Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

Bigtimefeed

Aug 15, 2022
Considering that right now the only guaranteed money on the books is Embiid, I think that point is as soon as the offseason begins. Morey basically needs to rebuild this team.

As far as I know, the Sixers have the fewest players under contract entering an offseason in NBA history. After Embiid and Maxey’s cap hold (he'll get a first max) this is practically like an expansion team.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
He finished +46 on the series off surgery. He deserved shit for games 6 and 7 last season, but it’s “Claude Giroux is a Bad Captain” energy dumping this one on him. The support scoring was an abomination night to night. One player’s heroism canceling out another’s dud.

No one wants to hear it, but the Sixers purposefully didn’t spend assets this season. They didn’t pull a Bucks. It is what it is. Celtics will put the Knicks in the meat grinder, if they get there.
He was absolutely sensational. There really isn't a discussion there.

if you told everybody that he would average 34 points and 12 rebounds in this series, people would be over the moon

Reactions: Magua

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wonder if you guys look at Achiuwa.

Can be small ball 5.
Thrived with big minutes when Hartenstein and Robinson were out.
Can also hit some 3's so doesn't clog the paint
Runs the floor which is great with Maxey when Embiid sits
Could play WITH Embiid at times vs certain teams/lineups
Knows Nurse and expectations....and Nurse knows him and limitations

Just don't have him handling the ball making decisions.

But you guys are in a great spot. Money only going to 2 stars and can build the team you want with few restrictions. Once you add that 3rd star....you will also get other good players willing to come cheaper for a chance to win. Need another Oubre type contract next year.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Can be small ball 5.

Just don't have him handling the ball making decisions.

But you guys are in a great spot. Money only going to 2 stars and can build the team you want with few restrictions. Once you add that 3rd star....you will also get other good players willing to come cheaper for a chance to win. Need another Oubre type contract next year.
I believe he’s a FA so I’m sure he’ll be on the radar. I would love Hartenstein, who is also a FA, but the Knicks could decide to pay him and make him the starter. In which case they would probably have to trade Robinson. I really think the Sixers need to assume the backup C will start around 20 games next season (and thereafter).

If they could get Oubre back on a similar contract, that would be nice. Like, if they actually got Paul George and then you have Oubre coming in off the bench? I could live with that.

Reactions: Tripod

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Other Sports: - The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Better Than the Flyers?

Honestly, this season went better than I expected way back when…

I don’t expect much of this season other than seeing how Maxey and some other young guys develop, and how Nurse works out.

That said, after this season Harris and Harden (if he’s still around) come off the books. If they do trade for Jrue, like I mentioned before, he’s expected to decline his player option so he’d be off the books too. Which means Morey will have plenty of cap space to work with. So the future is not entirely bleak.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
As far as I know, the Sixers have the fewest players under contract entering an offseason in NBA history. After Embiid and Maxey’s cap hold (he'll get a first max) this is practically like an expansion team.
It's very unusual. Potentially just Embiid, Maxey's cap hold, 1st round pick cap hold, and a bunch of incomplete roster charges. A similar situation that I can think of was the Heat the summer they got James and Bosh.

Reactions: Bigtimefeed

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Please god tell me we aren’t going to run it back sans Tobi with faith in some magical Morey plan.

Blow it up. Blow it up.
RCIV and Embiid are the only players with contracts next season at this point. Maxey of course will get a max, but it's literally those 3 and that's it.

This is the last chapter of the process and Morey is the author. Take that how you will. It'll definitely be a wild offseason

I believe he’s a FA so I’m sure he’ll be on the radar. I would love Hartenstein, who is also a FA, but the Knicks could decide to pay him and make him the starter. In which case they would probably have to trade Robinson. I really think the Sixers need to assume the backup C will start around 20 games next season (and thereafter).

If they could get Oubre back on a similar contract, that would be nice. Like, if they actually got Paul George and then you have Oubre coming in off the bench? I could live with that.
Their backup C shouldn't be a backup. It should be a 1b. Embiid shouldn't be playing more than 50 games next season. It's time to actually, for real this time, see a full and truly healthy offseason performance from him. For the first time in his career.

Bigtimefeed

Aug 15, 2022
It's very unusual. Potentially just Embiid, Maxey's cap hold, 1st round pick cap hold, and a bunch of incomplete roster charges. A similar situation that I can think of was the Heat the summer they got James and Bosh.

That's true about the Heat when LeBron signed, I think the difference outside of the changes to the cba since then is that Maxey’s cap hold will allow Morey to fill out this expansion style roster while also having the ability to go over the cap. Maxey will be the last contract Morey adds once he fills out the roster which will put the Sixers over the cap if PG or LeBron? are added.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Their backup C shouldn't be a backup. It should be a 1b. Embiid shouldn't be playing more than 50 games next season

960x0.jpg

They’re not spending their cap on an expensive center. If Embiid is injured they won’t win. They can manage for 30 games.

Can be small ball 5.

Achiuwa is shorter than Reed and doesn’t space the floor any more. They would never play him with Embiid. That has been a Reed talking point — won’t happen.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
960x0.jpg

They’re not spending their cap on an expensive center. If Embiid is injured they won’t win. They can manage for 30 games.
By 1b I mean someone who can play against starters. I don't need another 15 mil backup. But I need to see someone playing behind Embiid that isn't going to be a warm body. Is Reed that guy? He made strides this year for sure.

On a slightly different note, I have a feeling they're going to push hard for Siakam as the Harris replacement

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
RCIV and Embiid are the only players with contracts next season at this point. Maxey of course will get a max, but it's literally those 3 and that's it.

This is the last chapter of the process and Morey is the author. Take that how you will. It'll definitely be a wild offseason

Their backup C shouldn't be a backup. It should be a 1b. Embiid shouldn't be playing more than 50 games next season. It's time to actually, for real this time, see a full and truly healthy offseason performance from him. For the first time in his career.

It's technically true that RCIV has a contract for next year (so does Paul Reed) although both are non-guaranteed. The Sixers could cut RCIV and his $1.9m disappears. However, the way the cap works is that a team must have 12 players under contract. Every spot up to and including that 12th player not filled by an actual contract counts towards the cap at the rookie minimum for the upcoming season.

This past year that rookie minimum (players drafted in the 2nd round or undrafted) was $1.12m. It will probably be somewhere between $1.2m and $1.3m next year.

So realistically RCIV's contract is probably around $600,000 to $700,000 more than the rookie minimum cap-hold. I doubt it will be any kind of issue/situation where they had to release him for salary purposes.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think there’s very little chance of that. Siakam supposedly isn’t a big Nurse fan. And Siakam is a really iffy fit with Embiid.
I think siakam is in the perfect place for him.

Plays with a spacing C
Surrounded by lots of shooters
Team plays fast as he runs the floor lots.....and leaks out
Team doesn't play much defense
And of course can get more years from Indy

Will be interesting to see OG on Siakam in the next rd. I think OG's defensive value will be more on display than vs Philly. Plus you have the run and gun style of Indy vs the slower methodical offense of NYK. Not sure the Knicks can keep up offensively.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I think there’s very little chance of that. Siakam supposedly isn’t a big Nurse fan. And Siakam is a really iffy fit with Embiid.
Well that's good, because I can't stand that f***ing guy. It's not a want, it's just a gut feeling. I imagine Indy is going to do whatever it takes to re-sign him, especially with the emergence of Haliburton (also can't stand that f***ing guy) and the capital they gave up to get him

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
960x0.jpg

Achiuwa is shorter than Reed and doesn’t space the floor any more. They would never play him with Embiid. That has been a Reed talking point — won’t happen.
Stop with the Horford nonsense. They paid him 24M/yr to be the starting PF and occasional backup C. That’s not happening again. And they can’t manage for 30 games. If they could they would have ended up a top 4 seed instead of play-in team.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Well, i think he’s averaged a little over 50 games a year for his career so I guess the odds are in favor of that. Not in a good way though. He can certainly play 65 games but with fewer minutes. But like you say, the backup should be someone who has shown he can start in the NBA. There are guys like that around. I mean, hell, Jonas Valencuinas is a free agent and obviously proven, and he only makes 15M/yr. He’s 31 and not winning anything with the Pels so maybe he’s willing to take a pay cut and that 1B role to play on a team with title aspirations.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not big on George, doesn’t he get hurt all the time?

If OG Anunoby opts out, I’d look at him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I cant believe Hield didnt get on the court in the 3rd after that 1st half. Nurse is not good.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Morey is not spending money on a backup center to play 5 minutes a game in the playoffs. Stop obsessing over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad