2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I still think we need another big piece in the top 6... perhaps you can get that through FA, but I'd much prefer to have a guy around the age of Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser. Maybe Dahlen or Lind become that, but it's unlikely. I think getting a top 6 player, maybe a player with a bit of an edge like a Tkachuk type player, is key going forward.

But yeah, i'd absolutely do 10-15 for Subban in a heartbeat. I just don't think we should be paying market price for him at this point, which would be the 1st + Juolevi+ probably a young forward prospect like Dahlen and maybe even more. I see what you mean about trying to load up while EP40 and Hughes are on ELCs. Makes sense, but I also don't trust Benning to be able to build the team to compete anyways, so it might just be wasted assets for nothing, but he is getting a tad better I will admit.

For a guy with size with top 6 potential that would be in our range or even later and could be ready for the NHL sooner rather than later, Brett Leason, like mentioned here many times, really intrigues me. Would love to see what he could do next to Pettersson. He's very fast and a huge body so he has the potential to even creep into the top 10 i think, but if he's available at our pick, I would love to see him in Canucks colours.

Count me in as a NON Leason fan. Im not sold on him and i certainly don't want to gamble an early pick on him in hopes of him turning out to be a linemate for EP40.

Would Much rather spend money on a guy like Mark Stone or even Panarin.

Leason to me screams physically mature compared to his competition.

Reactions: wetcoast

DanCloutiers5hole

May 15, 2012
Van City
lets say the canucks get pick 10-15
What kind of player are we hoping for here? #2 center? #2 D-man? etc?

Personally I’m hoping for one the other USDP players , Turcotte-Zegras-Boldy in that order . I suspect they might all be gone by 10 which in that case I would like one of the second tier dmen. Soderstrom-Seider-York in that order .

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Of course we'd rather just sign the player that doesn't cost assets to acquire other than cap space, but we have like a 0.5% cumulative chance at signing either of the players. They aren't coming here.

Draft strategy is simple: take the best player available. Don't draft players to be linemates of current players.

Reactions: wetcoast

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Count me in as a NON Leason fan. Im not sold on him and i certainly don't want to gamble an early pick on him in hopes of him turning out to be a linemate for EP40.

It would certainly be a gamble, but the team who takes a gamble on him could have a hell of a good player. You could go with a 'safer' pick, though I think Leason has a pretty decent floor where you'd still be getting a good player, maybe just not a full time top 6 player. Look at Michael Rasmussen. Sure, he was 18 his last season in the WHL, but he also put up much less compared to what Leason is doing right now, and he's an even bigger, more physically mature player than Leason is, and he was a 9th overall pick. Leason is scoring at a 1.9~ ppg pace while Michael Rasmussen finished at a 1.25 ppg pace while being bigger, albeit one year younger.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Assuming that the Canucks are drafting round 10th, Leason would be a reach at that point, and after the virtanen and Oli failures so far we can't afford another one.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Personally I’m hoping for one the other USDP players , Turcotte-Zegras-Boldy in that order . I suspect they might all be gone by 10 which in that case I would like one of the second tier dmen. Soderstrom-Seider-York in that order .

I guess it depends on where we end up picking but if turcotte is there we need to take him.

Basically a slightly better version of Horvat at their peaks IMO.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I guess it depends on where we end up picking but if turcotte is there we need to take him.

Basically a slightly better version of Horvat at their peaks IMO.

I think his stock is back rising now that he is playing again and will be gone before 10.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think his stock is back rising now that he is playing again and will be gone before 10.

I expect him to be in the top 4 but every year there is a faller and who knows exactly where the Canucks end up picking, maybe we get some luck finally.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I want Kreb if in the 10-14 range for a forward or Bryam if he somehow manages to fall that far.

Feel Kreb is getting under rated given everything going on and would look good on the left side.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I want Kreb if in the 10-14 range for a forward or Bryam if he somehow manages to fall that far.

Feel Kreb is getting under rated given everything going on and would look good on the left side.

I am good with Krebs also but I feel this wildcard chase will take us out of his range also.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At this point in the season with all teams but STL and FLA playing between 47-49 games, and the Canucks sitting at 50 points, I don't see them falling into the bottom 6 where OTT/NJ/Det/LA/Chi/PHI are in (between 41-43 points). 7 points is a lot to make up given how they have played this season.

So, barring a win into the top 3, the Canucks would draft in the 7-14 range, but more realistically somewhere +/- 2 picks from #10.

Realistically at that range, you're talking about someone who won't be in the NHL next season. Either returning to CHL, going off to NCAA or returning there, or remaining in Europe, unless you believe it's better for their development to play in the AHL like Zadina is doing for Detroit. Whether they would be NHL ready in 20-21 would depend on their development.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If we end up down in the 15, 16 range I am getting more intrigued by Connor McMichael. Might be another London produced Horvat type, possibly with a little more offence.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The more I analyze this draft, the more I see the flaws in these players. It doesn't look as good as last year, or the year before.

Consider the following:

- Krebs has hustle, passing and IQ, but lacks the pure skill for high end projection.
- Suzuki has that pure skill, but lacks the motor and defensive acumen required.
- Zegras is also highly skilled, but he floats and isn't hard to play against defensively.
- Soderstrom, whom I think has a balanced game, lacks pure skill and shooting.
- Broberg has a lot of tools, but the toolbox is questioned.
- Kaliyev is a great shooter, and not-so-good everywhere else.
- Newhook has IQ questions and has to be judged by inferior league competition.
- Pelletier is skilled, but has skating question marks and is only 5'9".
- McMicheal is a late climber. He's a good player, but projects as a middle6 forward.
- Lavoie can shoot and is big, but his vision and 2way game are questioned.
- Cam York is skilled and is a high end facilitator, but lacks a shot/shooting + size.
- Even Turcotte's game vs. durability can be questioned.

Boldy, Byram, Dach, Cozens, Podkolzin, Kakko and Hughes should all be gone by the time the Canucks pick.

It's really a difficult draft to gauge and it doesn't look as good as it once did.

Right now, in the Canucks’ range I would zero in on Soderstrom and/or Pelletier.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Kaliyev is definitely more than a shot. He has very good vision and he's tough to take off the puck.

I have a tough time seeing a better player available if he's there at 13 or whatever.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Do you like his game away from the puck.

Not gonna act like I've seen every Hamilton Bulldogs game (maybe 5-10) but the aforementioned qualities were my first impressions of him. He isn't special in either zone but if he's putting up 60 points then it's fine.

Best comparables I can find to him in terms of recently drafted prospects are Tkachuk/Boeser/Robertson. Should be getting top 5 consideration at this point.

Definitely a complimentary player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad