2019 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
So, thanks to bank mergers, the 3-year-old SunTrust Park (Braves) is now Truist Park. I hope the name "The TeePee" catches on!

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the most surprising thing is rockies ownership trying to lessen these rumors about arenado being traded. arenado was pretty disappointed with their 2019 and said so in so many words, likening it to feeling like a rebuild.

monfort had this to say:
“I haven’t seen many rebuilds that start with signing the face of your franchise, your best player, to a $260 million contract.”

bridich said:
“If we were truly in a rebuild, Nolan Arenado probably wouldn’t be here to make comments like that.” now if you'll excuse me, i have to go cripple my payroll with relief pitching for some reason

maybe they're regretting signing a guy who seems to give a shit about the team.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'd love for the Cardinals to get Arenado. But I'm also not giving up Carlson for him. His home/road splits worry me some, granted, besides Chase, the other parks in that division aren't exactly hitter friendly.

Hudson, Gorman, Fowler/Carpenter and another mid-tier prospect I'd do in a heartbeat though.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
LA City Council petitioned the MLB to retroactively award the World Series in 2017 and 18 to the Dodgers :laugh: They are DESPERATE.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I'd love for the Cardinals to get Arenado. But I'm also not giving up Carlson for him. His home/road splits worry me some, granted, besides Chase, the other parks in that division aren't exactly hitter friendly.

Hudson, Gorman, Fowler/Carpenter and another mid-tier prospect I'd do in a heartbeat though.

The Coors effect doesn't only work in one direction (i.e by merely massively boosting home numbers), it also drains your road numbers via the hangover effect (which there appears to be substantial statistical evidence for).

Just pointing that out to say it's not fair to simply compare home against road numbers for Arenado or any Rockie really.

Reactions: JWK and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Was just about to post this.....a familiar face joining Osuna in Houston?

I wish Gibby all the best but at the same time I'd rather he avoided that trainwreck. :laugh:

He just wants to coach and at least w/ Houston he has a top contender that has had the same core for a while now.

LA City Council petitioned the MLB to retroactively award the World Series in 2017 and 18 to the Dodgers :laugh: They are DESPERATE.

It will never happen, but it really sucks to lose back to back years and then sucks more when you find out both teams cheated.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

The funny thing about this is what about the other teams Houston and Boston beat to get there? That's why you can't just give it to the Dodgers. This isn't like finishing 2nd in a 100m dash or something.

I don't think they should vacate at all. You can can throw a footnote or asterisk noting what they did, but that has to the extent of it. Let's not have the MLB become the NCAA and pretend things never happened that we all watched.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I love Pedro but don't agree with him here.

from cbssports.com:

Over the weekend, former Boston Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez became the latest big name to opine on the Houston Astros' sign-stealing scandal as part of an interview with WEEI. Rather than focus on the Astros' wrongdoing, or their reluctance to own up to their sins, Martinez set his sights on Oakland Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers, the closest thing the scandal has to a whistleblower. It was Fiers, after all, who went on the record and discussed what the Astros were doing with Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic back in November.

Martinez called Fiers a "bad teammate" and said that he "broke the rules" by publicizing clubhouse matters. Martinez then rolled through a checklist of steps he would have liked to have seen Fiers run through before talking to the press: "If you have integrity you find ways to tell everybody in the clubhouse, 'Hey, we might get in trouble for this. I don't want to be part of this,'" he said, per a WEEI transcript. Here's more from Martinez, who works as an analyst with TBS and MLB Network and also has a role in the Boston front office as a special assistant to the president of baseball operations:

"You call your GM. You tell him. Or you call anybody you can or MLB or someone and say, 'I don't want to be part of this.' Or you tell the team, 'Get me out of here, I don't want to be part of this.' Then you show me something. But if you leave Houston and most likely you didn't agree with Houston when you left and then you go and drop the entire team under the bus I don't trust you. I won't trust you because I did have that rule."

Full story here: Pedro Martinez criticizes Astros sign-stealing whistleblower Mike Fiers for being 'bad teammate'

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I love Pedro but don't agree with him here.

from cbssports.com:

Over the weekend, former Boston Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez became the latest big name to opine on the Houston Astros' sign-stealing scandal as part of an interview with WEEI. Rather than focus on the Astros' wrongdoing, or their reluctance to own up to their sins, Martinez set his sights on Oakland Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers, the closest thing the scandal has to a whistleblower. It was Fiers, after all, who went on the record and discussed what the Astros were doing with Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic back in November.

Martinez called Fiers a "bad teammate" and said that he "broke the rules" by publicizing clubhouse matters. Martinez then rolled through a checklist of steps he would have liked to have seen Fiers run through before talking to the press: "If you have integrity you find ways to tell everybody in the clubhouse, 'Hey, we might get in trouble for this. I don't want to be part of this,'" he said, per a WEEI transcript. Here's more from Martinez, who works as an analyst with TBS and MLB Network and also has a role in the Boston front office as a special assistant to the president of baseball operations:

"You call your GM. You tell him. Or you call anybody you can or MLB or someone and say, 'I don't want to be part of this.' Or you tell the team, 'Get me out of here, I don't want to be part of this.' Then you show me something. But if you leave Houston and most likely you didn't agree with Houston when you left and then you go and drop the entire team under the bus I don't trust you. I won't trust you because I did have that rule."

Full story here: Pedro Martinez criticizes Astros sign-stealing whistleblower Mike Fiers for being 'bad teammate'

It seems like everyone in the organization was in on it. Wtf is Fiers supposed to do?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It seems like everyone in the organization was in on it. Wtf is Fiers supposed to do?
Go to MLB when it was actually happening. He was complicit, it's not like he's the victim or completely innocent and a man of full integrity.

It's better for baseball that he did eventually make it known though.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
More Indy than MLB, but the Florence Freedom of the Frontier League unveiled their new name, and it's...something.

Florence Freedom rebrand as Y’alls | Chris Creamer's SportsLogos.Net News and Blog : New Logos and New Uniforms news, photos, and rumours

Yes, I was born in Memphis. I'm a southerner. I use the term "y'all" a lot. I still am iffy of calling a team by that.
So was I!

Been out here for 30 years, but the southern brogue likes to make an appearance from time to time.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad