a good Vancouver team. Seems to me like this year's Dobson.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why is Byram rated so low? He's producing pretty damn well as the best dman on a good Vancouver team. Seems to me like this year's Dobson.

PPG~ Dman that is maybe not as naturally talented as other options. Sounds like Dobson, I agree. I have him in the 11-15 range at present.

Then again, I don't rank any dmen in my top10.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

They do profile somewhat similarly on paper, but in terms of style of play i find them pretty different as prospects. McLeod does have similar sort of size, but Cozens seems to have a fair bit more "heaviness" to his game in actually using it. Cozens gets around very well for his size, not quite on the same level as M.McCleod's skating/speed though. But that comes with i think more flexibility in the way Cozens can play the game. Cozens certainly has a great motor and can really push the pace of play, but if he's a 9-10...McLeod at his best always seemed to be playing at the proverbial "11" speed. Whereas Cozens seems a more comfortable when the game gets dragged into the muck, grinding in the corners, in front of the net, etc. Also more balanced as a passer/goal-scorer and with a better shot and quicker hands around the net, whereas McLeod always projected as more of a passer to me.

I think overall, Cozens is just a "smarter" player, where McLeod as a prospect just had that kinda tantalizing ability to play at ludicrous speed but the offensive instincts were always sort of small questionmark. More flashes than consistency, a bit of a tease. Cozens pretty consistently does the right things, even when he's not going at a million miles an hour.

Agreed. It’s almost too hard to pass up on Jack at 1 from our standpoint and the gap between the two is not large at all, it’s quite minuscule and it only comes down to Kakko’s versatility and NHL readinesss for me. Imagine if Jim passed up on Jack taking the first pick, even if he isn’t BPA.

Even if the optics did pressured them into selecting Jack Hughes...it'd be pretty darn hard to walk out of the draft with that kid and be anything but gleeful i think. Regardless of how they get there, adding a player like Jack Hughes would be huge for this franchise. Pretty hard to go wrong there. I think at the very least, you can easily make the argument that Hughes is BPA over Kakko. It's not like there's some master list of "BPA" after all, and even then...i'm pretty confident Jack Hughes will be topping a lot of lists, if not the majority of them anyway.

Really wouldn't worry one tiny bit about that hypothetical scenario. A shot at Jack Hughes is a shot at Jack Hughes, and i'd happily take that any day.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Canucks should pick up another 1st then seeing how most projections have Broberg falling down to 18-26ish given he hasn’t produced in a lower tier Swedish league

Yeah. The somewhat limited production doesn't really concern me, so much as just in watching Broberg, his game seems to kinda reflect a lower production upside. It's just hard to see anything particularly dynamic in his game. Later 1st, sure...take a flyer on a guy with decent size, decent skater, decent puckhandler and passer, and reasonably smart and defensively competent enough to keep his head above water in a men's league in his draft year. But Top-10, i want to see something more potentially dynamic than that in a defenceman. There just isn't any one trait or skillset that i can see Broberg hanging his hat on. Just very "okay" all around in what i've seen of him.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Canucks had the opportunity to draft Valeri Bure to complement his brother, but chose Libor Polasek instead. At least they lucked out with Peca in the following round.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Have to think regardless of where they end up, Nucks are drafting a forward with their 2019 1st.

Lots of potential dmen towards the bottom of the 1st so would be nice to trade for a late 2019 1st (i.e. Edler) and can go either way with their 2nd.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Have to think regardless of where they end up, Nucks are drafting a forward with their 2019 1st.

Lots of potential dmen towards the bottom of the 1st so would be nice to trade for a late 2019 1st (i.e. Edler) and can go either way with their 2nd.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. Any pick after 5, i could see them taking Byram. We have 0 defensive prospects that can play in defensive situations besides *possibly* Woo 3-5 years from now. Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone are all below average defensively. You cant ice too many risk takers on the back end, no matter how good your offense is.

Byram is a really smooth skater. High end is possibly Morgan Reilly imo.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I have

1) Hughes
2) Kakko
3) Dach
4) Cozens
5) Byram
6) Zegras
7) Podkolzin
8) Newhook
9) Kaliyev
10) Krebs/Suzuki

Turcotte needs to play some damn games first lol.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Why Broberg and Boldy in the top10?

Also, why Newhook over Turcotte?

No Krebs?

My current top10:

Caveat: I do not rank any russians because I highly suspect that Benning will not consider them.

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko
3. Kirby Dach
4. Dylan Cozens
5. Trevor Zegras
6. Alex Turcotte
7. Arthur Kaliyev
8. Ryan Suzuki
9. Peyton Krebs
10. Nathan Legare

- Dach and Cozens are producing at roughly the same rate, and offer similar utility. Dach is more skilled, which I prefer, but Cozens has greater 2way utility. Close call for me.

- Zegras is a offers a swing for the fences. I like him for that reason.

- I agree, Suzuki compares reasonably well to Krebs in terms of style. It is surprising to me though that neither one will be top end producers in this draft class. Each of their teams has a role to play in that outcome.

- Legare is a producing at a better rate than some of the top players in this class. Decent size as well. I am debating between keeping him here and pushing Boldy up. Will have to monitor this.

- Kaliyev should be in more top10s.

I'm very high on Boldy, I see a top line left winger potential in him. Broberg also looks like a smooth skating dman with a great IQ.

I believe Newhook will translate better than Turcotte. Krebs for me is right up there and I wouldnt be surprised to see him go 6-10.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
PPG~ Dman that is maybe not as naturally talented as other options. Sounds like Dobson, I agree. I have him in the 11-15 range at present.

Then again, I don't rank any dmen in my top10.

Last year was the year to take a dman, not this year. Just too many dynamic forwards in the top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad