2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Turn that frown upside down Melvin.

We may have differing opinions about our beloved Canucks, but we’re all at the same cauldron here. If I inadvertently derailed the thread, then that’s on me. At the end of the day, we are all crazy Canuck fans talking about hockey in August. If my opinions lately are even more outlandish than usual, it’s because I’m trying to bring a bit of humor to the hockey boards in the middle of August. It’s possible that my opinions will become more serious in October.

If there’s anything that my personal life from last month taught me, is that life is too short to take things too seriously. Cheers.
Hindu please give us some 2019 draft scoops brother, I wanna hear your hot take.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hindu please give us some 2019 draft scoops brother, I wanna hear your hot take.

I still have to do some more research before I can express my opinions. I will say this however: For those of you waiting for Jack Hughes to be our savior, my advice is this: don’t.

From my diagnosis, Hughes will NOT live up to his hype. Not by a long shot. His career trajectory will be similar to that of ex Canucks and ex NHL journeyman Mike Sillinger.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I still have to do some more research before I can express my opinions. I will say this however: For those of you waiting for Jack Hughes to be our savior, my advice is this: don’t.

From my diagnosis, Hughes will NOT live up to his hype. Not by a long shot. His career trajectory will be similar to that of ex Canucks and ex NHL journeyman Mike Sillinger.
Interesting, I like that call brother.
Jack Hughes = Mike Sillinger

DO NOT DRAFT JACK HUGHES you heard it here first folks

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So what, you think Beagle and Roussel are going to have more impact here than Tavares will in Toronto? You think a couple more defensive guys who can't score are going to make some big difference? Look at how much difference Dorsett made.

And seriously, can you count contracts? Add up how many vets the team has. Which vet's going to hit the press box for a rookie? Just watch.
I’m referring to the fact that you continually post that EP will be playing in Sweden. Do you actually believe this? It was a bad joke the first time you mentioned it

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

What is your diagnosis based on exactly? Not enough veteran mentorship in Jack’s game?

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver

yes this true, lets trade our 1st + pettersson for trouba then

Reactions: geebaan

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
i'll respect albeit vehemently disagree with this assessment if you actually give any sort of explanation.

Obviously because Hughes lacks the veteran mentorship that drives wins in the NHL. Clearly adding Beagle and Roussel will have a far bigger impact to our roster than selecting an 18 year old Hughes with the 1OA pick.

Don’t question HindustanSmyl, he’s done a rigorous analysis on this.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I’m referring to the fact that you continually post that EP will be playing in Sweden. Do you actually believe this? It was a bad joke the first time you mentioned it
Why wouldn't he? He can make more money in Sweden than riding the bus in Utica. He's a rookie, they can send him down without worrying about waivers. They will definitely try to do so because unless Benning sends down a couple of vets through waivers (which he is loath to do) he's going to have to trade someone to fit Pettersson in to the lineup. And trading is also something Benning sucks at. My guess is Pettersson bails for another season.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Why wouldn't he? He can make more money in Sweden than riding the bus in Utica. He's a rookie, they can send him down without worrying about waivers. They will definitely try to do so because unless Benning sends down a couple of vets through waivers (which he is loath to do) he's going to have to trade someone to fit Pettersson in to the lineup. And trading is also something Benning sucks at. My guess is Pettersson bails for another season.
I really can’t tell if you are trolling? Does anyone else think this? Players in the SHL make between $50k and $250k. If he was the highest paid player in the league (not sure if that’s possible), he would only have to play 17 games in the NHL to exceed that salary. His contract is pro-rated based on the % of games he plays in the NHL v AHL. You honestly believe he will play less than 17 games in the NHL this season. I’d bet my Yaletown townhouse he plays at least half the season in Vancouver.

Edit. It’s hard to find data on SHL individual salaries but I read his base salary was $3500 USD last season

Double edit. Benning and Aquilini need him on the Canucks to sell tickets, not to mention he is too good for the AHL imo. Does he even have an out clause?

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I really can’t tell if you are trolling? Does anyone else think this? Players in the SHL make between $50k and $250k. If he was the highest played player in the league (not sure if that’s possible), he would only have to play 17 games in the NHL to exceed that salary. His contract is pro-rated based on the % of games he plays in the NHL v AHL. You honestly believe he will play less than 17 games in the NHL this season. I’d bet my Yaletown townhouse he plays at least half the season in Vancouver.

Edit. It’s hard to find data on SHL individual salaries but I read his base salary was $3500 USD last season

Double edit. Benning and Aquilini need him on the Canucks to sell tickets, not to mention he is too good for the AHL imo. Does he even have an out clause?
Again: how are the Canucks going to fit him into the lineup? Which vet(s) go? To where? What kind of deal is Benning going to swing with the rest the NHL knowing he's painted himself into a corner and has to shed some bodies?

This is not based on whether Pettersson should be here next season. He absolutely should. He destroyed the SHL as a rookie. He clearly has no more to prove in Sweden. Too good for the AHL? Hard to say after playing zero AHL games, but whatever. His talent is beyond doubt. Sure. But how do you fit him in?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Again: how are the Canucks going to fit him into the lineup? Which vet(s) go? To where? What kind of deal is Benning going to swing with the rest the NHL knowing he's painted himself into a corner and has to shed some bodies?

This is not based on whether Pettersson should be here next season. He absolutely should. He destroyed the SHL as a rookie. He clearly has no more to prove in Sweden. Too good for the AHL? Hard to say after playing zero AHL games, but whatever. His talent is beyond doubt. Sure. But how do you fit him in?
There is room for him. He will take priority over Gaunce, Goldobin and Leipsic. Also, Schaller likely won’t be ready to start the season. He will be the one rookie that will make the team and he isn’t running home to Sweden

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
There is room for him. He will take priority over Gaunce, Goldobin and Leipsic. Also, Schaller likely won’t be ready to start the season. He will be the one rookie that will make the team and he isn’t running home to Sweden
Why would he take priority over Goldobin and Gaunce? Don't they have to be exposed to waivers? I thought Goldobin was a great return for Burrows once upon a time. You think Benning won't want to give him another shot?

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Having watched last year's U18s, the WJC Summer Showcase, all of the televised Hlinka tournament games, as well as quite a bit of archived shift-by-shift footage of Hughes, Turcotte, Newhook, Kakko, Podkolzin, Krebs, Dach, Cozens, Lavoie, and a few others, I have the following tiers based on the players I have studied:

A. Elite offensive potential:

1. Hughes

2. Turcotte, Podkolzin, Kakko

------------

B. Top six potential:

3. Cozens

4. Krebs, Newhook, Dach

5. Lavoie

------------

The vision, puck skills and anticipation of Group A are above that of any of the Group B players I have seen. As of right now, I see the Group A players as the cream of the crop -- exceptional thinkers who are always around the puck, who can anticipate where the play will go next and put themselves in a position to intercept the puck or involve themselves in the play.

Kakko is a puck control monster with his size and reach; Podkolzin's shooting skills, meanwhile, are the best of the bunch. Turcotte is a takeaway magnet with a keen sense of where to be, great lower body strength to push through obstacles, in addition to great wheels and shiftiness to move the puck up the ice. I like the two-way awareness of the Group A2 players (Turcotte, Kakko, Podkolzin). Hughes is the sneakiest and quickest, but perhaps the lightest and most pass-first of the group. He doesn't have the same power as the others, but possesses the most finesse -- he's something of a McDavid-Gaudreau hybrid.

The rest have some significant faults and, I find, lesser puck skills than the top four.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronning On Empty

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Obviously because Hughes lacks the veteran mentorship that drives wins in the NHL. Clearly adding Beagle and Roussel will have a far bigger impact to our roster than selecting an 18 year old Hughes with the 1OA pick.

Don’t question HindustanSmyl, he’s done a rigorous analysis on this.

NOW we’re speaking the same language. ;).

Finally - my wisdom and teachings have reached you young grasshopper.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Having watched last year's U18s, the WJC Summer Showcase, all of the televised Hlinka tournament games, as well as quite a bit of archived shift-by-shift footage of Hughes, Turcotte, Newhook, Kakko, Podkolzin, Krebs, Dach, Cozens, Lavoie, and a few others, I have the following tiers based on the players I have studied:

1. Hughes

------------

B. Top six potential:

3. Cozens

4. Krebs, Newhook, Dach

5. Lavoie

------------

The vision, puck skills and anticipation of Group A are above that of any of the Group B players I have seen. As of right now, I see the Group A players as the cream of the crop -- exceptional thinkers who are always around the puck, who can anticipate where the play will go next and put themselves in a position to intercept the puck or involve themselves in the play.

Kakko is a puck control monster with his size and reach; Podkolzin's shooting skills, meanwhile, are the best of the bunch. Turcotte is a takeaway magnet with a keen sense of where to be, great lower body strength to push through obstacles, in addition to great wheels and shiftiness to move the puck up the ice. I like the two-way awareness of the Group B players. Hughes is the sneakiest and quickest, but perhaps the lightest and most pass-first of the group. He doesn't have the same power as the others, but possesses the most finesse -- he's something of a McDavid-Gaudreau hybrid.

The rest have some significant faults and, I find, lesser puck skills than the top four.
I think Podkolzin is being overrated because of the Hlinka. A great sniper and talent but was barely even regarded as a 1st round talent before-hand. He needs some overall work to his game and isn’t ready for full time KHL domination yet (ala Kravtsov)

Newhook should be classified in the elite tier, he’s done unprecedented things in the BCHL for his age and has looked very elite.

Reactions: biturbo19

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not really. Especially when they'll just lose possession of the puck once they've won the draw.

Great shut down centers don’t necessarily have to have great possession metrics. Look at Colton Sissons in Nashville for instance. He’s quickly becoming one of the best shut down centers in the league and actually finished 14th overall in Selke nominations (he received two votes).

Brandon Sutter is in the same boat. His iCorsi isn’t great, but there’s a reason why most hockey pundits agreed that he had a very good year this past season. There’s more to life than iCorsi and criticizing Canucks management....especially in August. Time to get some fresh air son.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think Podkolzin is being overrated because of the Hlinka. A great sniper and talent but was barely even regarded as a 1st round talent before-hand. He needs some overall work to his game and isn’t ready for full time KHL domination yet (ala Kravtsov)

Newhook should be classified in the elite tier, he’s done unprecedented things in the BCHL for his age and has looked very elite.

Agreed on both points. The major question with Newhook is his ability to play C long-term. I think he settles on the wing (so far).

1. Hughes

------------

B. Top six potential:

3. Cozens

4. Krebs, Newhook, Dach

5. Lavoie

------------

Kakko is a puck control monster with his size and reach; Podkolzin's shooting skills, meanwhile, are the best of the bunch. Turcotte is a takeaway magnet with a keen sense of where to be, great lower body strength to push through obstacles, in addition to great wheels and shiftiness to move the puck up the ice. I like the two-way awareness of the Group B players. Hughes is the sneakiest and quickest, but perhaps the lightest and most pass-first of the group. He doesn't have the same power as the others, but possesses the most finesse -- he's something of a McDavid-Gaudreau hybrid.

Appreciate your analysis.

My read is a bit different. I question the ultimate upside of some of the players you have in Group A, while I think a few players in Group B have higher ceilings than those in Group A. For instance, Newhook, Dach and Cozens have very high ceilings. Meanwhile, I question the ultimate upside of Turcotte and Podkolzin. The reasons are different for each, of course.

Turcotte is my favourite. He's got everything save for size. So smart and tenacious. Yet, I'm not sure he as 1C upside. Where as Cozens and Dach have most of the tools required. Turcotte will also be a hard read considering that he will be playing behind Hughes. Tough call.

In any case, I think the Canucks will take the best centre available this year. Of the players you have listed, I think only Dach and Turcotte project as long-term Cs. (Outside of Hughes, who has the talent to lock down a C position as well)

Reactions: Tryamkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad