Speculation: 2019 free agency

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's funny how Karlsson's 11M caphit is a problem in almost every contender. He can't go to the best team, he has to pick some secondary level promising team which could be on the rise after 1-2 years.

I see Red Wings being on that group.

Those teams will move salary to make him fit. It's Karlsson. You make it work.

Reactions: Syckle78

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
He can't go to the best team, he has to pick some secondary level promising team which could be on the rise after 1-2 years.

This is nonsense. He *can* go to some of the best teams, he just can't go to *all* the best teams. Vegas is in a significantly better place in every way to acquire him, including being able to do it today, as a starting point.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1) Holland with that much cap space gives me anxiety

2) A team is only trading the necessary pieces to land Karlsson if they already have some assurance he will re-sign with them (Senators have actually given permission for teams to talk to him about an extension)

3) Dude took the puck out of their net in the last game, he's on a new team before the season starts

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is nonsense. He *can* go to some of the best teams, he just can't go to *all* the best teams. Vegas is in a significantly better place in every way to acquire him, including being able to do it today, as a starting point.

I'd throw Nashville into that mix. Their cap is structured so well that I could see them signing Karlsson, and still having room to re-sign Josi the following summer and keeping the vast bulk of that team together. They also have a strong Swedish contingent that might be appealing to him.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Just like Ken Holland can do it.

BUT..

those teams are doing it right this minute

unless you hear that KH is talking contract with EKs agent then forget about it

then the Sens would have to want to trade him within the division AND want back what we have to offer(very little) AND KH would have to be willing to move our 2019 1st plus plus plus

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Mathematically possible is different than probable, let alone something to hope for or rely on.

I CAN win the interstate lottery, with one in 300 million odds. That doesn't mean it's practical to consider.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
On non-Karlsson free agents, I think we should be all-in on Myers or Ellis if they are available. By then Kronwall will be gone and Ericsson, Green, and Daley will be on the last year of their deals and thus tradeable. Ellis or Myers could be good to round out a top 4 of Cholowski, Hronek, and DeKeyser. This is only if we can trade two of Daley/Ericsson/Green.

Cholowski - Ellis/Myers
DeKeyser - Hronek
Hicketts - Daley/Ericsson/Green

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Mathematically possible is different than probable, let alone something to hope for or rely on.

I CAN win the interstate lottery, with one in 300 million odds. That doesn't mean it's practical to consider.
I'm not relying on getting any of these free agents, I'm just discussing what could hypothetically happen.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
This is only if we can trade two of Daley/Ericsson/Green.

It's fine, on the condition we trade them prior to signing anyone. I don't want to bury Hronek or Cholo *again* for a guy who isn't likely to be a contributor when we're good again.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
1) Holland with that much cap space gives me anxiety

X2. Letting Holland enter the UFA negotiation period with tons of cap space and the goal of signing Karlsson WILL end with the Red Wings signing someone like Edler or Del Zotto to a long term deal...

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
WE hypothetically could trade for Mcdavid as well

But the Sens are going to trade EK in the coming days to weeks and that team will immediately announce a new 7/8 year career contract worth at least 90 million

we do not have the assets to land him today nor the cap space, period

Reactions: jkutswings

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It's fine, on the condition we trade them prior to signing anyone. I don't want to bury Hronek or Cholo *again* for a guy who isn't likely to be a contributor when we're good again.
Of course, should have clarified that.

Reactions: njx9

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
we do not have the assets to land him today nor the cap space, period

For Karlsson straight up, they certainly don't have the assets, but IMO, without the Bernier/Green/Vanek signings they might have the assets and could've absorbed the cap hits of Karlsson and Ryan (who obviously drags Karlssons value down), especially with one of Mantha or AA going the other way. The rest of the roster would have to be sub $1M waiver fodder or kids. Then they'd be in a huge cap bind once Karlsson gets that $11M/season extension.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I think it's an extremely risky proposition to trade for that dude and offer him that amount of money over eight years after the year he just had where he clearly wasn't healthy. I say let someone else take that risk and keep on rebuilding.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Odds are we won't get EK, but the question is what is Kenny going to do with roughly 16+ million ?

He's not the best gm when it comes to handing out contracts which makes this off-season scary.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'll be curious to see how this new rumor circulating about Karlsson to the Lightning plays out. Yzerman has something cooking that even The Rock can't smell, and there has to be something that falls out from this.

Is he really going to roster a team that could potentially have a top 4 D consisting of Karlsson-Hedman-Sergachev-McDonagh long term?

I want to know if this is a one year gamble on Karlsson and he's going to let him hit UFA status. To have those defenseman plus Stamkos and magically find money to pay Kucherov, I'll be amazed.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'll be curious to see how this new rumor circulating about Karlsson to the Lightning plays out. Yzerman has something cooking that even The Rock can't smell, and there has to be something that falls out from this.

Is he really going to roster a team that could potentially have a top 4 D consisting of Karlsson-Hedman-Sergachev-McDonagh long term?

I want to know if this is a one year gamble on Karlsson and he's going to let him hit UFA status. To have those defenseman plus Stamkos and magically find money to pay Kucherov, I'll be amazed.
Yzerman is a cap genius. He always finds a way to fit his stacked team under the cap.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Tampa's window is closing due to the cap crunch, with or without Karlsson. Sounds like Yzerman is trying to throw even the kitchen sink in there for one huge push before they're forced to retool.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think Tampa's window is closing due to the cap crunch, with or without Karlsson. Sounds like Yzerman is trying to throw even the kitchen sink in there for one huge push before they're forced to retool.

good for them, its unlikely they'll ever have a roster as talented this for a loooooong time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad