2019 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Playoffs are such a crapshoot.

You're a Yankees fan, right? That team had a lot to do with that.
Yankees had the clutch gene, but I would not say their rotation was more talented than the Braves. No team in history's in fact was on that level for that extended period of time.

Sep 19, 2008

Bill complaining about Boston suddenly becoming small market lol. Red Sox spent out the ass to buy titles now have the nerve to skimp on cash :laugh:

Reactions: Voight

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
dude, everyone keeps calling the indians a small market team because they couldn't afford to pay kluber 17 million f***ing dollars.

the big market teams are the ones that constantly spend money until they're not only spending money but also spending extra money because they spent money and their players are taken from them.

it's so much easier to go at this like a cheap owner. pocket all your bam money and any revenue sharing money, trot out a .500 team and try to luck into a player that you're just going to give away to start it all over again. mlb punishes teams for trying to win.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Heard about Betts possibly to the Dodgers. Don't want to trade Betts but if Seager is in the return then I'm all for it.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
now the rumor is that teams are asking about clevinger.

i bet the indians might be able to lock up a backup infielder and possibly a guy who might be able to be used in long relief sometimes for him!

and they'll save all the money clevinger is about to make in arbitration. they'd be stupid not to! the team is only valued at 1.15 billion dollars and their highest paid player is lindor...who they're actively trying to sell since they're too cheap to sign him.

but that's cool with redditor ix, all these teams that actually try to win baseball games instead of pocketing cash by the stack are the stupid ones.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Agreed. If all posters stopped whining about the size of contracts it would be sweet. / This link is supplementing Terry Yake's post who posted the story first. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...rich-hill-wife-arrested-spat-gillette-stadium
it'd be even better if we stopped pretending that owners of billion dollar baseball teams are pinching pennies and rolling dimes to be able sign players.
Both would be great. I've never understood why a certain group of people want to complain about the contracts of the players they watch, and want the owner(s) to win every battle. Maybe they're jealous of the players and their skills/lifestyle and they can't see the owners or something. Out of site, out of mind type thing.

But what gets me is the fact like 99% of all these billionaire owners were born into wealth. It's not as if they all just pulled their bootstraps up and out-owned the other pasty chaps around them. Why people romanticize the rich as if they often deserve it and should make more off the backs of others is beyond me.

And that's not even getting into the fact that the league is set up much like 'the system', where you're punished financially for trying to do the right things to improve your team and rewarded with free money for being as cheap as possible. It's complete ass-backwards thinking.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think it’s truly mind boggling to complain about players contracts. I wish players would earn more - would mean less money for the spoon fed owner his entire life.

Whenever a player gets absolutely paid, like Cole, I am beyond thrilled. That’s someone who actually worked his ass off for that deal.

It’s why I love why NHLers are starting to get bigger and bigger paydays.

Why would I cheer for the owner to win over a player? Seems extremely absurd to me.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
If I complain about a contract it's w/r/t how it affects the team and how that money could have been spent better elsewhere, especially in sports with a cap.

It's stupid to complain about players "making too much money" these are billion dollar industries and the money has to go somewhere I'd rather the guys entertaining me get it than the already billionaire owners keep it all. Economically speaking the average player is actually underpaid.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why is Josh Donaldson not signed yet? Nobody wants a 6 WAR player? Is he asking for too much term? I don't get MLB sometimes, how can a good player like this still be unsigned?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i'm sure he has suitors and is deciding where he wants to go.

last i read it was texas, atlanta and washington after him. he'll probably end up with one of those teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad