OT: 2019 Football Thread: Free Agency and The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You coulda given them the 17th pick and still walked away with Allen Rosen and traded up for the corner if you wanted to and it still would have been a great night. To see that Rosen goes for the 62nd pick? Just horrible job by the giants. Horrible

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Bruh poor ****ing Daniel Jones :laugh: He hasn’t even played a down and Giants fans are already going HAM on him on Twitter

Fans will be fans.

I'm sure Jones is above it, but if he succeeds I wouldn't blame him for Eddie Murraying the media (not the fans). I'd be taking down names, but then I'm a vindictive sorta person.

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Phil Simms was also a merely average NFL QB and drafted in an era before analytics. I would not take Simms at 7 today.

Pre-Simms:
Norm Snead
Craig Morton (traded #1 to Dallas who drafted Randy White)
Joe Pisarcik
Jim Del Gaizo
Jerry Golsteyn

Maybe in your opinion Simms was "average" but he sure wasn't average for the Giants back then. And I know he only won one Superbowl but he might've won another if he hadn't gotten hurt when Hostetler took over.

And he was actually drafted by the Giants (as opposed to Tittle and Tarkenton**).

**edited as a originally wrote Tarkington (just like Gary Thorne callling him Purington).

Last edited:
Reactions: jas

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Butler would be a big get for Eli not sure he makes it to the giants pick here but they could use a receiver like that. Small corps right now

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well I like the last 3 giants picks even if I don’t like how much he gave up to move back into the first round for Baker but he did get the best corner in the draft and just came away with ONE of the best corners in the draft in Love. Between Baker Beal and Love plus Peppers they are doing a really nice job rebuilding the secondary. They’re going to need it because no one is coming to get the QB.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I really like the Jets draft so far. Would've preferred a trade-down, but it's clear the value wasn't there given that the Giants weren't gonna move up for Daniel f***ing Jones (lol) and there was no desire for Haskins early.

Took a very safe player who most believe is the best player in the draft at 3. Took a huge swing for the fences in Polite, took a great pass-blocking OT, and a TE who is sure to be a contributor.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Jets fans are going to absolutely love Trevon Wesco. This kid is an absolute animal at TE. Fantastic blocker, his hands REALLY developed, and he can line up all over the field. Really wanted him on the Giants.

Good to hear... wasn't thrilled with what I'd read about him. I can't say I'd seen any WVU games this past season

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Good to hear... wasn't thrilled with what I'd read about him. I can't say I'd seen any WVU games this past season

I would imagine most of what you've read are from idiots who only looked at his stat line. Dana Holgorsen was awful at WVU in utilizing the TE position. Wesco was second on his squad in yardage from the TE position with 6 yards in 2016.

That's right. 6 yards.

The moron head coach finally realized the kid could play his senior year. Basically wasted his entire collegiate career. And he didn't even let the kid run and go until almost midway through last year.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Jets fans are going to absolutely love Trevon Wesco. This kid is an absolute animal at TE. Fantastic blocker, his hands REALLY developed, and he can line up all over the field. Really wanted him on the Giants.

Hope your right Hunter. Pro Football Focus has him ranked 228 of 250 which according to them make the pick a pretty big reach but I'm OK with it seeing he'll help the Oline and help protect Sam which is of uber importance and he has upside. As far their second 5th round pick of ours LB Blake Cashman from Minnesota is apparently a steal for us according to my "bible" when it comes to player evals...Pro Football Focus.

They had him ranked 59th on their board which is a late 2nd round pick and yet we get him late in the 5th. Screams to me value. Here's what they say about him..." Cashman earned a 90.0-plus overall grade this past season and tested out as one of the most athletic linebackers in the class at the combine".

Bottom line is if PFF likes the pick...than we here in Jet Nation should as well as they are pretty dang good at what they do when it comes to player evaluations both college and pro.

Now we just need to figure out a way to get a center and another CB before training camp and we should be set to go. All in all, I give the draft a B+/A- as Mac didn't get stupid or cute as he got best player in the draft in Quinnen and addressed some needed positions......

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't like what the Jets did today. I didn't like trading down. I didn't like the ILB pick. He sounds like a nobody, ST player maybe. And then the CB they took has played 5 games combined the past two years, had two serious one injuries in a row an ran a slow 40. The TE seems okay.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Has Gettleman been fired yet? Now is the perfect time for us giants fans to purchase one of those stupid billboards and have it surround met life stadium.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I don't like what the Jets did today. I didn't like trading down. I didn't like the ILB pick. He sounds like a nobody, ST player maybe. And then the CB they took has played 5 games combined the past two years, had two serious one injuries in a row an ran a slow 40. The TE seems okay.

The lack of again not picking offensive players is amazing. I thought they should have picked at least two wide receivers this weekend.

Also, three 23 year olds today, because Macc loves picking his older players. The offensive line looks below average, with awful depth once again.

Give Sam weapons at receiver so when guys get hurt we are not running out there Deontay Burnett and Josh Bellamy.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Jets:
Wesco was our best pick today. I've seen some very good evaluations of him. Brian Baldinger called him Baby Gronk. He's a big deadly blocker capable of being utilized in many ways. Definitely helps the run game. Runs good routes and finally got a chance to catch passes this season.

Cashman might be a good sleeper. At worst, both of these guys help our special teams. Yet, a LB was not a position of need.

The CB was a puzzling decision. Trading down in the 4th was disappointing. We had some decent WRs and CBs available at that point. We also passed up Michael Jordan. Our center position and depth is frightening. I guess Lee isn't going anywhere unless it's for another player in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad