2019 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maddon was also a former Angels coach, so there is a connection.

I'd go to SD if I were him.

Absolutely. You get SoCal either way but would rather be on a team with less scrutiny on the way up rather than the Angels who need a serious re-tool to say the least and won’t be good for at least a few years

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
i

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Find me a worse GM in the league, you can’t.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
speaking of terrible GMs, hawk harrelson was actually the white sox GM for a few years in the 80s

he made a couple key moves. traded away a young bobby bonilla and also fired the team's manager and asisstant GM. two guys i think we all know: tony la russa and dave dombrowski

He was GM for 1 year

And it was a disaster but he was humble about admitting his mistakes thru years

He did make one pretty good trade in acquiring Ivan Calderon from Mariners for Scott Bradly and the failure that was 1986 White Sox did lead to hiring of Larry Himes and drafting of Jack McDowell which was a major turning point for franchise

Black Jack was key part of turnaround of franchise and Sox would being so bad in 1986 secured #5th overall pick

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
The Reds hired Kyle Boddy founder of Driveline Baseball as director of pitching. He's exclusive to the Reds, but his company can work with other teams and players.

Reds are all in on analytics and data driven player development. All the old school dinosaurs were cut loose this week.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
The Reds hired Kyle Boddy founder of Driveline Baseball as director of pitching. He's exclusive to the Reds, but his company can work with other teams and players.

Reds are all in on analytics and data driven player development. All the old school dinosaurs were cut loose this week.

Wouldn't they require him to leave the company? Seems like a conflict of interest.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Wouldn't they require him to leave the company? Seems like a conflict of interest.
I guess that's been worked out over the months he and the Reds were negotiating. He had other offers, including the Cubs, reports say, so I don't think his company relationship is an issue.

But yeah, kind of a weird situation that his day job is the Reds and yet he is still running the company. Or something like that.

Very nontraditional move by the Reds which is why I posted this.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Find me a worse GM in the league, you can’t.

Do you think Arenado would opt out of this contract though?

He'd have 5 years and a whopping 164 M left after the 2021 season (3x35 M, 32 M, 27 M).

He'd be going into his age 31 season in 2022. Teams are staying away from massive deals for guys in their 30's in this sport.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He'd have 5 years and a whopping 164 M left after the 2021 season (3x35 M, 32 M, 27 M).

He'd be going into his age 31 season in 2022. Teams are staying away from massive deals for guys in their 30's in this sport.

Eh, maybe not for a player of his caliber. Its not likely he will opt out but you never know.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010

Short answer, yes

Would he be willing to take a 20% discount since his stats will decrease that much leaving Denver?
Lmao

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Reminds me the scene in Moneyball where all those 'old school scouts' were judging players by how their ugly their girlfriends are, ugly girlfriends = no confidence :laugh:..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad