2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The questions about his shot (jack Hughes) worry me the most there aren’t many examples (henrik and Thornton aside) of players really succeding with a really weak shot. If it’s close I’d lean towards the player with the better shot espically if Hughes continues to have “bad” goal scoring games. Numbers

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I haven't had much time to follow the draft prospects nearly as much as I used to in years past. Who are your guys top 10 players in terms of potential?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I really really like Vaisili Podkozlin in the 4-8 range.

Winger w. Extreme skill and goal scoring ability. Game breaker.

Jeff skinner/Zach Parise like

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The questions about his shot (jack Hughes) worry me the most there aren’t many examples (henrik and Thornton aside) of players really succeding with a really weak shot. If it’s close I’d lean towards the player with the better shot espically if Hughes continues to have “bad” goal scoring games. Numbers

McDavid's shot isn't anything special.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
I'm just watching Hughes highlight clip for November. It looks like he had a heck of a month.. He has that was about him that definitely sets him apart from most.

Unfortunately, the biggest stand out for me is that despite getting a TON of breakaways, his conversion rate (at least over the last month) is astonishing. Time and time again unable to score.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Not much separating 1-5, reminds me of the Nico vs Nolan draft where we got Petey, hoping for a top 5 pick and another steal at the draft.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I haven't had much time to follow the draft prospects nearly as much as I used to in years past. Who are your guys top 10 players in terms of potential?

1. J. Hughes
  2. K. Kakko
  3. K. Dach
  4. D. Cozens
  5. B. Byram
  6. V. Podkolzin
  7. T. Zegras
  8. A. Turcotte
  9. M. Boldy
  10. P. Krebs
  11. R. Suzuki

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Are you serious? I’ve never heard anyone say that, but if you are being serious I’ll look into it

It's not really, even today. It was his lowest graded asset at the time of the draft too. I'd say he has an NHL average shot today, maybe slightly above average.

McDavid is just so good at everything else though.

Hughes' "lack" of exceptional shooting talent wouldn't really worry me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hockey Abstract NHLe:

Updated translation factors
.74 KHL
.58 SHL
.47 AHL
.43 SM-Liiga, Swiss NLA, NCHC
.38 H-East
.33 Big 10
.30 OHL
.29 WHL
.25 QMJHL
.23 ECAC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose you can dream, but a core group of the Hughes brothers; Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat on the same ice would be just sick.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Why do people have Podkolzin so high? Is it mainly because of his U18 tournament?

Cause his numbers in the MHL and VHL don't compare at all to Kravtsov, who was considered a reach at 9 by most.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I have Krebs over Cozens, but Dach over Krebs. Most of his plays are created through his great skating and size, but I just don't see that elite offensive skill like Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi, etc. I haven't seen a really nice saucer pass that lands perfectly onto his teammates stick or him dangle a player. I haven't seen it once, which makes me think he doesn't have that skill.

Krebs is a super smart player with no weaknesses. He can shoot or pass equally as good. He plays on a terrible team and organization compared to Cozens, so production needs to be looked at in context.

Dach has a good shot as well, but I think he lacks the confidence to shoot and it makes him easy to predict sometimes. Regardless, Dach is still at the top, skates great, high-end player, Getzlaf like because he uses that reach and skating ability to pick apart defences.

I wouldn't draft Podkolzin. He's a good player but too slow of a skater for me and I don't want that risk with a top 10 pick.

Zegras>Turcotte for me. Zegras is much more aggressive offensively and dangerous with the puck, he looks like a Keller 2.0 for me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I have Krebs over Cozens, but Dach over Krebs. Most of his plays are created through his great skating and size, but I just don't see that elite offensive skill like Pettersson, Glass, Vilardi, etc. I haven't seen a really nice saucer pass that lands perfectly onto his teammates stick or him dangle a player. I haven't seen it once, which makes me think he doesn't have that skill.

Krebs is a super smart player with no weaknesses. He can shoot or pass equally as good. He plays on a terrible team and organization compared to Cozens, so production needs to be looked at in context.

Dach has a good shot as well, but I think he lacks the confidence to shoot and it makes him easy to predict sometimes. Regardless, Dach is still at the top, skates great, high-end player, Getzlaf like because he uses that reach and skating ability to pick apart defences.

I wouldn't draft Podkolzin. He's a good player but too slow of a skater for me and I don't want that risk with a top 10 pick.

Zegras>Turcotte for me. Zegras is much more aggressive offensively and dangerous with the puck, he looks like a Keller 2.0 for me.

Turcotte just doesn't have the body of work this year, but last year, aggression was definitely on the side of Turcotte, not Zegras. I like Zegras' skill more. I find that he floats. With the puck, he's very slick though.

What do you think of Suzuki?

@Catamarca Livin: The USHL is a feeder league to the other American leagues. We rarely see a player graduate directly from the USHL to the NHL, and that's why there is no standardized equivalency. That said, of the players that graduate to the other leagues and then advance to the NHL, only the ones from ECAC can be said to have a lower NHLe when compared to the CHL. You can infer what you want from there.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Turcotte just doesn't have the body of work this year, but last year, aggression was definitely on the side of Turcotte, not Zegras. I like Zegras' skill more. I find that he floats. With the puck, he's very slick though.

What do you think of Suzuki?
Turcotte definitely has a good two-way game, but the better offensive player should be valued higher.

I think Suzuki is underrated. I might have him higher than Turcotte, but I want to see how Turcotte looks when he's healthy. I like that Suzuki is a dual-threat offensively and even though he isn't exciting to watch like Zegras, he is still effective similar to Krebs. He can make difficult passes, but he makes the right passes. He has a strong shot. Not as quick as Turcotte, but I think better offensively and more dangerous with the puck.

I'm interested in your list so far... Here's what mine looks like before the WJ.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Dach
4. Krebs
5. Zegras
6. Cozens
7. Byram
8. Suzuki
9. Turcotte
10. Newhook

Not sure how I feel about Newhook. He's been one of the best since midget and he is really skilled offensively, but he should be producing more.

Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Turcotte definitely has a good two-way game, but the better offensive player should be valued higher.

I think Suzuki is underrated. I might have him higher than Turcotte, but I want to see how Turcotte looks when he's healthy. I like that Suzuki is a dual-threat offensively and even though he isn't exciting to watch like Zegras, he is still effective similar to Krebs. He can make difficult passes, but he makes the right passes. He has a strong shot. Not as quick as Turcotte, but I think better offensively and more dangerous with the puck.

I'm interested in your list so far... Here's what mine looks like before the WJ.

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Dach
4. Krebs
5. Zegras
6. Cozens
7. Byram
8. Suzuki
9. Turcotte
10. Newhook

Not sure how I feel about Newhook. He's been one of the best since midget and he is really skilled offensively, but he should be producing more.
How so? Newhook has one of the best production records in BCHL history.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
New potato

1. Kaapo Kakko
2. Jack Hughes
3. Mikko Kokkonen
4. Arthur Kaliyev
5. Jakob Pelletier
6. Pavel Dorofeyev
7. Trevor Zegras
8. Nathan Légaré
9. Kirby Dach
10. Bobby Brink

I'd find a way to fit Byram in there (And Cozens), but not bad for a none mainstream take.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad