OT: 2019 Football Thread: Free Agency and The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I'm interested in Haskins but not particularly thrilled about trading up to get him let alone throwing a f***ing huge package like that at a team.

What will probably be two Top 10 picks and a high 2nd, good lord.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
CNN/SI mock draft from 4 days ago

NFL Mock Draft: Five QBs taken in Round 1

It would be a great deal for both teams.

The Giants move up and grab their QB.

The Jets move down and select a player at #6 who is under consideration for them at #3. The Jets don't have a 2nd this year. They get back into the 2nd round this year and another 1st for next season. The Giants have the Browns #1 so they can afford to move their 2nd.
Next year's pick is equivalent to a current pick one round later so this trade is moving to 3 from 6 in exchange for 2 seconds. Last year the Jets moved from 6 to 3 for 2 seconds plus a next year second (equivalent to a third) so throw in at least another third to make equivalent to last year's trade. Even then I'm not sure i make a trade like that to a team I'm sharing a stadium with.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Next year's pick is equivalent to a current pick one round later so this trade is moving to 3 from 6 in exchange for 2 seconds. Last year the Jets moved from 6 to 3 for 2 seconds plus a next year second (equivalent to a third) so throw in at least another third to make equivalent to last year's trade. Even then I'm not sure i make a trade like that to a team I'm sharing a stadium with.

That's not really accurate when the team is bad, though. For an average-good team? I think that's a fair way of looking at it.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
That's not really accurate when the team is bad, though. For an average-good team? I think that's a fair way of looking at it.
Yeah like when the Chiefs traded 27 and their 2018 first (and a third) to move up for Mahomes.

Then again, that was to move up SEVENTEEN spots. Compared to the Giants moving up 3.

Frankly, I don’t see the move up being necessary. Who is taking Haskins before 6? Arizona? No. Oakland. Maybe, probably not. Tampa seems like they’re sticking with Jameis.

Just a stupid, stupid proposal in every sense possible, from every angle.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You can't really judge how good ateam will be in future years. Last year 7 playoff teams missed the playoffs the previous year. That's very common. In fact other than the pats (10) and the chiefs (4) no team has more than 2 consecutive playoff appearances and there are only 3 of them.

And you can't compare the cost of moving up at the very top of the draft with anything else.

Whether the trade make sense for the Giants...I don't know. But if they want Haskins their concern is if anyone else trades up.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
You can't really judge how good ateam will be in future years. Last year 7 playoff teams missed the playoffs the previous year. That's very common. In fact other than the pats (10) and the chiefs (4) no team has more than 2 consecutive playoff appearances and there are only 3 of them.

And you can't compare the cost of moving up at the very top of the draft with anything else.

Whether the trade make sense for the Giants...I don't know. But if they want Haskins their concern is if anyone else trades up.

There’s really no way to spin it, that is a horrific trade for the NYG.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
If you want to ignore any sort of context whatsoever, sure, it’s the “same price”.
What context exactly? Moving up from 6 to 3 to draft a QB seems the same to me. Only difference is whether you consider a future first equivalent to a current second which seems the general rule but sure there could be exceptions. What's the exception here?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
What context exactly? Moving up from 6 to 3 to draft a QB seems the same to me. Only difference is whether you consider a future first equivalent to a current second which seems the general rule but sure there could be exceptions. What's the exception here?
Uh, the exception is that the Giants are bad and there’s a very good chance they’ll be just as bad next year?

You can’t just discount the possibility of that pick being top-5 because the chances are pretty high. A bad team trading some 2nds isn’t the same as a bad team trading a future first, draft chart be damned.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Did a Jets fan put together that mock draft and trade? Awful.

The only way we should be drafting Haskins is if he falls to #6, which he wont.

Ralph Vacchiano was adamant yesterday that the Giants were drafting a pass rusher at 6. Its the right move.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Did a Jets fan put together that mock draft and trade? Awful.

The only way we should be drafting Haskins is if he falls to #6, which he wont.

Ralph Vacchiano was adamant yesterday that the Giants were drafting a pass rusher at 6. Its the right move.
I just don’t see a team taking Haskins top-5

I’ve thought he was a natural fit for the Giants for Months and I continue to.

Az- Kyler or Edge
SF- Williams or Edge - definitely NOT QB
Jets- Edge, Williams, definitely NOT QB
Oakland- defense in general, white or edge - maybe if gruden likes him but i dont see it, they’re trying to win next year, Carr is the proven guy
Tampa- defense again, white if the raiders dont take him. i wouldnt say them taking haskins is IMPOSSIBLE but Arians wants a chance to work with Jameis imo

I think the Giants should take an edge but think Haskins to the Giants is bound by fate

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

You cant just generalize QBs together.

Darnold >>> Haskins.

37 pick > 38 pick

2020 #1 from a bad team >>> #49 pick

Everyone knew the Jets would be bad this past year, developing a rookie QB. They would never have included their 2019 #1.

Giants have zero depth on D. They are going to get smoked next year and will have at least a top 5 pick. The Giants wont move that pick.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Uh, the exception is that the Giants are bad and there’s a very good chance they’ll be just as bad next year?

You can’t just discount the possibility of that pick being top-5 because the chances are pretty high. A bad team trading some 2nds isn’t the same as a bad team trading a future first, draft chart be damned.
People always expect bad teams to stay bad and good teams to stay good. Unless you're the Jets (or the browns) that's usually not true.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
People always expect bad teams to stay bad and good teams to stay good. Unless you're the Jets (or the browns) that's usually not true.
If you have a bad team you should probably be hesititant to trade away a future first unless there’s a very high chance the team will improve.

If the Giants start Eli (looks like they will) next season...well lets just say that pick will be high

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
That’s pretty much the trade we discussed a few pages back if the Jets were trading with Washington. That’s the ask if you’re moving down to 15, not to 6.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still don't get these mocks. almost all of them have AZ picking murray however they then have the giants moving heaven and earth to move up to take haskins at 3 instead of just handing over a 2nd rounder to AZ for Rosen and keeping their first rounders? just absurd to do.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah I wouldn't trade anyhting to get Haskins. Not a fan of Rosen either. If Lock is at 6 i'd take him. Not a fan of Jones, but if you are going to get a non-qb stud at 6 and he's the one left at 17 i guess so. This is the problem the Giants have gotten themselves into. Would Jones fall to 37? Prob closer to where he should go...

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
If you don't want the Giants to draft Haskins, fine. But stop saying stuff like "nobody else in the top 5 will take him@@!!!" Like every single 1st round QB except 1 I believe (Baker) was traded up for in the recent past. Teams trade up. If the Giants wont, I bet someone will, especially with the Niners and Jets rumored to be looking to trade down.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Giants aint gonna move up for Haskins they’re gonna trade for Russell Wilson

Calling this shit right now, if Wilson isn’t re-signed by his self imposed deadline he’ll be a Giant.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Giants aint gonna move up for Haskins they’re gonna trade for Russell Wilson

Calling this **** right now, if Wilson isn’t re-signed by his self imposed deadline he’ll be a Giant.
I'd rather do that than move up for a mediocre QB prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad