Speculation: 2019 free agency

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
With the cap space moving up to around 83M, the Red Wings will have even more $ to play with next offseason.

Signings like Myers, Nelson and another G for example, and Zadina (plus a healthy Svechnikov) would help the rebuild along nicely.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What I took from what Devellano said, there may be offer sheets in the future

If they reduce the compensation in CBA negotiations, then maybe. Those compensations have to be cut in half to happen.

How NHL offer sheets work and six players who could get one - Sportsnet.ca

Nobody would have offered 8.2M for Nylander, to lose 1st + 1st +2nd +3rd.

Problem A) - you overpay (by 1.3M compared for the current contract) and on some time scale, this creates a salary cap problem.
Problem B) - you lose draft picks, which could be cheap but talented ELC guys to help with the salary cap problem you create.

So it's a double effect, you get the player fine, but it's like warm pee in the pants, doesn't help long and problem with cap comes later, and it kills your success. You have to do multiple smart moves to avoid the cap mess and it's very very hard. Offer-sheeting someone is currently the biggest mistake GM can make, imo. Bad asset management with bad cap management.

BUT

Only players I would offer-sheet, would be 1st overalls like Matthews, because those players are now tough to get via lottery. Tanking could take years, and still you could never have the 1st pick. Everybody scouts so well now, that 1st overalls won't bust anymore kind of at all.

Throwing 4x 1st for a 1st overall guy would be worth it, if the player is real star. They get payed most anyways, so you can offer some high sum which could create a problem for the player owner. But still, the organization who owns the player has to f*** up with their cap pretty bad to lose that guy. In 99% cases they do anything to keep him. They trade other lesser players out to make room.

Last edited:
Reactions: waltdetroit

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why the assumption if we added Duchene he would be 1st line over Larkin? Larkin has similar point production since he entered the league as Duchene, is better defensively and works and competes much harder than Duchene. I personally like Duchene but don't really think he is a great target, just because he may be the best center available, as he does seem to have compete issues that have plagued his career.

First off, it’s probably more of a 1A/1B.

Secondly, have you seen Duchene play this year? He’s been dominant.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I would love those Russians from Columbus.
Eh not a fan of overpaying goalies, Montreal's not doing so hot with the Price contract now. And Bobrovsky will definitely command a premium.

Karlsson is the 1st priority, he would fill the biggest hole in our roster by far. And with lots of good centres available at the top of this year's draft, our rebuild could be 90% complete after this offseason.

If the cap can work after signing Karlsson, then Panarin would be great to replace Nyquist, but I think it will be too expensive to get both in one offseason unless we unload some other contracts like Ericsson and Howard.

In 2 years we could have:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
AA-2019 1st rd pick-Zadina
Svechnikov-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Helm-De La Rose-Abdelkader
Glendening

Cholowski-Karlsson
DeKeyser-Hronek
McIsaac-Sulak

If the next CBA includes compliance buyouts, Abby is the one to go.

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not sure if Erik Karlsson is the same Karlsson was he was 2 years ago. He hasn't looked the same player after the ankle injury. There's a big risk to overpay for him.

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not sure if Erik Karlsson is the same Karlsson was he was 2 years ago. He hasn't looked the same player after the ankle injury. There's a big risk to overpay for him.

Problem is that even if he's not the guy he was two years ago, he's still one of the best in the league and easily the best available through UFA.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Holland attended the Channel One Cup in Russia this weekend and told that he is looking for U26 free agents, who will be ready to join the team in the coming summer or in 2020. Also mentioned that he totally wouldn't mind these UFAs to have NHL experience.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If we are going after someone in free agency... if he makes it to free agency. Mark Stone would be my pick... would fit along with Larkin so well IMO.. plays both ends of the ice. Stevie Y could make it happen come July.. ?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Holland attended the Channel One Cup in Russia this weekend and told that he is looking for U26 free agents, who will be ready to join the team in the coming summer or in 2020. Also mentioned that he totally wouldn't mind these UFAs to have NHL experience.
I like this idea...sounds like he's bargain hunting & expecting roster turnover, as he should, to bring in more fresh blood. Also the U26 means flexiblity with short term contract(s), which can be traded/dumped/re-signed if they work out. I'd love to find a Dadonov for the top 6, and a rock solid Top 4, 2-way or Def.Dman from the KHL/Europe.

Any ideas on who he'd be considering from the KHL/Europe? Thanks.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Hmmm. Interesting. Good tactic for a rebuilding team....and, perhaps...an expansion team as well?

Reactions: mantha39

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I like this idea...sounds like he's bargain hunting & expecting roster turnover, as he should, to bring in more fresh blood. Also the U26 means flexiblity with short term contract(s), which can be traded/dumped/re-signed if they work out. I'd love to find a Dadonov for the top 6, and a rock solid Top 4, 2-way or Def.Dman from the KHL/Europe.

Any ideas on who he'd be considering from the KHL/Europe? Thanks.

Well, hard to tell about the other teams, but from U26 UFA players on Team Russia quite some rumors were going on about Alexander Yelesin, who is in his last contract year, he is a defense-first RHD, who is very strong despite the modest size. About U26 UFAs with NHL experience probably we're mainly talking about Mikhail Grigorenko, who is actually finally showing some good hockey this season and maybe about Nikita Nesterov, but they both are contracted until 2020.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Holland is scouting U26 Russians for the Seattle franchise.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Season 2018-19:

1. Ryan - 7.25M
2. Larkin - 6.3M (estimate)
3. Nielsen - 5.25M
4. Mantha - 4.5M (estimate)
5. Abdelkader - 4.25M
6. Helm - 3.85M
7. Vanek - 3.0M
8. Glendening - 1.8M
9. Bertuzzi - 1.4M
10. Zadina - 925k
11. Rasmussen - 894k
12. Svechnikov - 863k
------------
13. Frk - 1.05M
14. Witkowski - 750k

Zetterberg - LTIR - 6.081M
Weiss Buyout - 1.667M
Ouellet buyout - 167k
Larkin+Bertuzzi - Bonus overages - 755k

1. Karlsson - 6.5M
2. Green - 5.375M
3. DeKeyser - 5.0M
4. Ericsson - 4.25M
5. Daley - 3.167M
6. Jensen - 813k
----------
7. Hicketts - 635k

1. Howard - 5.292M
2. Bernier - 3.0M

TOTAL CAPHITS
85.190 M

Cap Space
-5.690 M

Maximum Cap Space through Zetterberg LTIR
0.4103 M

Vanek - Larkin - Mantha
Ryan - Rasmussen - Zadina
Abdelkader - Nielsen - Svechnikov
Helm - Glendning - Bertuzzi
(Frk, Witkowski)

DeKeyser - Karlsson
Ericsson - Green
Daley - Jensen
(Hicketts)

Howard
Bernier

I didn't see Franzen's LTIR hit here. Mule and Hank put the Wings at $10 mil on their LTIR. With the 10% overage limit to start the season, there's 'roughly' $2,000,000 from Wings LTIR that will be added to the active cap for compliance at the start of the season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I understand how much you like to have Yzerman as GM, most of us wanted this, but if things not work out , I would be happy for him to stay , one of the best gm our life time

Reactions: waltdetroit

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's kind of interesting how you can find decent Russian RhDs currently.

Toronto has had Zaitsev and Ozhiganov, Arizona has Lyubushkin.

Two lastest guys play currently with 925k ELC, it's good relative value for a contract, proven 3rd pair NHLr costs more than those guys and could be worse.

Looks like KHL and Russia won't any money power anymore, because even these NL mimimun deals will get guys come over the pond. That's also why Kovalchuk came back (money, money & money) and probably those Datsyuk rumours could be money related. Maybe Pavel himself doesn't care about money but the agent does...

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
How would this board feel about giving Mark Stone Something like $8M x 7 years this summer?

I know wingers are of lesser concern than basically any other position, but he is a guy who I think exudes a lot of the same qualities as Larkin:
- Good awareness in all 3 zones
- Doesn't quit on the play
- Relentless motor combined with strong IQ

He isn't a speedster which is his biggest knock but the idea of putting together a top 6 of something like

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen - Athanasiou - Stone

looks really promising to me

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
How would this board feel about giving Mark Stone Something like $8M x 7 years this summer?

I know wingers are of lesser concern than basically any other position, but he is a guy who I think exudes a lot of the same qualities as Larkin:
- Good awareness in all 3 zones
- Doesn't quit on the play
- Relentless motor combined with strong IQ

He isn't a speedster which is his biggest knock but the idea of putting together a top 6 of something like

Zadina - Larkin - Mantha
Rasmussen - Athanasiou - Stone

looks really promising to me

Think he would be a great fit. Smart player, hard worker, plays both ends of the ice. Would be a Steve Y type of player for the new direction of the team... I love Stones game and find him to be a low maintenance player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad