Speculation: 2019 free agency

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
good for them, its unlikely they'll ever have a roster as talented this for a loooooong time
Yeah, I hope they can get it done, to add one more gold star to The Captain's resume.

But I'm also very interested to see how they make that trade work, and what ripple effect it has on the rest of the league, for moving guys like Faulk.

Reactions: TheMule93

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah, I hope they can get it done, to add one more gold star to The Captain's resume.

But I'm also very interested to see how they make that trade work, and what ripple effect it has on the rest of the league, for moving guys like Faulk.
If a bidding war starts up for Faulk I hope Kenny walks away.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I really don't. I want the Red Wings to get a good defense, the best they've had since Lidstrom has been gone is Mike Green... Justin Faulk would be an alright and welcome upgrade depending on the price it cost to get him. He's also just young enough to where we could use/keep him till his 32/34 years old.

To me, any trade is about worth is if you can keep most of the young core, Hronek/Cholo would be off the table but I might package in Hicketts if they pressed for it.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Season 2018-19:

1. Ryan - 7.25M
2. Larkin - 6.3M (estimate)
3. Nielsen - 5.25M
4. Mantha - 4.5M (estimate)
5. Abdelkader - 4.25M
6. Helm - 3.85M
7. Vanek - 3.0M
8. Glendening - 1.8M
9. Bertuzzi - 1.4M
10. Zadina - 925k
11. Rasmussen - 894k
12. Svechnikov - 863k
------------
13. Frk - 1.05M
14. Witkowski - 750k

Zetterberg - LTIR - 6.081M
Weiss Buyout - 1.667M
Ouellet buyout - 167k
Larkin+Bertuzzi - Bonus overages - 755k

1. Karlsson - 6.5M
2. Green - 5.375M
3. DeKeyser - 5.0M
4. Ericsson - 4.25M
5. Daley - 3.167M
6. Jensen - 813k
----------
7. Hicketts - 635k

1. Howard - 5.292M
2. Bernier - 3.0M

TOTAL CAPHITS
85.190 M

Cap Space
-5.690 M

Maximum Cap Space through Zetterberg LTIR
0.4103 M

Vanek - Larkin - Mantha
Ryan - Rasmussen - Zadina
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Helm - Glendning - Bertuzzi
(Frk, Witkowski)

DeKeyser - Karlsson
Ericsson - Green
Daley - Jensen
(Hicketts)

Howard
Bernier

Frk and Witkowski won’t be back next season

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Great next season we will find the new punchline for the joke of who Hollands backup girl is when he strikes out with the head cheerleader that is Karlsson. So far it's been Colaiacovo and KFQ after striking out with Suter, and then Nielsen after Stamkos wouldn't accept the Wings calls. My gut says Bouwmeester with a 3x7 contract, my heart says Stralman with a 4x5, and my brain says Gardiner with a 6x7.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Next offseason the Red Wings will draft Jack Hughes #1, offer sheet Auston Matthews, and then sign Erik Karlsson in free agency. and become a top 5 team in the NHL. :nod:

Zadina - Matthews - Rasmussen
Larkin - Hughes - Mantha

Reactions: KJoe88 and Henkka

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Tyler Seguin would be a nice alternate prize as well next year

Karlsson/Seguin this next offseason and Trouba the year after
Dream senario we draft Jack Hughes, sign Karlsson and Seguin like you say and then get Trouba the year after. We are ABSOLUTELY Cup contenders again

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seguin is probably going to want 12+ if Tavares is getting 11, so not really sure that would excite me too much. He is a great player and all, but it is a lot of money for him.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I think we should at least try for Karlsson, considering we'll have the cap space. We get a #1 center in the draft (most of the players in the top 15 are centers) and get Karlsson and our rebuild is almost over, we just have to wait for the prospects to develop. If we want Karlsson we don't want to see a trade. He would likely extend with his new team.

Ohh, don't you worry...Kenny will be kicking them tires.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Package of Nyquist+Kronwall+Franzen+Athanasiou+McIsaac/Cholowski/Hronek + picks would cost on next 4 years:

I suppose I can't say it's impossible, because Ottawa has a history of making dumb moves... But realistically they don't come anywhere near touching this. It's basically AA and a defensive prospect for Karlsson, with teams exchanging cap dumps.

No way in hell Nyquist or Kronwall waive their NTCs for Ottawa.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Tyler Seguin would be a nice alternate prize as well next year

Karlsson/Seguin this next offseason and Trouba the year after

Looks good to me!

Zadina - Seguin - Rasmussen
Hughes - Larkin - Mantha

Cholowski - Karlsson
Hronek - Trouba

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene will all likely hit UFA next July

Wings should try to out-do Minnesota's July back in 2013 when they signed Parise and Suter to lockout summoning contracts

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Bumping this now that Karlsson has been moved and Seguin has been extended. I have a feeling the 2019 UFA class is going end up being pretty thin when it comes to top talent. I'll bet the Sharks find a way to extend Karlsson and the rest of the top guys either get extended by their current teams or the team they go to at the deadline, or they sign with a contender or the non-contender that overpays the most.

IMO, I see the following happening prior to the 7/1/19 and influencing what they might do as far as UFA's:

-Nyquist and Jensen are definitely moved by the deadline
-Daley possibly moved by the deadline
-Howard and Vanek extended
-Kronwall retires
-Frk doesn't get a QO and Witkowski leaves as a UFA

What they go after in free agency probably depends on a few factors:

-How did the team finish?
-How did some of their young wingers fare at the NHL level?
-Who gets promoted?
-How were Helm and Athanasiou at 3C and Nielsen at 2C?

Based on all that and the team likely still being at the bottom of the league, I see them doing this in free agency:

-In goal: Stay put with Howard and Bernier for a couple more seasons
-On D: Since he'd now be eligible for waivers, Hicketts gets penciled in a #7/8D. If Daley is still around, they stay put and promote Hicketts and another young D to the spots vacated by Kronwall and Jensen. If Daley is gone, they maybe go after a UFA option but it probably isn't in the Karlsson realm. I'd think more Stralman, Bouwmeester, Edler, etc...
-At forward: Due to waiver eligibility, Svechnikov and Turgeon are penciled in at #13/14. I think maybe they try to go after a top line center or wing like Duchene or Stone, but end up striking out. Depending on how they look at C after Larkin, I can see Holland getting a stop gap middle 6 option to shore up the position until Rasmussen/Veleno/etc. are steady enough to grab a spot there. Unfortunately, Jason Spezza has Holland written all over him for that. I also see them leaving a spot open for a guy like Veleno/Pope/Holmstrom/a top pick from the 2019 draft/other prospect that has an unexpected big year in 2018-19/etc. to make the team.

TL:DR... Nyquist, Jensen, Kronwall, Frk and Witkowski gone. Maybe Daley too. Vanek and Howard extended. They sign Jason Spezza and maybe a vet D a few rungs down the ladder from Karlsson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If somehow Duchene makes it to FA and we choose to be aggressive with bringing kids in, we could actually have a pretty sick team on paper by the end of next season.

Mantha-Duchene-Zadina
Rasmussen-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Athanasiou-Veleno-Nyquist/Nielsen/FA
Abby-Helm-Glendening

Cholowski-Green
McIsaac-Hronek
Dekeyser-Ericsson

I actually like that team quite a bit... I’ve always liked Duchene.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If somehow Duchene makes it to FA and we choose to be aggressive with bringing kids in, we could actually have a pretty sick team on paper by the end of next season.

Mantha-Duchene-Zadina
Rasmussen-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Athanasiou-Veleno-Nyquist/Nielsen/FA
Abby-Helm-Glendening

Cholowski-Green
McIsaac-Hronek
Dekeyser-Ericsson

I actually like that team quite a bit... I’ve always liked Duchene.

and you forgot to add their likely ~top 5 draft pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
and you forgot to add their likely ~top 5 draft pick.

True. If we don’t draft top 3 then they may not go immediately on the team, though? Guess it depends. Especially if we are running those guys down the middle and take a center.

Hughes would be perfect, we could start him at wing ;)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why the assumption if we added Duchene he would be 1st line over Larkin? Larkin has similar point production since he entered the league as Duchene, is better defensively and works and competes much harder than Duchene. I personally like Duchene but don't really think he is a great target, just because he may be the best center available, as he does seem to have compete issues that have plagued his career.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad