OT: 2019 nCov (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Pierre Houde seemed confident on RDS that in three weeks they'll be back. Remains to be seen, but it sure would be nice.

That would be remarkably irresponsible. Even empty arenas would be a recipe for disaster when you consider all the travel necessary.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pierre Houde seemed confident on RDS that in three weeks they'll be back. Remains to be seen, but it sure would be nice.

Yeah, they'll be back all right. As a Hazmat League.

That's a pure Trump move by Houde. Confidence and hope are out the window right now in terms of a deadline.

As Dr. Tony Fauci stated, it's the virus that decides the timeline, not words.

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Like I said earlier, Italy seems to bringing in 6000-7000 new infections a day, along with 600-700 deaths a day for about 4-5 days now. The daily increase seems to be flattening, maybe we may see cases actually dwindling as of next week or the week after?

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
That would be remarkably irresponsible. Even empty arenas would be a recipe for disaster when you consider all the travel necessary.
Consider it hasn't even hit the fan yet in the majority of markets we've got a long way to go. These optimistic outlooks make me nervous that the general population will no longer comply if they keep hearing that it'll "only be a month and then back to work"

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Like I said earlier, Italy seems to bringing in 6000-7000 new infections a day, along with 600-700 deaths a day for about 4-5 days now. The daily increase seems to be flattening, maybe we may see cases actually dwindling as of next week or the week after?
Is this because they're at their testing capacity? Like they aren't seeing an increase of daily case numbers because maybe they can't test fast enough. I'm not sure just an observation. I haven't been paying as much attention to the news abroad as I am in North America

Reactions: Andy

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Is this because they're at their testing capacity? Like they aren't seeing an increase of daily case numbers because maybe they can't test fast enough. I'm not sure just an observation. I haven't been paying as much attention to the news abroad as I am in North America

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In Italy, 37 doctors have died of Cov.19 and more than 6000 health workers are infected as per Barbie Nadeau of CNN -- all because they don't have the equipment they needed to keep them safe as they tried to help others.

In Spain, over 4000 have died in Spain, exceeding the reported deaths in China and only second to Italy as per CNN's reporter stationed in Madrid. New cases on the rise. About 10% of all confirmed cases in Spain, are medical workers. They're adding beds via hotels and convention centers but are scrambling because of the medical workers falling to the virus. They're also short of ventilators.

United Kingdom: the CNN reporter calls it a "continuous tsunami" of patients. Things are bad as per govt officials and they're only going to get worse.

Japan: people are ignoring govt warnings to work from home and avoid large public gatherings. Substantial crowds came out to view large cherry blossoms, without observing physical distancing and many not wearing face masks. In other parts of the city, panic-buying has set in with supermarket shelves empty. Govt is saying that a lockdown may be necessary as the number of Cov.19 cases continue to spike, particularly in Tokyo.

There was a G20 meeting held via tele conferencing and they tried to bridge differences in their fight against the pandemic by sharing data, research technologies, making sure it's fully financed and to bring stability to the global economy. They were trying to make sure that the 12 leading nations didn't go their own individualistic way and actually cooperate and to make sure a pandemic like this doesn't happen again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think he meant regular programming, not games. Not yet anyway.

AC had announced that they'd come back with live programming in 3 weeks -- Houde must have been referring to that.

Reactions: groovejuice

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Wow, US already up to 10,000+ cases today. FLA, LA, MI are rising fast.

Yup. Watch out for NJ too. Already 2,474 cases today. A lot of people commute from NJ to New York city for work, so you know there's that connection.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Consider it hasn't even hit the fan yet in the majority of markets we've got a long way to go. These optimistic outlooks make me nervous that the general population will no longer comply if they keep hearing that it'll "only be a month and then back to work"
Yup, this is just the beginning. I would wait till we at least see a light to the end of this tunnel before going back in. Course, we may miss the bottom if we wait that long but as it stands, the bottom is starting to look like a chasm of epic proportions and I wouldn't want to be caught in that mother of crashes. Regardless, even if this only lasts a month or two in North America, the damage is already done and the economy isn't going to pick up after itself for a long time. Hopefully not years/decades but it's going to be a long time regardless. Course, the market doesn't follow the actual state of the economy (it hasn't for years, else it would have crashed multiple times already) so who knows. Either way, it's way too volatile for me right now so I'm just waiting on the sidelines with cash in hand (not that I have much...), so to speak.

Reactions: Born in 1909

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This from Udonis Haslem, is gripping:

It’s funny — these kids fly down to places like South Beach for a couple days to party, and they think that’s Miami. But they’ve never seen the real Miami. They’ve never been to Liberty City. They’ve never seen the side of this city that’s living check to check. The side of this city that’s surviving meal to meal.

And let me just tell you something, man — there’s a Liberty City in every city. It’s regular people, with regular struggles
. And I don’t know how I can get everyone to listen, but I say this from the bottom of my heart: The people growing up in the real Miami? They’re as vulnerable during this crisis as anybody.

And I’ll tell you one more thing — this idea about those people, that because of this coronavirus they’re going to go hungry? They were already hungry. Way before all this. They were already worrying about where their next meal was gonna come from, or where they’re gonna sleep tonight, or how they’re going to get their next dollar.

And that’s what I need to get off my chest right here. Because it’s been eating me up — to see all this coverage of our city, from all these people who don’t even know what they’re talking about, that’s just focused on a bunch of kids acting stupid.

Much more, here: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/e...8r3spIdEeu1_WexQ1ynscerbuJlAwviZ0ph3JbhX2zSq4

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's crazy...A little more than two weeks ago there were on average 5,000-8,000 new cases a day. Now we're up to 50,000+ new cases per day. I'm thinking there may be between 55,000+ today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->