OT: 2019 nCov (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see how the Chinese are any more or less strategic in their doings then we are tbh. I think we get a very skewed perception of the Chinese ruling class that makes us think they're radically different from ours but I don't think they are. Certainly some cultural differences, but by in large they function towards the same goals ours do.
No they don't. We have a very kool aid opinion of how they operate. In China and internationally. Canada has this very rosey vision of their ruling class. See how they reacted because one of their business leaders got arrested in Vancouver? And Canada has a pretty good relationship with China. Imagine if they hadn't...

I've been fascinated with this country and.culture for years. I just think they have the most complex of civilisation in the history of humanity.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see how the Chinese are any more or less strategic in their doings then we are tbh. I think we get a very skewed perception of the Chinese ruling class that makes us think they're radically different from ours but I don't think they are. Certainly some cultural differences, but by in large they function towards the same goals ours do.
As the French invented diplomacy, the Chinese invented strategic thinking.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
No they don't. We have a very kool aid opinion of how they operate. In China and internationally. Canada has this very rosey vision of their ruling class. See how they reacted because one of their business leaders got arrested in Vancouver? And Canada has a pretty good relationship with China. Imagine if they hadn't...

I've been fascinated with this country and.culture for years. I just think they have the most complex of civilisation in the history of humanity.

China acts the way it does because it feels it has to. Canada has the US to do our dirty work for us. On top of that, we have about a 100 year head start on industrialization compared to China who really only began the process in the 70's. I think China is the way it is due to circumstance not because of anything within them culturally or anything else.

I may have misunderstood your point but I'm trying to respond in between work :D

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Now that the global CV numbers are getting substantial, the totals are ramping up (as mathematically predicted by all) in bigger and bigger daily blocks.

1 million global cases very soon... 2, 5, 1o+ likely to follow in April.

Why is the NHL waiting? Hockey is done.

Worldwide Cases

March 14th- 156,475
March 21st- 304,979
March 28th- 662, 402 (so far)
April 4th- 1.3-1.5 million?

USA Cases

March 14th- 2,770
March 21st- 24,192
March 28th- 123,311
April 4th- 350,000-500,000?

I agree, hockey is done for the season....especially considering that we're not even close to our peak in Canada and the USA yet (especially in the USA)

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
China acts the way it does because it feels it has to. Canada has the US to do our dirty work for us. On top of that, we have about a 100 year head start on industrialization compared to China who really only began the process in the 70's. I think China is the way it is due to circumstance not because of anything within them culturally or anything else.

I may have misunderstood your point but I'm trying to respond in between work :D
No sweat! You want a good read ? Claws of the Panda. Pretty solid work when you know the way they operate.

Chinese (leaders) have ALWAYS thought they were top of the world for many milleniums (and they were). They never had a great opinion of the Western world. Ever. The British, French and American invasions are still seen as the lowest of all periods in their history. Heck, I even hqd a taxi driver that REFUSED to take me to the French Concession in Shanghai, practically spitting on me for insisting. They believe that the 1830's to 2010s (rounding numbers) were an anomaly. They do believe that their place is.being back on top as the supreme leaders of the world.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Worldwide Cases

March 14th- 156,475
March 21st- 304,979

USA Cases

March 14th- 2,770
March 21st- 24,192
March 28th- 123,311

I agree, hockey is done for the season....especially considering that we're not even close to our peak in Canada and the USA yet (especially in the USA)
Numbers will get high quickly.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
No sweat! You want a good read ? Claws of the Panda. Pretty solid work when you know the way they operate.

Chinese (leaders) have ALWAYS thought they were top of the world for many milleniums (and they were). They never had a great opinion of the Western world. Ever. The British, French and American invasions are still seen as the lowest of all periods in their history. Heck, I even hqd a taxi driver that REFUSED to take me to the French Concession in Shanghai, practically spitting on me for insisting. They believe that the 1830's to 2010s (rounding numbers) were an anomaly. They do believe that their place is.being back on top as the supreme leaders of the world.

Jonathan Manthorpe is the author of “Forbidden Nation: A History of Taiwan,”

I looked the book up and I'm not sure I'd trust someone who writes a book like this to be unbiased in his understanding of Chinese affairs lol. I hope it at least reckons with the fascism of the Republic of China historically....

Reactions: dinodebino

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What do you do with essential workers (like health care workers) who use public transit to get to their jobs?

Taxi's/Ubers, chartered buses, or keeping it open only for them.

This was the same question when we were less than 100 cases, now you ask it again at 1200 cases, and you will ask it again at 10K cases and 100K cases.

Someone's going to have to come up with a solution because in 3 weeks from now its going to be shut down anyways but we could avoid that if we take action now. Its easier to cut 200 cases down to a few a day then 1000 or 5000 cases.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I have a feeling the entire testing metric will prove to be flawed. In our desperate rush to create Coronavirus test kits -- totally justifiable, by the way -- we'll find out soon that most were inaccurate and the stats we've been obsessing over have been completely wrong.

Yes, it's just a 'feeling', but it's based on the lousy track record of many quick-to-market inventions, and the added difficulty of calibrating tests for one very specific virus.

Coronavirus test result errors may be a large problem

Funny because this is what Israel is saying right now. But it could also mean negatives are positive along with postivies being negatives. Would maybe help explain all the asymptomatic people out there that test positive.

And you can add in that Spain got some kits from China and they were defective. And then exchanged them from the same company. So its possible plenty of labs don't catch the defective ones. The CDC actually sent out defective kits in the US and thats why they were so behind on testing.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

This was the same question when we were less than 100 cases, now you ask it again at 1200 cases, and you will ask it again at 10K cases and 100K cases.

Someone's going to have to come up with a solution because in 3 weeks from now its going to be shut down anyways but we could avoid that if we take action now. Its easier to cut 200 cases down to a few a day then 1000 or 5000 cases.
you clearly have no idea the number of people working in healthcare.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

That won’t be enough to transport the essential workers; health care workers, grocery store workers, gas station attendants, utility workers, etc. Unfortunately public transportation is a vital service. Now it can be better monitored, only allow so many people on a bus, train. Even remove seats so people sit farther apart. But to take it away entirely would be a mistake.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
you clearly have no idea the number of people working in healthcare.

They will do what they did in Wuhan when they shut everything down.

Healthcare workers were either be living in temporary housing near their hospital (Hotel, Dorm room…) or they will have a personal system like Taxis that will only take care of the essential workers….might even be the Army (and they are not preparing to go in Saskatchewan)

Reactions: scrubadam

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They will do what they did in Wuhan when they shut everything down.

Healthcare workers were either be living in temporary housing near their hospital (Hotel, Dorm room…) or they will have a personal system like Taxis that will only take care of the essential workers….might even be the Army (and they are not preparing to go in Saskatchewan)
social distancing have been "implemented" weeks ago, yet it is not being enforced... we don't have the same reality.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Worldwide Cases

March 14th- 156,475
March 21st- 304,979

USA Cases

March 14th- 2,770
March 21st- 24,192
March 28th- 123,311

Sadly, the exponential growth will most likely come in the developing world, for which tracking and data will be hard to come by. Many developing states are only now being subjected to this virus.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

interesting thread and I agree with you. I had a Chinese girlfriend for years, and like Russia they kind of went from a communist regime into a kind of fascist capitalism where party leaders simply became oligarchs. The US is headed in this direction btw. The Chinese always considered themselves to be an imperialist power and have reclaimed that since the end of WW2. Have you seen the documentary 'American factory'? No country can compete with that nationalist work ethic BUT i can guarantee you the children of those workers will NOT accept slave labor type conditions. China will also plateau industrially in the next 20 years.

As per the virus, the old, communist, draconian methods basically kept a lid on it in Wuhan. But I was in touch with a friend in Beijing and they were only allowed out to get groceries and masks were mandatory. So this lockdown was in much of the country.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Always loved learning about chinese culture and history. One of my favorite Anthony Bourdain lines: "The one thing I know for sure about China is, I will never know China. It’s too big, too old, too diverse, too deep. There’s simply not enough time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad