2019 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
employed and also badly misused, had he stayed here much longer he might not have gotten half as much
technically correct but so was i lol

has anyone had a worse fall from grace recently than ray searage? earlier this decade he was probably going to have his own wing of the hall of fame but now all of a sudden everyone knows his tenet and not only are the pirates figured out but hated by most due to pitching inside.

Reactions: Voight

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

has anyone had a worse fall from grace recently than ray searage? earlier this decade he was probably going to have his own wing of the hall of fame but now all of a sudden everyone knows his tenet and not only are the pirates figured out but hated by most due to pitching inside.

Yeah, we got 3 magical years out of it, I often wondered if I would ever see another playoff game in my lifetime so while I was glad to see Ray and Hurdle go I have appreciation for what they accomplished. Hopefully it's not 23 years again.

I wonder how much of the pitching inside was Searage and how much was Hurdle? Did his Rockies teams get in a lot of brawls?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why is Josh Donaldson not signed yet? Nobody wants a 6 WAR player? Is he asking for too much term? I don't get MLB sometimes, how can a good player like this still be unsigned?

I imagine he'll end up with the Nats. 3 year deal, lets them replace some of Rendons production while maybe waiting for someone to develop in the minors.

Yea for a while there he could do no wrong. Heard his name almost once a week.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Searage is anti 4-seam and that's much more effective right now than the 2-seam. I'm sure it will correct itself a bit as we go forward.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-1-2_15-11-18.png

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
I’m still trying to wrap my head around why the writers like Omar Vizquel so much. I’m not even sure I’d put him in the Hall of Very Good. He was a serviceable ballplayer for a very long time. That’s it. There’s no need to overstate his contribution as being anything more than that.

Reactions: darko

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I’m still trying to wrap my head around why the writers like Omar Vizquel so much. I’m not even sure I’d put him in the Hall of Very Good. He was a serviceable ballplayer for a very long time. That’s it. There’s no need to overstate his contribution as being anything more than that.
He reminds the old timers of Ozzie, I think. Though Ozzie was much better.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Omar is throwback to old school players and was underrated during his time because he didn't put up offensive #'s

To me he was modern day version of Luis Aparicio and very deserving of HOF

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Jeter I think gets in, Walker will be close. I think it's either a 1 or 2 person hall of fame class from these ballots this year.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be interesting to see where Arenado ends up. He's probably the best third baseman in baseball right now. For a team like the Cardinals he could be the final piece for them in their bid to be a championship ball club.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that Arenado is being moved?
He's rumored to be on the block, but I don't believe it'll get done. It'll be a lot of moving parts. On one hand, he's an amazing, if not the best 3B. On the other, he's slated to get $37 mil /year for the next 5 or 6 years, so teams are going to want to give up expensive contracts in return.

Reactions: PG Canuck

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Since he has an opt-out after 2 years, there is a growing belief that he thinks Colorado isn't doing all they can to win and that he'll want to become a free agent. That's why insiders believe a deal is inevitable, they just don't know exactly when.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Nows the time to cash in, late 20s, owed big money but you also have him locked in at a guaranteed number vs going for a free agent and spending even more.

Rockies might try to build around him and Story but I am convinced baseball in Colorado is cursed and just not meant to be at this point :laugh:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad