Speculation: 2019 free agency

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd rather have Panarin as far as UFA wingers go but Stone would certainly be good too

lots of potential good targets this year but there's a big difference between being on the market in January and still being there 6 months later when it opens so we'll see

i'm just hoping Holland doesn't take a swing at a Pominville or Zuccarello type with his cap space after striking out on someone good

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
AA is not and never will be an effective center.

That fit is just in the immediate future - say the top 6 for next season

I do think that playing with two hard workers like Stone and Rasmussen would prop him up, but I agree

I would imagine that Nielsen, Veleno, our 1st round pick in the upcoming draft are players that would eventually take that spot over/ get a chance there

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Think he would be a great fit. Smart player, hard worker, plays both ends of the ice. Would be a Steve Y type of player for the new direction of the team... I love Stones game and find him to be a low maintenance player.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Having Larkin on one line and him on another gives Blashill a lot of room to find fits and chemistry because he knows those guys are on the ice for ~40 mins combined a night and doing a lot to tilt the ice in the Wings favour

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Exactly my thoughts as well.

Having Larkin on one line and him on another gives Blashill a lot of room to find fits and chemistry because he knows those guys are on the ice for ~40 mins combined a night and doing a lot to tilt the ice in the Wings favour

I hope we get him.. also hope it's not Blashill deciding how to use those 2 together.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I predict:

-Howard re-signed for 2 years.
-Holland goes hard for Karlsson but ultimately misses out. He then tries for one of Edler, Stralman, Gardiner or maybe Myers.
-Maybe signs/extends Jensen
-Giving Kronwall the "old Dan Cleary" is certainly explored
-If still available Holland kicks the tires on higher priced and younger forward/wing options Duchene/Stone/Panarin/Skinner, but ultimately settles on extending/signing Nyquist
-I can also see Holland going a different direction when it comes to bringing in a short term declining vet forward (IE Vanek). But instead of at wing, it'll be someone that can shore up the 3C spot, or potentially push Nielsen out of 2C. Someone like a Staal or Spezza, or maybe Filppula or Brassard
-On much more minor notes, Rybar is probably re-signed, another stopgap #3G is brought in, (depending on if Blashill is around) Witkowski is probably re-signed but his spot at the NHL level isn't as cemented, Frk is once again not qualified but doesn't get extended, Sulak goes back to Europe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I predict:

-Holland goes hard for Karlsson but ultimately misses out. He then tries for one of Edler, Stralman, Gardiner or maybe Myers.
-If still available Holland kicks the tires on higher priced and younger forward/wing options Duchene/Stone/Panarin/Skinner, but ultimately settles on extending/signing Nyquist
-I can also see Holland going a different direction when it comes to bringing in a short term declining vet forward (IE Vanek). But instead of at wing, it'll be someone that can shore up the 3C spot, or potentially push Nielsen out of 2C. Someone like a Staal or Spezza, or maybe Filppula or Brassard
-On much more minor notes, Rybar is probably re-signed, another stopgap #3G is brought in, (depending on if Blashill is around) Witkowski is probably re-signed but his spot at the NHL level isn't as cemented, Frk is once again not qualified but doesn't get extended, Sulak goes back to Europe

Staal=old & slow, lateral move, on pace for 50+pts (like Frans) but still effective, probably wants more $ & term than we should we handing out at this stage of our rebuild. Same age as Frans. No thanks.

Spezza=old, slow, declining rapidly (had 26 pts last year) downgrade on Nielsen who is on pace for 50+pts. (Spezza, 40pts pace on a better team). Heck no.

Filppula=lateral move, no thanks, Frans is better overall, Flip is soft.

Brassard= 13pts/33gp on the Pens! No thanks, Frans is outproducing him by a country mile, we should be looking at Duchene for a 1A/1B combo with Larkin. Brassard is also declining.

Duchene, maybe Stone if we strike out on Duchene.

Maybe Stralman, (RHD, defensive Dman) for <$4.5 @ 2 yrs max...I'm sure he'll get better offers. declining production, aging, will be 33 to start '19-'20 season. He could replace Kronner/Daley.

Possibly Edler...see Stralman.

Green, DDK, Cholo, Hronek should all be playing top 4 minutes. Big E+ ?? + ??

We need #1/#2 Dmen,or at minimum solid #3 types. Not #4-6 types.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I predict:

Not what I'd prefer, but I could see it.

Both of these seem reasonable, depending on the rest of the moves made.

Don't put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby. Thanks for the memories, but Kronner needs to be nowhere near this roster next season.

I hope Nyquist doesn't have that option...as in, he gets dealt at the deadline, and his new team extends him prior to July 1st. I really like the way Gus is playing this year, but I don't like the odds of him having several more of those seasons in his future, even if the supporting cast continues to improve.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If there is a chance to sign Stone, then sign him. He's a righty, still young kid and style of play fits team identity. Panarin would great, but idon't believe he wants come here. I predict he goes to Florida.

Zadina-Larkin-Stone
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Rasmussen-Svechnikov/1st round pick 2019
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm
De La Rose, Ehn

Cholowski-Green
DeKeyser-Hronek
Ericsson-Daley
Jensen

Howard
Bernier

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I like Stone as a player, but signing another winger to big money and term is literally the last thing this team needs in terms of personnel.

Stone is good, but I think we’re seeing his peak right now. If he even lowers into a 60 point pace player, that contract would start to look bad fast. If we’re going to target any forward in FA, I’d much prefer Duchene

Also, unless I am unaware of some reason Tampa doesn’t plan on re signing Stralman, I doubt he leaves. Why would he choose the rebuilding Wings when he has a spot with a contender he is familiar with that also blows Michigan weather and taxes out of the water?

Reactions: Frk It

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
It's funny how Karlsson's 11M caphit is a problem in almost every contender. He can't go to the best team, he has to pick some secondary level promising team which could be on the rise after 1-2 years.

I see Red Wings being on that group.

I see this too tbh, esprcially since his mentor (Alfredsson) has spoken very highly of his experience in Detroit.

If we get a top 3 pick and Yzerman comes back, I think most players could see the Wings becoming good in the near future. Maybe Karlsson would agree.

Dream scenario in 2 years

Rasmussen- (top 5 pick this year)- Zadina
Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Athanasiou - Veleno - FA or someone like Nyquist resigned
Abdelkader-Helm/Glendenning- JDR
(Ehn)

Karlsson- Cholowski
Green-Dekeyser
Hronek-Ericsson
(McIssac/Lindstrom)

Assumptions made to get this roster
1) we trade one of Helm/Glendenning
2)Karlsson signs, and Green resigns for cheaper potentially after being traded next year. His family seems setteled
3) Guatav Nyquist is resigned after being traded. If not him Svechnikov (should he recover) or another middle 6 FA
4) all prospects pan out to be at least meeting a realistic expectation (Zadina 25-30g, 60 points, Rasmussen 20 goal net front, Veleno 40 point middle 6 center)
5) we land a top 5 pick and get one of the top center prospects (Dach, Hughes, Cozens, the Russian guy)

That roster is a very fast, big, and skilled team. One with some snarl, and puckmoving ability. Each forward line (except our third), had a net front guy, and that third line would probably be the fastest in the NHL.

I doubt all these scenarios happen, but each on their own is in no way unrealistic

Last edited:

Enders Game

Jun 4, 2018
I see this too tbh, esprcially since his mentor (Alfredsson) has spoken very highly of his experience in Detroit.

If we get a top 3 pick and Yzerman comes back, I think most players could see the Wings becoming good in the near future. Maybe Karlsson would agree.

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
(Ehn)

Karlsson- Cholowski
Hronek-Dekeyser
Green-Ericsson
(McIssac/Lindstrom)

2)Karlsson signs, and Green resigns for cheaper potentially after being traded next year. His family seems setteled
3) Guatav Nyquist is resigned after being traded. If not him Svechnikov (should he recover) or another middle 6 FA
4) all prospects pan out to be at least meeting a realistic expectation (Zadina 25-30g, 60 points, Rasmussen 20 goal net front, Veleno 40 point middle 6 center)
5) we land a top 5 pick and get one of the top center prospects (Dach, Hughes, Cozens, the Russian guy)

That roster is a very fast, big, and skilled team. One with some snarl, and puckmoving ability. Each forward line (except our third), had a net front guy, and that third line would probably be the fastest in the NHL.

I doubt all these scenarios happen, but each on their own is in no way unrealistic

Wings aren’t getting Karlsson. Now Edler on the other hand

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Staal=old & slow, lateral move, on pace for 50+pts (like Frans) but still effective, probably wants more $ & term than we should we handing out at this stage of our rebuild. Same age as Frans. No thanks.

Spezza=old, slow, declining rapidly (had 26 pts last year) downgrade on Nielsen who is on pace for 50+pts. (Spezza, 40pts pace on a better team). Heck no.

Filppula=lateral move, no thanks, Frans is better overall, Flip is soft.

Brassard= 13pts/33gp on the Pens! No thanks, Frans is outproducing him by a country mile, we should be looking at Duchene for a 1A/1B combo with Larkin. Brassard is also declining.

I agree on the assessments, but my thought was that Holland would add one of those guys on a 1 year not to replace Nielsen, but in addition to him. On the grounds that it could either help the team improve or give them an asset to move at the deadline if they don't. It would put them back to where they were last season with 3 centers that can drive some offense. Considering the AA at C experiment is over and Rasmussen is still a ways away from playing C (if they don't just keep him at wing), unless they get Hughes the team is an offensive black hole behind Larkin and Nielsen down the middle. Veleno probably doesn't jump right in the top 9 and guys like JDLR, Ehn and Glendening are 4C's at best right now, while Turgeon is becoming a poor mans Cory Emmerton.

I don't think it's the greatest idea, but it's something I can see Holland doing.

Duchene, maybe Stone if we strike out on Duchene.

Maybe Stralman, (RHD, defensive Dman) for <$4.5 @ 2 yrs max...I'm sure he'll get better offers. declining production, aging, will be 33 to start '19-'20 season. He could replace Kronner/Daley.

Possibly Edler...see Stralman.

Green, DDK, Cholo, Hronek should all be playing top 4 minutes. Big E+ ?? + ??

We need #1/#2 Dmen,or at minimum solid #3 types. Not #4-6 types.

IMO, the D is a tougher one to map out. Holland would be dumb not to get into the Karlsson bidding for obvious reasons. However, I can see him wanting to get an at least serviceable 2nd pairing guy if he misses out, so he'll have someone else under contract when he's potentially without Ericsson, Daley and Green after next season. That way he's not scrambling to fill 3 holes on the blueline if they don't have guys outside of Hronek/etc. ready to fill them.... That is of course unless Holland is already planning on extending one or a combination of Green/Daley/Ericsson...

I think if Daley is still on the roster, Holland brings in one UFA dman and promotes Hronek and Hicketts to the big club to give them 8 D.

Enders Game

Jun 4, 2018
Mind if I borrow your time machine to see the next lotto’s numbers?

I do agree Edler is more likely, but I dont think Karlsson to Detroit is that crazy, especially given how most current contenders have their salary structured.

Erik Karlsson is turning 29 in May. Wings are 5+ years removed from being a serious cup contender. Karlsson will go somewhere he has a chance to win and doesn’t have to wait at least 4 years. It’s common sense. You don’t need a time machine

Reactions: Backhandbeauty

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Erik Karlsson is turning 29 in May. Wings are 5+ years removed from being a serious cup contender. Karlsson will go somewhere he has a chance to win and doesn’t have to wait at least 4 years. It’s common sense. You don’t need a time machine

I strongly disagree with the five plus years timeline. I think this team makes the playoffs in two years and is top 10 in 3, especially if we get some lottery luck.

We have a lot better team and prospect pool than Toronto did pre Matthews imo. Hughes or KK won’t be as good, but they could be good enough for us to take the next step.

Several teams that were bottom feeders have made a huge jump in one offseason in recent memory

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
I strongly disagree with the five plus years timeline. I think this team makes the playoffs in two years and is top 10 in 3, especially if we get some lottery luck.

We have a lot better team and prospect pool than Toronto did pre Matthews imo. Hughes or KK won’t be as good, but they could be good enough for us to take the next step.

Several teams that were bottom feeders have made a huge jump in one offseason in recent memory

I dunno if we have a better prospect pool than Toronto did. When they drafted Matthews they already had Marner, Nylander and Reilly (though I guess Reilly wasn't really a prospect at that point?). We might have more prospects but they have us beat talent wise which is what matters most.

I do agree in general though that if we get a bit of lottery luck + manage to sign a couple pieces 2-3 years is reasonable.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Also, unless I am unaware of some reason Tampa doesn’t plan on re signing Stralman, I doubt he leaves.

The only realistic reason would be that he becomes a cap casualty for the Lightning, or they won't be able to offer as much money or term that can be offset by the tax/weather/contender advantage. Depending on how much the cap increases, they'll have somewhere around or under $10M in cap space after big raises kick in for Kucherov and Gourd and a smaller one for McDonagh. They also need to extend Point this summer, and Vasilevskiy and Sergachev the next, all of whom will get big raises. Considering what Nylander just got, Point is probably going to take up most of their available space. They can possibly makes some other moves like buying out Callahan, or trading JT Miller before his NTC kicks in this July, but they'd still need space to sign/extend/promote around 4-6 other forwards and 3-4 dmen...

Why would he choose the rebuilding Wings when he has a spot with a contender he is familiar with that also blows Michigan weather and taxes out of the water?

Holland offers a nice lockout protected 5 year deal like he gave Nielsen :sarcasm:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
(Ehn)

Karlsson- Cholowski
Green-Dekeyser
Hronek-Ericsson
(McIssac/Lindstrom)

Re: "Dream scenario"?

Big E needs to go asap & you want him back in 2 yrs? He's old, slow & 3rd pairing now, injury prone, imagine what he'd be like in 2+ yrs. when his "new contract extension" were to kick in...I shudder to think of such a scenario.

You have Hronek on the 3rd in 2+ yr & saddled with Big E. Ouch.

Green is having a good but injury prone season again, his best as a RW for sure...but 2 yrs. from now he'll be 35 to start the '20-'21 season and probably rapidly declining. No thanks. Besides we'll need the $$ for at least one of Josi/Petro/Trouba.

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Just remember, any UFA (with NMC) contract you add in the next two years, results in someone else getting exposed in the expansion draft. Any quality UFA is going to demand a NMC until after the expansion draft.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Absolutely none of Green/Daley/Ericsson should get an extension. Green can't stay healthy, Daley is certainly serviceable, but not of the age/talent combination I want to retain, and Big Rig needs to retire before his hips turn to balsa wood.

For defense, continue to develop the kids you're drafting. Free agency should be to either land a big fish to anchor the whole thing, or find a decent vet in the 25-31 age range as depth. (32 is ok if you get him on a 2-3 year deal, but nobody on the books past their 35th birthday.)

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
I would bet on Howard resigning.

If blash is still the coach, I would also bet on Jensen resigning.

I guess a lot of the other pieces depend on how players progress through the second half of the season. Those two seem like sure bets to me though

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I predict:

Man this is so accurate... and terrible lol.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If there is a chance to sign Stone, then sign him. He's a righty, still young kid and style of play fits team identity. Panarin would great, but idon't believe he wants come here. I predict he goes to Florida.

Zadina-Larkin-Stone
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Rasmussen-Svechnikov/1st round pick 2019
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm
De La Rose, Ehn

Cholowski-Green
DeKeyser-Hronek
Ericsson-Daley
Jensen

Howard
Bernier
What in the name of god makes you think Zedina is any where close to playing on the first line the NHL? He will be lucky to get full time 1st line in the A next year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
What in the name of god makes you think Zedina is any where close to playing on the first line the NHL? He will be lucky to get full time 1st line in the A next year.

based on what? he's an AHL rookie in his D+1 with a third of a season played and after a slow start has 13 points in his past 18 games and was starting to get some time on the first line just prior to the world juniors

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly, I would trade all upcoming UFA's and none of them would be brought back. Time to refresh this roster, and none of them are great anyways. Gus has been good this year, but I have a feeling it is mainly contract related, and once he gets his new deal, he will continue to be a disappointing 40 pt passenger, like he was the last 2 seasons.

Kronwall should retire and if he doesn't there should be no new deal under any circumstances. I like Kronner, been a big fan, but he is done being effective at this level, and a couple old school Kronwalled hits doesn't change that fact, as fun as they were to see.

Jensen should be traded at the deadline, and if there are no takers, buh bye at the end of the season.

Daley should be moved if they can.

Howard has had his time, and I am a fan, but it is time to go fresh, and not Bernier as the starter, as he is quite ugly at times in net. For every good game you get, you get 2 and 3 poor outings, and the team honestly doesn't look confident when he is in goal.

Abdelkader, they should consider doing something to move him out as well. Maybe take back another shorter bad contract and add a 3rd rounder along with Abby or something. I do think he would be more useful and better slotted on a contender or playoff team, then he does on a bottom feeder.

Then in the offseason, we should add one or two higher end UFA's, as we don't need to just sit back and stay in the basement. With this next draft, we will get another Top 10 pick, hopefully Top 4, and Larkin getting some much needed help makes this team look a lot better.

Outside Green and Cholowski, I would love if 19-20 we had a basically fully refreshed blueline. No more Daley, Ericsson, Jensen and Kronwall.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->