GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
For what Carlo gives you offensively, anything over 4.5M is an overpayment in my opinion. If he was consistently giving you 20-25 points on top of his defense, then fine.

But we're talking Adam McQuaid offensive production here. Now, Carlo is much better defensively than McQ and plays harder/more minutes so he is worth a bit more.

Carlo although not producing the points brings a lot more to the table than McQuaid Offensively.His skating ability is far better than McQuaids, which allows him to exit the D-zone and retrieve pucks starting a transition game which leads to offense,and it is far above what McQuaids ever was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Carlo although not, producing the points brings a lot more to the table than McQuaid Offensively.His skating ability is far better than McQuaids, which allows him to exit the D-zone and retrieve pucks starting a transition game which leads to offense,and it is far above what McQuaids ever was.

He does but at the end of the day, points pay and Carlo has McQuaid stats. I'm not paying him more because he's better on the transition.

Reactions: GoBs

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He does but at the end of the day, points pay and Carlo has McQuaid stats. I'm not paying him more because he's better on the transition.
Transition in today's NHL is offense, but I agree I wouldn't pay him top dollar, but I'm not under estimating what he brings to the table and just how valuable he is to the Bruins future success. He's a smooth skating 22 year-old shutdown defenseman, and yes he also has the ability to transit the puck in a hurry and get it up and out of harms away. A bridge deal would be beneficial for both sides.

McAvoy on the other hand, I'd sign him long term and make him the highest paid Bruin.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Carlo although not producing the points brings a lot more to the table than McQuaid Offensively.His skating ability is far better than McQuaids, which allows him to exit the D-zone and retrieve pucks starting a transition game which leads to offense,and it is far above what McQuaids ever was.

If Carlo has a full training camp, I anticipate his offensive production this year will surprise many here.
Towards the end of the year he was really jumping into the play. Many times he was in position to receive
a pass on a 2 on 1, and the forward would take a shot rather than pass it. I think that will start to change, and
Carlo starts getting points.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
this whole... cant let a guy expire as an ufa thing makes no sense to me. to avoid it, teams overpay and 'buy' an ufa year... but why?

if the player is favorable to staying with the team does it matter if hes 27 or 28 when he decides? we all know when a player is in his final season fans scream to trade him before they lose the player for 'nothing'

but if a guy is favorable to resigning then resigning him at 27 is better than 28. the guys want 7-8 year deals on that contract so doing it at 26 or 27 is better than 28 or 29

maybe I see the value of having this second year contract short and not go to ufa… but making it long and buying up an ufa year or two just makes no sense to me and never has.

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinsfan98

May 25, 2011
Transition in today's NHL is offense, but I agree I wouldn't pay him top dollar, but I'm not under estimating what he brings to the table and just how valuable he is to the Bruins future success. He's a smooth skating 22 year-old shutdown defenseman, and yes he also has the ability to transit the puck in a hurry and get it up and out of harms away. A bridge deal would be beneficial for both sides.

McAvoy on the other hand, I'd sign him long term and make him the highest paid Bruin.

Attachments

• 4632B5D2-AE2D-40C0-BF1E-B70163630B7F.jpeg
    4632B5D2-AE2D-40C0-BF1E-B70163630B7F.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 7DA07A8B-079C-44B6-8CEA-2DDBF3051E74.jpeg
    7DA07A8B-079C-44B6-8CEA-2DDBF3051E74.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 10

Bruinsfan98

May 25, 2011
Charlie is not too stressed about it. One of his horses is worth more than Carlo and mcavoy

Attachments

• CCB4D3D7-A390-4322-A89C-9E94CB517881.jpeg
    CCB4D3D7-A390-4322-A89C-9E94CB517881.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 0EC0BA66-A86E-42EA-9364-AC7EB12F45F9.jpeg
    0EC0BA66-A86E-42EA-9364-AC7EB12F45F9.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 12

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The Skate Podcast: Craig Button on what may happen with Bruins RFAs McAvoy, Carlo

"I think what's happened is we have this group of restricted free agents, we know about the forward group, and there probably hasn't been as much talk about Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and [Columbus'> Zack Werenski and [Philadelphia's> Ivan Provorov, who in their own right create a different climate in the NHL," Button said. "I think that we're headed to a shorter-term contract template because it's really tough to find a value long term with the players. And we see that with contracts that have been signed. You know everybody's trying to balance it out, do we go short-term, do we go long-term? You know I think it's very hard to go long term.

"I think when you look at [Colorado's> Nathan MacKinnon, when you look at [Winnipeg's> Mark Schiefele, who both signed contracts out of entry-level. Even David Pastrnak, who have clearly outperformed their contracts, it leaves the next group of players and their agents sitting back going 'Whoa, unless you're going to give us a big number on a long-term contract, we're going to go short term.'

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good to see McQuaid with the boys at Captains Practice

If the Bruins have to trade both McAvoy & Carlo because of David Backes I’d hope that Cam signs Adam - he’s a UFA and would fit well in the room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad