OT: 2019 nCov (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Does anyone understand the whole pending number (under investigation)?

Looking at the numbers, yesterday we have 7236 under investigation with a total of 2021 cases and 32335 negative tests. Today we have 2498 cases with 43589 negative tests. That's a difference of 11.5k tests that have given results. How long does a test take to issue results?
I have a feeling the entire testing metric will prove to be flawed. In our desperate rush to create Coronavirus test kits -- totally justifiable, by the way -- we'll find out soon that most were inaccurate and the stats we've been obsessing over have been completely wrong.

Yes, it's just a 'feeling', but it's based on the lousy track record of many quick-to-market inventions, and the added difficulty of calibrating tests for one very specific virus.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I have a feeling the entire testing metric will prove to be flawed. In our desperate rush to create Coronavirus test kits -- totally justifiable, by the way -- we'll find out soon that most were inaccurate and the stats we've been obsessing over have been completely wrong.

Yes, it's just a 'feeling', but it's based on the lousy track record of many quick-to-market inventions, and the added difficulty of calibrating tests for one very specific virus.

There's some credence to this. I haven't tracked this, but a few days ago there was speculation from those in the field that the testing was lacking in accuracy.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well I have been saying shut down the public transit for a week or so now, so another hot take that everyone will laugh at. Time to shut down CSL/CDN area. Check points and close the decarie off. Ya its extreme but we are about 10 days from 10K cases, and then probably another 10 days to 50K cases, in MONTREAL.

But its ok thing my idea is stupid, we can check back in about 2 weeks when everyone will be lamenting the fact that we didn't quarantine the area that has a concentration of 42% of the cases. We are on the road to becoming Italy in MONTREAL. I have liked Legault so far, but it starting to feel like they are just in damage control and keep wanting to pretend the situation isn't that bad. You have ramped up the testing and found the hot spot so what is going on about it?
you offering to give me and all my colleagues in the health system a ride to replace transits ? or you have us all stay home too instead of working in said system ?

brilliant!

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Social distancing made it big.

ETa_TU4WsAYl7N6.jpg

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I had to get groceries today, went to costco. This dude waited in line at least 20 minutes to get in & then only buys one of those rotisserie chickens. Nothing else!!! I don't get the logic.

There was a nice tight line of folks waiting outside my IGA both times I ventured out today. I appreciate IGA having a guy out there making people line up but it kinda defeats the purpose if they're standing up against eachother ya know?

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
There was a nice tight line of folks waiting outside my IGA both times I ventured out today. I appreciate IGA having a guy out there making people line up but it kinda defeats the purpose if they're standing up against eachother ya know?

A number of grocery stores have smartly lay down some colour circles roughly 6 ft apart, indicating where people in line ought to stand.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I had to get groceries today, went to costco. This dude waited in line at least 20 minutes to get in & then only buys one of those rotisserie chickens. Nothing else!!! I don't get the logic.

LOL. $4.95 at Costco here!
Well if they are a parody then CNN, MSNBC, WaPo and NYtimes are on the same level as a circus.

Do some fact checking and you will see which of the media are truthful. It's been proven time after time. I get my news from BBC, Swedish Text TV and the local CBS and ABC stations. I don't watch CNN nor do I subscribe to NY Times.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

It's why we won't really stop the propagation anytime soon.
People still need to eat and grocery stores and pharmacies have become the transmission vector.

We need a f... cure.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There's some credence to this. I haven't tracked this, but a few days ago there was speculation from those in the field that the testing was lacking in accuracy.

And then there's Bill Gates who says they're over testing for recoveries. Saying you need to now have two tests come back negative before they claim you're recovered, but according to new research from his foundation, they're showing one test is all that's needed.
He also add that the doubt they had in having self-testing kits is no longer valid. You no longer need a health care worker to administer the swab taking. It's actually very easy to do, which makes mass testing way more simpler. It's back to the issue of being able to handle the demand of samples.

Reactions: scrubadam

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

My IGA there we were lining up outside, people respected the 2m distancing. Inside there was a huge line up to pay, and people respected the distancing too, once closer to the cash, they set up a wooden ramp with lines on the floor, and one person at a time is being directed.

The only thing that surprised me is I was the only one wearing a mask.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
And then there's Bill Gates who says they're over testing for recoveries. Saying you need to now have two tests come back negative before they claim you're recovered, but according to new research from his foundation, they're showing one test is all that's needed.
He also add that the doubt they had in having self-testing kits is no longer valid. You no longer need a health care worker to administer the swab taking. It's actually very easy to do, which makes mass testing way more simpler. It's back to the issue of being able to handle the demand of samples.

Yeah, UnitedHealth implemented the self-testing thing a few days ago.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
A number of grocery stores have smartly lay down some colour circles roughly 6 ft apart, indicating where people in line ought to stand.

Can't say I ventured close enough to see if there was anything on the ground for people to be respecting, just close enough to know I didn't want to get closer and that my dog would have to wait for his broccoli fix.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Does anyone understand the whole pending number (under investigation)?

Looking at the numbers, yesterday we have 7236 under investigation with a total of 2021 cases and 32335 negative tests. Today we have 2498 cases with 43589 negative tests. That's a difference of 11.5k tests that have given results. How long does a test take to issue results?

Some test take up to 48hours...some couple hours... this could explain the numbers.

My kid had the result in less then 12 hours (intensive care). (A week a ago)

My wife’s colleague (they work in an hospital) got the result in 24hours ish (2 days ago)

They still prioritize certain category. It can take up to 48hours from the info they gave us.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I went to the store dressed like I was going to rob the place today. Gloves and a tea towel DIY mask. You know what was weird about it? I actually felt more anxious.
Because nobody is wearing any masks...that's what I noticed today too. My gf sent me 200 masks from HK and Korea, and also two N95 ones. Went to IGA with one today and I was the sole customer wearing a mask, which made me feel anxious and weird too.
There's also Arruda's words in the back of my mind repeating ''only wear a mask if you're sick''...so now I'm thinking everyone who sees me believes I'm sick, adding to the anxiety.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The only thing that surprised me is I was the only one wearing a mask.

I found that the biggest advantage to wearing a mask is that it’s easier to keep shoppers from coming close to you. Some I am sure assume that by wearing a mask, you may have symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad