OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part IV – More like the "Football Thread", amirite?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Jets have the worst wr Corp in the league, even drafting one at 11 and asking him to be your number one guy, and go up against every top corner is a dangerous game to play.

The signing of Perriman helps immensely either/or a Lamb or Jeudy in either of their transition from college to the NFL.

I don't think either of those two rookies would be #1's or Perriman either. But if you can have two #2 types plus Crowder and Herndon not to mention Bell out of the backfield, as I said in my other post, I'll go to war with that as it gives Darnold alot more weapons than he has ever had.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The signing of Perriman helps immensely either/or a Lamb or Jeudy in either of their transition from college to the NFL.

I don't think either of those two rookies would be #1's or Perriman either. But if you can have two #2 types plus Crowder and Herndon not to mention Bell out of the backfield, as I said in my other post, I'll go to war with that as it gives Darnold alot more weapons than he has ever had.

The problem being they did nothing to improve either tackle spot, and would be better off taking a tackle at 11 if you want to give Sam any chance of every throwing from a clean pocket, and not have the line be an unmitigated disaster like last season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The problem being they did nothing to improve either tackle spot, and would be better off taking a tackle at 11 if you want to give Sam any chance of every throwing from a clean pocket, and not have the line be an unmitigated disaster like last season.
Fant COULD be good at LT. He did well in pass protection when he lined up there last year. Time will tell. He could also suck. McGovern will also help a lot, seemed like they got killed up the middle last year.

They still may take a tackle at 11 and have Fant be the swing tackle. A top OT prospect plus the rest of what they have assembled should be at least decent, particularly from a pass protection standpoint. I guess it depends on how the tackles and WRs fall. Even if they don't take a WR at 11 I imagine they take one with their next pick.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Im not into taking the 4th or 5th OL
Ceedee Lamb is a beast.
Hes not the fastest guy out there but the rout running and physicality is off the charts.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Fant COULD be good at LT. He did well in pass protection when he lined up there last year. Time will tell. He could also suck. McGovern will also help a lot, seemed like they got killed up the middle last year.

They still may take a tackle at 11 and have Fant be the swing tackle. A top OT prospect plus the rest of what they have assembled should be at least decent, particularly from a pass protection standpoint. I guess it depends on how the tackles and WRs fall. Even if they don't take a WR at 11 I imagine they take one with their next pick.

Hope I'm wrong, but Fant has shown nothing, Wilson basically had to run around all year last season because of how bad his line was, and the best Fant could do was be the spare lineman. Everyone says the draft is heavy at WR, I would go tackle, then WR/WR with the next two picks.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/how-improved-is-jets-offensive-line-after-right-free-agency-plan/

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hope I'm wrong, but Fant has shown nothing, Wilson basically had to run around all year last season because of how bad his line was, and the best Fant could do was be the spare lineman. Everyone says the draft is heavy at WR, I would go tackle, then WR/WR with the next two picks.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/how-improved-is-jets-offensive-line-after-right-free-agency-plan/
GGN did a great breakdown on Fant that I think really illustrates why Douglas--who isn't one to lavish contracts on crappy players--was willing to give Fant as much as he did.

Scouting Jets offensive tackle George Fant

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So GGN would say he's Fant-astic?
Haha. Seriously though, their opinion is that he is an ascendant player who could end up being a very good signing, or could end up no better than Osemele. But he does have good natural talent. And unlike some of their OL signings of late, he still has a good amount of football ahead of him at age 27.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I am a Phins fan but most of my friends and family are Giants fans. When I saw Miami signed Erik Flowers I did a double take. He might be the most maligned recent Giants player I can remember. I hope we use him at guard because he failed miserably as a tackle.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It has to be OL or WR for the Jets unless Okudah or Simmons fall (they won’t) becoming clear BPA. I think Douglas will emphasize OL unless he really thinks one of the WR’s has star potential.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

That would be the best offensive cast they’ve had in probably the last 20 years. Now, that says more about the Jets than anything, but still nice. It still wouldn’t be too 5-8 in the league IMO.

Reactions: Maximus

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
It has to be OL or WR for the Jets unless Okudah or Simmons fall (they won’t) becoming clear BPA. I think Douglas will emphasize OL unless he really thinks one of the WR’s has star potential.

Yup, I tend to lean more towards WR because of Robby's recent departure. They're extremely thin at that position. Okudah would be the one exception although there's little chance he slips to 11.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yup, I tend to lean more towards WR because of Robby's recent departure. They're extremely thin at that position. Okudah would be the one exception although there's little chance he slips to 11.

I wouldn’t be upset if they traded down either. Maybe a team jumps for a QB or WR

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Don't really post on this thread, but got nothing better to do, ATM....

Think the Jets have done well when it comes to FA, but stayed patient and quiet. Remodeled the O-line and brought back most of their linebackers on "prove it" deals. Think Fant is the only question mark at this time, I get why Douglas signed him to those terms. Really wanted Anderson to return, but Perriman is a good rebound, IMO. Sucks Copeland left, but the LB positions, at least on the inside, are solid.

There is a lot of work left to do, though. OL needs another capable starter on the LT/RT with more depth, WR is a need long term, CB is dry too (although I really like the Desir signing), they need a pass rusher, more depth at safety and a better backup QB. I have a depth chart as follows:

Offense (3W-1TE)
QB: Darnold, Fales, White
RB: Bell, Cannon, Adams, Dixon (would like to see Powell back for the backup)
WR: Crowder, Doctson, Bellamy
WR: Perriman, V. Smith, Hatcher
WR: Enunwa, Berrios, Chesson
TE: Herndon, Griffin, Wesco, D. Brown
LT: Fant, (INSERT DEPTH HERE)
LG: Lewis, C. Kaufusi
C: McGovern, Harrison, Lundblade, Murray
RG: Van Roten, Winters, Andrews
RT: Edoga, Braden

Defense (3-4)
LDE: Anderson, Shepherd, Willis
NT: McClendon, Fatukasi
RDE: Williams, Franklin-Myers, B. Kaufusi, Phillips
OLB: Basham, Gooden, Ray
ILB: Mosley, Hewitt, Burgess
ILB: Williamson, Onwuasor, Cashman
OLB: Jenkins, Langi
CB: Desir, Maulet, K. Brown
SS: Adams, Jackson
FS: Maye, Farley, Cioffi
CB: Poole, Austin, Hairston (I think Austin could end up starting if he stays healthy)

Special Teams
K: Maher (They definitely need to look for a kicker, don't want Ficken back)
P: Berryman (Not sure what happened to Edwards)
PR: Berrios, Crowder (Possibly Cannon here)
KR: V. Smith (Possibly Cannon here, too)
LS: Hennessy

Now, I hope they do go after Clowney and put Jenkins on the weakside, but it depends on the money/term. Don't want the Jets to overcommit on someone injury prone. They could go after Markus Golden, but it again would depend on money/term. There are a lot of RB's still available for depth, but I got a soft spot for bringing back Powell on a one year deal. He'll retire soon if not already. Underrated Jet, IMO. That isn't a must, though. I could see the Jets bring back Thomas for WR depth, but like Powell, might retire soon.

As for the draft, I think the Jets should go WR (one of Jeudy, Lamb, HR3 would be amazing under Darnold) with their 1st pick, but I think they'll ultimately look for the OL, especially given WR has a strong class. I wonder, though, if they can't sign a pass rusher in Clowney/Golden/equivalent, would they reach on K'Lavon Chaisson? One has to think there would be an edge in the later portions of the draft, but it certainly is intriguing. I think every Jets fan wants Okudah if he falls or if the Jets trade up, but that seems highly unlikely. There are rumors that the Jets will take a QB in the draft, too, which is some food for thought, lolol.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Don't really post on this thread, but got nothing better to do, ATM....

Think the Jets have done well when it comes to FA, but stayed patient and quiet. Remodeled the O-line and brought back most of their linebackers on "prove it" deals. Think Fant is the only question mark at this time, I get why Douglas signed him to those terms. Really wanted Anderson to return, but Perriman is a good rebound, IMO. Sucks Copeland left, but the LB positions, at least on the inside, are solid.

There is a lot of work left to do, though. OL needs another capable starter on the LT/RT with more depth, WR is a need long term, CB is dry too (although I really like the Desir signing), they need a pass rusher, more depth at safety and a better backup QB. I have a depth chart as follows:

Offense (3W-1TE)
QB: Darnold, Fales, White
RB: Bell, Cannon, Adams, Dixon (would like to see Powell back for the backup)
WR: Crowder, Doctson, Bellamy
WR: Perriman, V. Smith, Hatcher
WR: Enunwa, Berrios, Chesson
TE: Herndon, Griffin, Wesco, D. Brown
LT: Fant, (INSERT DEPTH HERE)
LG: Lewis, C. Kaufusi
C: McGovern, Harrison, Lundblade, Murray
RG: Van Roten, Winters, Andrews
RT: Edoga, Braden

Defense (3-4)
LDE: Anderson, Shepherd, Willis
NT: McClendon, Fatukasi
RDE: Williams, Franklin-Myers, B. Kaufusi, Phillips
OLB: Basham, Gooden, Ray
ILB: Mosley, Hewitt, Burgess
ILB: Williamson, Onwuasor, Cashman
OLB: Jenkins, Langi
CB: Desir, Maulet, K. Brown
SS: Adams, Jackson
FS: Maye, Farley, Cioffi
CB: Poole, Austin, Hairston (I think Austin could end up starting if he stays healthy)

Special Teams
K: Maher (They definitely need to look for a kicker, don't want Ficken back)
P: Berryman (Not sure what happened to Edwards)
PR: Berrios, Crowder (Possibly Cannon here)
KR: V. Smith (Possibly Cannon here, too)
LS: Hennessy

Now, I hope they do go after Clowney and put Jenkins on the weakside, but it depends on the money/term. Don't want the Jets to overcommit on someone injury prone. They could go after Markus Golden, but it again would depend on money/term. There are a lot of RB's still available for depth, but I got a soft spot for bringing back Powell on a one year deal. He'll retire soon if not already. Underrated Jet, IMO. That isn't a must, though. I could see the Jets bring back Thomas for WR depth, but like Powell, might retire soon.

As for the draft, I think the Jets should go WR (one of Jeudy, Lamb, HR3 would be amazing under Darnold) with their 1st pick, but I think they'll ultimately look for the OL, especially given WR has a strong class. I wonder, though, if they can't sign a pass rusher in Clowney/Golden/equivalent, would they reach on K'Lavon Chaisson? One has to think there would be an edge in the later portions of the draft, but it certainly is intriguing. I think every Jets fan wants Okudah if he falls or if the Jets trade up, but that seems highly unlikely. There are rumors that the Jets will take a QB in the draft, too, which is some food for thought, lolol.

Thoughts?
Pretty good, but you forgot one thing: they
Need a new coach most of all

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Giants picking OL is a lock at 4 unless they trade down.

Jets are WR, OL or trade down

FAR from a lock. Very far.

They will be drafting Simmons...unless Young somehow is sitting there at 4.

Draft the impact D player at 4. Take a Center with the 2nd round pick.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The Draft Network

Found this cool tool that simulates you through the NFL mock. Turned out with the following for the Jets:

1 (11) OT: Jedrick Wills (Alabama)
2 (48) Edge: Terrell Lewis (Alabama)
3 (68) WR: Michael Pittman Jr. (USC)
3 (79) OT: Michael Peart (UConn)
4 (120) WR: Bryan Edwards (South Carolina)
5 (158) RB: A.J. Dillon (Boston College)
6 (191) CB: Dane Jackson (Pittsburgh)
6 (211) CB: A.J. Green (Oklahoma State)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The Draft Network

Found this cool tool that simulates you through the NFL mock. Turned out with the following for the Jets:

2 (48) Edge: Terrell Lewis (Alabama)
3 (68) WR: Michael Pittman Jr. (USC)
3 (79) OT: Michael Peart (UConn)
4 (120) WR: Bryan Edwards (South Carolina)
5 (158) RB: A.J. Dillon (Boston College)
6 (191) CB: Dane Jackson (Pittsburgh)
6 (211) CB: A.J. Green (Oklahoma State)

Cool tool! This is what I did for the Jets:

2 (48) WR: Tee Higgins (Clemson)
3 (68) CB: Cameron Dantzler (Miss State)
3 (79) WR: Chase Claypool (Norte Dame)
4 (120) RB: Anthony McFarland (Maryland)
5 (158) WR: Devin Duvernay (Texas)
6 (191) Edge: Jonathan Garvin (Miami)
6 (211) TE: Jared Pinkney (Norte Dame)

Mostly offensive heavy on my side, but made sense from my end. I was tempted to pick one of Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs in the 1st, but went with the smarter choice in Wills haha

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Cool tool! This is what I did for the Jets:

2 (48) WR: Tee Higgins (Clemson)
3 (68) CB: Cameron Dantzler (Miss State)
3 (79) WR: Chase Claypool (Norte Dame)
4 (120) RB: Anthony McFarland (Maryland)
5 (158) WR: Devin Duvernay (Texas)
6 (191) Edge: Jonathan Garvin (Miami)
6 (211) TE: Jared Pinkney (Norte Dame)

Mostly offensive heavy on my side, but made sense from my end. I was tempted to pick one of Jeudy, Lamb or Ruggs in the 1st, but went with the smarter choice in Wills haha

Yeah I did different scenarios, as well. Figured the Jets would fair well if one of Wills, Wirfs or Becton fall. Not a big fan of Thomas.

I could understand the 3 WR's, but what was your thinking on adding the TE? The Jets seem fine, for at least short term with Herndon, Wesco and Griffin.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That would be the best offensive cast they’ve had in probably the last 20 years. Now, that says more about the Jets than anything, but still nice. It still wouldn’t be too 5-8 in the league IMO.

That offensive arsenal potentially for the Jets that I mentioned above if they took Jeudie or Bell along with the others, may not be top 5-8, but it would definitely at worst be upper half in the league and possibly top 10 if all went right.

I'm more convinced now that Jets need to take one of those WR's if they fall seeing the O-lineman they would get very likely wouldn't make the impact that one of those WR's would. Besides, Douglass could still find some more lineman in the draft which combined with OL signings JD made already, the Jets would be in pretty decent shape offensively heading into the season.

We gotta get some kind edge rusher and another CB in the draft as well. Schedule this year will be quite a bit tougher than last year's and so even if Jets are improved, their record this upcoming season could still hover around that 8-8 type range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad