2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I think Podkolzin is being overrated because of the Hlinka. A great sniper and talent but was barely even regarded as a 1st round talent before-hand. He needs some overall work to his game and isn’t ready for full time KHL domination yet (ala Kravtsov)

Newhook should be classified in the elite tier, he’s done unprecedented things in the BCHL for his age and has looked very elite.
I've watched both players on a shift-by-shift basis on numerous occasions and came away unimpressed with Newhook's overall game. He is quick, but even at the BCHL level does not dictate the pace of the game enough when he is on the ice. While Hughes, Turcotte, Kakko and Podkolzin anticipate plays and think ahead of the opposition's next move, Newhook is a very reactive player -- not proactive. As a result, he spends a lot of time away from the puck and doesn't dominate plays. He moves the puck well when he has it due to his great speed and can distribute the puck fairly accurately, but he doesn't drive the offense enough. He doesn't separate the opposition from the puck enough, nor does he put himself in a position to get in their way. Turcotte, Podkolzin, and Kakko actively disrupt their opponents. Newhook isn't the type of player who has the puck on his stick all the time; even at the BCHL level, I've so far only seen a player who one needs to watch patiently for something interesting to happen. I don't place as much value on the types of players who have great wheels but don't touch the puck enough and spend a lot of time chasing. He is more of a speedy opportunist than an active, dominant line driver.

Newhook's influence on the ice seems to contradict his statistical record. I don't think he reads the game as quickly as Group A. I think he would have looked a lot more like Krebs and Dach last year if he had played in the WHL. Krebs is another high-speed player.

Podkolzin impresses me for reasons besides his goal-scoring prowess. He has a very strong defensive mindset without the puck, and is quick to support his defense, getting in lanes on the backcheck to cause his opponent problems and blocking shots. He is a 200-ft player. He also has exhibited puck skills beyond anything I've seen from any player so far outside of Hughes, Turcotte, and Kakko. He is always engaged in the play, has a physical edge to his game, and is strong on the puck despite being only 165 lbs. He plays with determination and is quick on his skates -- agile, and capable of jumping up into the play quickly with an explosive step. His ability to anticipate and put himself in good defensive position to turn the play around is a lot like Turcotte's. His shot release really only adds to his strengths. He's intelligent. There is so much to like about his overall game.

For the record, Hockey Prospect ranked Podkolzin #9 in June. Their rankings are generally among the best. I see him jumping further up their list by the time of their next publication.

Last edited:

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Appreciate your analysis.

My read is a bit different. I question the ultimate upside of some of the players you have in Group A, while I think a few players in Group B have higher ceilings than those in Group A. For instance, Newhook, Dach and Cozens have very high ceilings. Meanwhile, I question the ultimate upside of Turcotte and Podkolzin. The reasons are different for each, of course.

Turcotte is my favourite. He's got everything save for size. So smart and tenacious. Yet, I'm not sure he as 1C upside. Where as Cozens and Dach have most of the tools required. Turcotte will also be a hard read considering that he will be playing behind Hughes. Tough call.

In any case, I think the Canucks will take the best centre available this year. Of the players you have listed, I think only Dach and Turcotte project as long-term Cs. (Outside of Hughes, who has the talent to lock down a C position as well)
I like the overall two-way package that Cozens provides, with his size, speed, and power. I don't see enough finesse from him to categorize him among the top players, though. He plays a very conventional power center type of game that could definitely make him a two-way, first-line center in the NHL one day. From an offensive perspective, though, he hasn't shown elite offensive abilities. He has a good shot, moves the puck quite well, is dangerous around the net, can make power moves around opponents and rag the puck around, but I don't see the same offensive skill from him that I see from my Top 4. I have him as the fifth-best forward right now because of his complete game.

Dach leaves me wanting more sometimes. He has a better offensive skill set than Cozens but doesn't have anywhere near the same motor or determination. He is another player who, like Newhook, hovers around a lot without touching the puck. When he has it, he can reach a fairly good top speed, and he is very dangerous around the net. He is a pass-first type of player who can hold possession of the puck along the boards and feather skilled passes to teammates. However, he doesn't have the exceptional mind of the Group A players to be able to anticipate, intercept plays and turn the game around on a consistent basis. He is another reactive player whose offensive instincts seem a little more pedestrian than the top group. His defensive game isn't better than the top players on my list either, nor are his puck skills. He is a big man with good puck control, but not the dynamic puck skills of the top group.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Blade Paradigm, I will defer to your wisdom on this one. I haven’t seen much of these players as yet, and do not want to comment in the definitive until I do. Your take is excellent. Very informative. I’ll incorporate that information into my own understanding moving forward.

I just want Turcotte or Hughes in a Canucks uniform a year from now.

Reactions: geebaan

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No disrespect because the Canucks are the Western team I cheer for (after my Eastern team), but I want Vancouver to bottom out this year and have the Hughes brothers anchoring that team for the future.
I do not want Colorado winning the lottery and certainly not Edmonton anywhere near it.
That would be huge to transition from the Sedins to the Hughes. Good luck.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
No disrespect because the Canucks are the Western team I cheer for (after my Eastern team), but I want Vancouver to bottom out this year and have the Hughes brothers anchoring that team for the future.
I do not want Colorado winning the lottery and certainly not Edmonton anywhere near it.
That would be huge to transition from the Sedins to the Hughes. Good luck.

Cowards want their team to bottom out. It’s called “buying a prayer and a hope.” No respectable GM or coach will want their team to bottom out......especially with the lottery odds. If the Canucks are destined to miss the playoffs (as is my real opinion by the way), then my hope is that they have similar luck to how Carolina did in this year’s lottery.......or how NJ and Philly did the year before.

Play hard, get the team to compete, and let the hockey gods smile down upon thee for competing with integrity by allowing us to get lucky in the lottery.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Cowards want their team to bottom out. It’s called “buying a prayer and a hope.” No respectable GM or coach will want their team to bottom out......especially with the lottery odds. If the Canucks are destined to miss the playoffs (as is my real opinion by the way), then my hope is that they have similar luck to how Carolina did in this year’s lottery.......or how NJ and Philly did the year before.

Play hard, get the team to compete, and let the hockey gods smile down upon thee for competing with integrity by allowing us to get lucky in the lottery.
I'll leave it at this:
If Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs, I hope they win the lottery.
Would love to see this for the organization.
If you can keep your respect at the same time doing it, bonus.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

There are no hockey gods, just hockey odds.

Since the NHL went to the 3 lottery system in 2016 the winners have been:

#1: 30th, 26th, 31st
#2: 25th, 19th, 21st
#3: 27th, 24th, 28th

78% of lottery winners finished in the bottom 8 spots prior to the lottery, including all 3 #1 winners.

So if there are hockey gods they care less about who wins than who has the most ping pong balls in the machine.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There are no hockey gods, just hockey odds.

Since the NHL went to the 3 lottery system in 2016 the winners have been:

#1: 30th, 26th, 31st
#2: 25th, 19th, 21st
#3: 27th, 24th, 28th

78% of lottery winners finished in the bottom 8 spots prior to the lottery, including all 3 #1 winners.

So if there are hockey gods they care less about who wins than who has the most ping pong balls in the machine.

My analysis and diagnosis says otherwise, but whatever. Lets agree to disagree on this. I don't know about you, but my fists are getting tired from getting punched so much by your face. ;)

The bottom line is this: The Canucks should do whatever they can to field a competitive team (without mortgaging the future), so that they can make the playoffs. Push hard, and let nature take its course. I'd much rather see the Canucks push hard and get close to the playoffs and then have a fate similar to that of Carolina this year, rather than have a miserable season and win the lottery like Buffalo did.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
My analysis and diagnosis says otherwise, but whatever. Lets agree to disagree on this. I don't know about you, but my fists are getting tired from getting punched so much by your face. ;)

The bottom line is this: The Canucks should do whatever they can to field a competitive team (without mortgaging the future), so that they can make the playoffs. Push hard, and let nature take its course. I'd much rather see the Canucks push hard and get close to the playoffs and then have a fate similar to that of Carolina this year, rather than have a miserable season and win the lottery like Buffalo did.

By analysis and diagnosis do you actually mean re-watching your 1989 VHS copy of Don Cherry’s Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em hockey dozens of times?

Because I’ve never seen any actual analysis from you on these boards. Maybe that word means something different to you.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Besides haven’t the Canucks been “competing” and “playing hard” the past 3 seasons? That sure as hell didn’t result in us finishing any better than Buffalo and the other “tankers”.

Why is the upcoming season going to be any different? Because Beagle and Roussel? lol

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I've watched both players on a shift-by-shift basis on numerous occasions and came away unimpressed with Newhook's overall game. He is quick, but even at the BCHL level does not dictate the pace of the game enough when he is on the ice. While Hughes, Turcotte, Kakko and Podkolzin anticipate plays and think ahead of the opposition's next move, Newhook is a very reactive player -- not proactive. As a result, he spends a lot of time away from the puck and doesn't dominate plays. He moves the puck well when he has it due to his great speed and can distribute the puck fairly accurately, but he doesn't drive the offense enough. He doesn't separate the opposition from the puck enough, nor does he put himself in a position to get in their way. Turcotte, Podkolzin, and Kakko actively disrupt their opponents. Newhook isn't the type of player who has the puck on his stick all the time; even at the BCHL level, I've so far only seen a player who one needs to watch patiently for something interesting to happen. I don't place as much value on the types of players who have great wheels but don't touch the puck enough and spend a lot of time chasing. He is more of a speedy opportunist than an active, dominant line driver.

Newhook's influence on the ice seems to contradict his statistical record. I don't think he reads the game as quickly as Group A. I think he would have looked a lot more like Krebs and Dach last year if he had played in the WHL. Krebs is another high-speed player.

Podkolzin impresses me for reasons besides his goal-scoring prowess. He has a very strong defensive mindset without the puck, and is quick to support his defense, getting in lanes on the backcheck to cause his opponent problems and blocking shots. He is a 200-ft player. He also has exhibited puck skills beyond anything I've seen from any player so far outside of Hughes, Turcotte, and Kakko. He is always engaged in the play, has a physical edge to his game, and is strong on the puck despite being only 165 lbs. He plays with determination and is quick on his skates -- agile, and capable of jumping up into the play quickly with an explosive step. His ability to anticipate and put himself in good defensive position to turn the play around is a lot like Turcotte's. His shot release really only adds to his strengths. He's intelligent. There is so much to like about his overall game.

For the record, Hockey Prospect ranked Podkolzin #9 in June. Their rankings are generally among the best. I see him jumping further up their list by the time of their next publication.
I can see the points you’re making, and they’re valid, but Newhook can still end up on the wing and be an elite scorer with his scoring ability without disrupting play and anticipating the play like others, we see it all the time. While it’s a good trait to have, it’s not necessarily to be an elite forward, in fact some forwards can thrive off of just having that killer offensive instinct.

I’m very high on Podkolzin, in fact I even made his HF thread before he blew up because I saw raw potential ooze from his stick. He’s got the drive, he’s got the talent, but can he produce? Denisenko has the talent, but sometimes it’s just about more than that.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Ummm haven't our nucks been "competing" and trying to make the playoffs the last 3 years?

How has that turned out in your opinion?

Mortgaging the future you say...I would probably bet my left nut that this will be the year that Benning does just that so he can draft Jack Hughes.

I've read your comments about Jack and your not very hi on him so my question to you is...how are you going to feel about Benning if he does just that and it costs us one of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and probably our 2020 1st round pick?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ummm haven't our nucks been "competing" and trying to make the playoffs the last 3 years?

How has that turned out in your opinion?

Mortgaging the future you say...I would probably bet my left nut that this will be the year that Benning does just that so he can draft Jack Hughes.

I've read your comments about Jack and your not very hi on him so my question to you is...how are you going to feel about Benning if he does just that and it costs us one of Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson and probably our 2020 1st round pick?

LOL. My opinion of Jack Hughes IS high.

I'm just messing around.

I'm honestly only on here (in July/August) because of the Fantasy Draft.

Apology to those that were reading my intentionally absurd comments and taking them literally.

Canucks suck right now, but this isn't a sprint...........it's a marathon. We will rise one day, even if it's not within the next few years.

My advice to the hardcore contingent on here is to take a deep breath and relax. Enjoy hockey for what it is........a lovely distraction from our work and/or studies. I especially learned this after 2011.

As far as acting like a "chicken little" goes and running around claiming that the "sky is falling!"...........I've been there before. 20 years ago during the Messier era. What I learned from that time period is that being overly criticial and negative is pointless.

You only hurt you in the end by attracting negativity into your life.

Most of us are aged between 18-45. It's EXTREMELY likely that we will experience 1-3 more Canuck cup runs throughout our life.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. We're all here to have logical discussions about the Canucks, but when logical discussion turns into excessive negativity..........I just think it might be a good time to reassess as to why you follow hockey and the Canucks.

Cheers everyone. It's August. Go enjoy the weather! Save the serious discussions for October. :cool:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
LOL. My opinion of Jack Hughes IS high.

I'm just messing around.

I'm honestly only on here (in July/August) because of the Fantasy Draft.

Apology to those that were reading my intentionally absurd comments and taking them literally.

Canucks suck right now, but this isn't a sprint...........it's a marathon. We will rise one day, even if it's not within the next few years.

My advice to the hardcore contingent on here is to take a deep breath and relax. Enjoy hockey for what it is........a lovely distraction from our work and/or studies. I especially learned this after 2011.

As far as acting like a "chicken little" goes and running around claiming that the "sky is falling!"...........I've been there before. 20 years ago during the Messier era. What I learned from that time period is that being overly criticial and negative is pointless.

You only hurt you in the end by attracting negativity into your life.

Most of us are aged between 18-45. It's EXTREMELY likely that we will experience 1-3 more Canuck cup runs throughout our life.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. We're all here to have logical discussions about the Canucks, but when logical discussion turns into excessive negativity..........I just think it might be a good time to reassess as to why you follow hockey and the Canucks.

Cheers everyone. It's August. Go enjoy the weather! Save the serious discussions for October. :cool:

Some truth in this. It is a marathon, but all the more reason to have competent people making decisions today. It’s gonna take a long time already, there’s no point in adding to it with foolish moves like Gudbranson, etc. Take the long view and make moves that align with a long view. That’s best for all.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Some truth in this. It is a marathon, but all the more reason to have competent people making decisions today. It’s gonna take a long time already, there’s no point in adding to it with foolish moves like Gudbranson, etc. Take the long view and make moves that align with a long view. That’s best for all.

Agreed. But again - is it really worth stressing over and logging on here day after day and blasting Benning?

I'm not saying that YOU do that (you genuinely seem like a guy that is looking for logical discussion on here), but I just see so many guys on here being so damned NEGATIVE. All the time! Like why even follow hockey or the Canucks if following the team is going to bring you that much pain?

Like I said - the "Chicken Littles" were in full force back in 1997 during the Keenan-Linden fiasco. What happened eventually? From 2001-2015, we pretty much did everything outside of winning a cup. We made the playoffs 11 out of a possible 14 times, won divisional championships, conference championships, Presidents Trophies, and numerous individual accoloades.

Sports is always cyclical.

The Oilers last decade were even worse managed than the Canucks.........and even those clowns seemed to turn it around eventually.

In the end, being a fan and being there for your team is more important than being an excessively negative Chicken Little. That's just my opinion however.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agreed. But again - is it really worth stressing over and logging on here day after day and blasting Benning?

I'm not saying that YOU do that (you genuinely seem like a guy that is looking for logical discussion on here), but I just see so many guys on here being so damned NEGATIVE. All the time! Like why even follow hockey or the Canucks if following the team is going to bring you that much pain?

Like I said - the "Chicken Littles" were in full force back in 1997 during the Keenan-Linden fiasco. What happened eventually? From 2001-2015, we pretty much did everything outside of winning a cup. We made the playoffs 11 out of a possible 14 times, won divisional championships, conference championships, Presidents Trophies, and numerous individual accoloades.

Sports is always cyclical.

The Oilers last decade were even worse managed than the Canucks.........and even those clowns seemed to turn it around eventually.

In the end, being a fan and being there for your team is more important than being an excessively negative Chicken Little. That's just my opinion however.

Beats apathy I guess. Negativity is a pretty normal reaction when a passionate fanbase goes through a multi-year downturn, made worse by the growing perception that the people in charge are excacerbating the problem with poor, short-term oriented decisions.

I think it beats not caring at all. When decisions are viewed as smart or long term oriented (trading for Dahlen, drafting Pettersson, Hughes) then the reaction has been generally positive.

Nothing unusual really.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Great shut down centers don’t necessarily have to have great possession metrics. Look at Colton Sissons in Nashville for instance. He’s quickly becoming one of the best shut down centers in the league and actually finished 14th overall in Selke nominations (he received two votes).

Brandon Sutter is in the same boat. His iCorsi isn’t great, but there’s a reason why most hockey pundits agreed that he had a very good year this past season. There’s more to life than iCorsi and criticizing Canucks management....especially in August. Time to get some fresh air son.

Not even worth responding to. It's off topic, and the fact that you don't understand hockey analytics means I'd be wasting my time.

And here you prove you don't understand how odds work either.

Your analysis and diagnosis is based on pure bunk. But hey, if you're happy with more of the same where we trade away draft picks, sign aging veterans to long-term contracts, neglect to acquire draft picks, and ice a veteran team then have at it hoss. Just don't be upset when you're still cheering for a bottom feeder hockey team for the next 10-20 years because that's exactly what you asked for.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Not even worth responding to. It's off topic, and the fact that you don't understand hockey analytics means I'd be wasting my time.

And here you prove you don't understand how odds work either.

Your analysis and diagnosis is based on pure bunk. But hey, if you're happy with more of the same where we trade away draft picks, sign aging veterans to long-term contracts, neglect to acquire draft picks, and ice a veteran team then have at it hoss. Just don't be upset when you're still cheering for a bottom feeder hockey team for the next 10-20 years because that's exactly what you asked for.

“10-20 years”

Lol.

Right.

Sorry JerichoCanuck, I really am, but some people choose not to live in a world where the sky is always grey.

If you honestly aren’t excited about Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Dahlen, Demko, Dipietro, and even guys like Woo and Lind, then there’s no real chance of “saving you” at this point. #Save_us_222

If you honestly believe that Benning will NOT find a way to create room for a Dahlen or a Leipsic or a Goldobin if they prove themselves worthy, and that it’s impossible to do so because of our veteran contracts, then there’s no real chance of saving you at this point.

Meh. Whatever. I’ve seen this movie before.

20 years ago. The Messier era.

Even back then, there were “chicken little’s” running around bemoaning that “the sky was falling!” Back then however, there were no hockey message boards.

There was Dan Russell Sports Talk on CKNW.

The Messier era was supposed to set us back “10-20 years.” But what ended up happening?

Between 2001-2015, the Canucks only missed the playoffs 3 times, and pretty much did and achieved everything outside of winning a Stanley Cup.

Numerous individual accolades, Presidents Trophies, Divisional and Conference championships.

So based on that? I think it’s a matter of WHEN not IF as to whether the Canucks rise again.

But hey - if you enjoy the sky being grey all the time (which based on your posts, seems to be your forte), then more power to you.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Early top10 for this draft:

1. Jack Hughes, C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
2. Kaapo Kakko, RW (TPS - Liiga)
3. Dylan Cozens, C (Lethbridge - WHL)
4. Alex Turcotte, C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
5. Peyton Krebs, LW (Kootenay - WHL)
6. Kirby Dach, C (Saskatoon - WHL)
7. Bowen Byram, D (Vancouver - WHL)
8. Alex Newhook, C/W (Victoria - BCHL)
9. Cam York, D (US U18 National Team - USDP)
10. Victor Soderstrom, D (Brynas - SuperElit)

The ones of most interest for VAN are: Hughes, Cozens and Turcotte. I don't see them taking a winger, nor do I think they go with another left side dman. It will be a centre. To get one of the better ones in this draft, it's likely they need a top4 pick...

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I can see the points you’re making, and they’re valid, but Newhook can still end up on the wing and be an elite scorer with his scoring ability without disrupting play and anticipating the play like others, we see it all the time. While it’s a good trait to have, it’s not necessarily to be an elite forward, in fact some forwards can thrive off of just having that killer offensive instinct.

I’m very high on Podkolzin, in fact I even made his HF thread before he blew up because I saw raw potential ooze from his stick. He’s got the drive, he’s got the talent, but can he produce? Denisenko has the talent, but sometimes it’s just about more than that.
I think he goes #3

Reactions: Tryamkin

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Great shut down centers don’t necessarily have to have great possession metrics. Look at Colton Sissons in Nashville for instance. He’s quickly becoming one of the best shut down centers in the league and actually finished 14th overall in Selke nominations (he received two votes).

Brandon Sutter is in the same boat. His iCorsi isn’t great, but there’s a reason why most hockey pundits agreed that he had a very good year this past season. There’s more to life than iCorsi and criticizing Canucks management....especially in August. Time to get some fresh air son.

Sorry son.... which hockey pundits said Sutter had “a very good year”? Link?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I think you have barely watched him and you have no idea what you’re talking about or can predict what will happen 10 months from now.

I have actually watched him thanks for your opinion and assumption though. I can predict whatever the **** I want thats why it's called a “PREDICTION”. Thanks though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Early top10 for this draft:

1. Jack Hughes, C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
2. Kaapo Kakko, RW (TPS - Liiga)
3. Dylan Cozens, C (Lethbridge - WHL)
4. Alex Turcotte, C (US U18 National Team - USDP)
5. Peyton Krebs, LW (Kootenay - WHL)
6. Kirby Dach, C (Saskatoon - WHL)
7. Bowen Byram, D (Vancouver - WHL)
8. Alex Newhook, C/W (Victoria - BCHL)
9. Cam York, D (US U18 National Team - USDP)
10. Victor Soderstrom, D (Brynas - SuperElit)

The ones of most interest for VAN are: Hughes, Cozens and Turcotte. I don't see them taking a winger, nor do I think they go with another left side dman. It will be a centre. To get one of the better ones in this draft, it's likely they need a top4 pick...

I'd like to hear some opinions of Zegras? He seems like a guys that got really overshadowed by some of the other NTDP centers. Pronman had him 3rd, in a tier with Turcotte, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad