2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I’ll take that bet. What are your terms?

Public acknowledgment: "I was wrong; you were right."

My thinking, such as it is, is that management and ownership essentially believe that the rebuild is over -- if they have close to their full allotment of picks, that's enough. Just need to insulate those young players for a while, with, you know, veteran fourth liners on four year contracts. If they do in fact make some moves at the deadline (or whenever), they won't bring back picks in the third round or better.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Newhook, Cozins Kreb Turcotte, and Lavoie all have a chance to usurp Jack this year. If Canucks finish with a top 5 pick. And JB really wantsJack he may only have to move down a few spots. All I can say is play the vets to up there value. and by March have Tanev Edler Sutter Zotto Gags maybe Louie if he is having a bounce-back year and we retain. Let the young kids play out the stretch together. It won't be a lot of wins. but it will be some dam exciting hockey. Plus it gives the fans what we all want to see. With the added bonus we probably finish bottom 3 and pick up a stud center, and rhd with all the [icks JB accumulates from getting rid of our best oldest players. I am totally against tanking. But if by December were out of it. fucluck it sell high on the vets and next draft complete the rebuild.

I have a really hard time seeing any of these guys overtaking Jack Hughes this year. Barring something really crazy happening, like a major bust of a season for Hughes or one of these guys having an immense breakout into that bluechip franchise Center territory. Hughes may be a bit light, but he's just way too dynamic and built for today's NHL for me to see him being dethroned as the #1 pick.

That said, it looks like a fantastic year for guys who at least project as potential top-end centers. There should be plenty of high quality consolation prizes at that important position.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Public acknowledgment: "I was wrong; you were right."

My thinking, such as it is, is that management and ownership essentially believe that the rebuild is over -- if they have close to their full allotment of picks, that's enough. Just need to insulate those young players for a while, with, you know, veteran fourth liners on four year contracts. If they do in fact make some moves at the deadline (or whenever), they won't bring back picks in the third round or better.
Sure. I strongly disagree and believe they will want as many picks as possible given the draft is in Van. It is Benning so he likely won’t be able to add many but a few extra picks seems like a safe bet to me

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Sure. I strongly disagree and believe they will want as many picks as possible given the draft in in Van. It is Benning so he likely won’t be able to add many but a few extra picks seems like a safe bet to me

Lots of variables. Players with any reasonable chance of being moved :
Gudbranson - teams are sometimes desperate for dmen at tdl. Could get anywhere from a 2nd to a 4th.
Edler - probably plan to re-sign him, and maybe he'd refuse to waive regardless, but not unthinkable he's moved
Tanev - dear god please let him be healthy at the deadline
Sutter - just signed Beagle to 4 yrs. Similar strengths and weaknesses. Could have solid value, but probably not moved
Baertschi - as much as the JBFC hail his addition as some great victory, I think most of us would be happy to recoup the 2nd he cost us

Anybody else worth mentioning?

Reactions: pomorick

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sure. I strongly disagree and believe they will want as many picks as possible given the draft in in Van. It is Benning so he likely won’t be able to add many but a few extra picks seems like a safe bet to me

Thanks for taking the bet. I think it's a very interesting issue, and I'll watch in fascination to see who wins. I sincerely hope, I hope to hell, that you take the prize and I have to grovel and admit I was wrong.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can you imagine a scenario where the Canucks pull a New Jersey of the 2017 draft and actually win the lottery in 2019, and Jack Hughes joins his brother Quinn on the podium? Down the middle, this Canucks team would be 'sick' with Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat and Gaudette. They could actually afford to trade their other 'foundational center' in Brandon Sutter (sic).

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Team Russia winger Vasili Podkolzin just lit up the Hlinka Gretzky Cup with 8 goals in 5 games, scoring in every game. Nobody else in the tournament, as of the start of the gold medal match, has more than 4 goals. Did anyone else catch today's bronze medal match? He scored a hat trick: the first goal was a quick one-timer, the second was a top-corner wrist shot, and the third was a dazzling coast-to-coast rush where he beat two defenders and then deked the goaltender.

He wore #19 during the tournament and was the captain.

5'11'', 165 lbs; June 24, 2001 birth date; eligible for the 2019 NHL draft. He looks like a very talented goal scorer.

Vasili Podkolzin at eliteprospects.com

For Team Canada, I think Dach, Cozens, and Lafreniere have been the most noticeable of the highly-touted forwards. Dach reminds me of Ryan Getzlaf.

Last edited:

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Super impressed with Cozens from watching him live in the gold medal game. He plays a really mature game and was all over Sweden the entire night - his play on the PK in particular was fantastic. Him and Lafreniere were head and shoulders above everyone else on the ice tonight. Wouldn't be upset with walking away from the draft with Cozens, although the prize is still obviously Hughes.

Suzuki was good, played a scrappy game.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Vasili Podkolzin and Philip Broberg stock skyrocketed after this tournament.

With Craig Button at least. :laugh:

He's seemed to be really bad about that lately, moving guys around drastically based on whatever international tournament/region he just watched last. Just flooded with recency bias that you have to kinda adjust for.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
No losing, and no Hughes. Not until the year after can we "Hughes" lol. with big brother Quinn. Jack is MTL bound lol.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Can you imagine a scenario where the Canucks pull a New Jersey of the 2017 draft and actually win the lottery in 2019, and Jack Hughes joins his brother Quinn on the podium? Down the middle, this Canucks team would be 'sick' with Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat and Gaudette. They could actually afford to trade their other 'foundational center' in Brandon Sutter (sic).

Good things like that don't happen to the Canucks.

Il settle for Newhook or Cozens though

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
We're probably worse than the Habs. I'd put 25ish bucks on that.

They can have Lafreniere and then ruin his career while forcing him to play center instead.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

They can have Lafreniere and then ruin his career while forcing him to play center instead.

Habs are much worse than us unless Price plays at a Vezina level. Their top players are Drouin Gallagher and Domi lol. Pacioretty is long gone.

3 players all like 5'10 who can't carry a line.

Their best true center is Phillip Danault. With Plekanec and Shaw as their depth.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’ve been following Cozens’ progress for a while. Used to dream as a kid of being the first Whitehorse-born player to be an NHL star (which obviously happened LOL) - this kid is poised to do just that. He’s the complete package, was scoring huge playoff goals for Lethbridge in his draft minus 2 season, has speed, size and skill...this is a guy I would be thrilled to see in a Canucks uniform.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

You know what, I will take that bet if you're serious. Not because I'm completely certain that I'll win, but I have confidence that I will and it will add fun to the season.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
You know what, I will take that bet if you're serious. Not because I'm completely certain that I'll win, but I have confidence that I will and it will add fun to the season.

DM me on October 1st.

Don't wanna confirm the bet now in case half of the Montreal team gets suspended or some shit.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
11-14th calibre team

V0l2ZSW.gif

Reactions: Catbug and pomorick

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I was actually being modest with my prediction. I still contend that Beagle and Roussel will have a bigger impact in Vancouver than Tavares will have in Toronto. Those are the type of guys that you win with, and those are the type of guys that will make the kids feel safer. No one is going to take liberties with Pettersson with those guys here, and as result, we will bear witness to Peterrsson and Boeser absolutely tearing up the league.

Reactions: clunk

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I’ve been following Cozens’ progress for a while. Used to dream as a kid of being the first Whitehorse-born player to be an NHL star (which obviously happened LOL) - this kid is poised to do just that. He’s the complete package, was scoring huge playoff goals for Lethbridge in his draft minus 2 season, has speed, size and skill...this is a guy I would be thrilled to see in a Canucks uniform.

Ha, didn't know you were born in Whitehorse. My family is up there, Cozens actually went to school with my little brother, and his family lives just down the block from us. Have been rooting for the kid to make it for a while, it's definitely awesome to see.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I was actually being modest with my prediction. I still contend that Beagle and Roussel will have a bigger impact in Vancouver than Tavares will have in Toronto. Those are the type of guys that you win with, and those are the type of guys that will make the kids feel safer. No one is going to take liberties with Pettersson with those guys here, and as result, we will bear witness to Peterrsson and Boeser absolutely tearing up the league.

Why won’t other teams take liberties on Pettersson? Because they fear Beagle and Roussel?

More delusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad