OT: 2019 Football Thread: Free Agency and The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
They could've had Barr +. Sounds like more of a blessing.

They have nothing to show for center. So while I can understand why an Injury scared them off, that doesnt make the lack of attention to the position any better. Were they scared of Morse too?
Believe it or not, our tackles were solid last year. Our interior was these issue.. We got a pro-bowl LG. Winters should have a rebound season.. Center should be addressed in the draft. Whether that's trading up to the 2nd or using one of, if not both of, our 3rds.

We'll see what happens. Harrison could improve with better guard play.

edit- is Lee and NOs 3rd enough to get back into the 2nd?

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
And for Morse? He's the highest paid center in the league now... and has been hurt the past 2 seasons. I dont see it being worth it. Get the guy you like in the draft with a 2nd or 3rd.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Blindside blocking is now illegal.. So, I guess you'll just have to let the guy tackle the ball carrier

oof.

As the years roll by... I find myself drifting from the NFL

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Blindside blocking is now illegal.. So, I guess you'll just have to let the guy tackle the ball carrier

oof.

...w...what? What the hell is a tackle supposed to do to the pass rusher? Tickle him?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

oof.

I understand the resistance to this. I also understand the rationale.

Blindside blocks are now illegal if initiated with the head, forearm, or shoulder. So, you can still block guys with your hands (as most receivers on the edge would do anyway). This eliminates the hits where guys get blown up and destroyed. I don't know that this will really substantively change the way plays are designed or executed; guys will just have to learn how to block like they're linemen. And the rationale is that so many of the concussions were coming on these plays, which isn't good for anyone. It was only a matter of time, IMO, and I don't think people will really notice much difference.
...w...what? What the hell is a tackle supposed to do to the pass rusher? Tickle him?
It shouldn't really impact anyone on the line. This is an attempt to eliminate the huge blindside blocks you see when on punt and kick returns, returns on interceptions and other turnovers, etc. The violent ones where the field is switched and defenseless guy gets de-cleated by a guy launching himself shoulder-first into the player. As I mentioned above, you can't contact guys with your helmet, shoulder, or forearm. Any remotely competent linemen should be able to block an edge rush without doing what is now outlawed.

Last edited:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I understand the resistance to this. I also understand the rationale.

Blindside blocks are now illegal if initiated with the head, forearm, or shoulder. So, you can still block guys with your hands (as most receivers on the edge would do anyway). This eliminates the hits where guys get blown up and destroyed. I don't know that this will really substantively change the way plays are designed or executed; guys will just have to learn how to block like they're linemen. And the rationale is that so many of the concussions were coming on these plays, which isn't good for anyone. It was only a matter of time, IMO, and I don't think people will really notice much difference.

It shouldn't really impact anyone on the line. This is an attempt to eliminate the huge blindside blocks you see when on punt and kick returns, returns on interceptions and other turnovers, etc. The violent ones where the field is switched and defenseless guy gets de-cleated by a guy launching himself shoulder-first into the player. As I mentioned above, you can't contact guys with your helmet, shoulder, or forearm. Any remotely competent linemen should be able to block an edge rush without doing what is now outlawed.
Roger. I didn't understand the context initially.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
CNN/SI mock draft from 4 days ago

3. *PROJECTED TRADE* N.Y. Giants (from N.Y. Jets): Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
History shows us that quarterback rise in the draft. Here, we're projecting that the Giants will trade their sixth overall pick to the Jets along with their second-round pick (37th overall) and their 2020 first-round pick to trade up to three spots to ensure they get their guy. (I ran the scenario by a source who said that package of picks would probably get the job done.) I’m not buying the report that the Giants aren’t interested in Haskins. I ran that idea by several scouts from different teams and each thought it was nonsense. New York brought a large contingent to his pro day, had dinner with him the night before and will be bringing him out to New Jersey for a visit. Haskins is more mobile than Eli Manning, and I think it would be crazy for the Giants to pass on him and wait another year to draft a quarterback.

6. *PROJECTED TRADE* N.Y. Jets (from N.Y. Giants): Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
The Jets are badly in need of some defensive playmakers, especially in the pass rush. They failed to get Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr in free agency, so this need is still very much a priority. Allen improved more than any prospect during the 2018 college football season, and has the ability to step in and make an impact right away in Gregg Williams defense.

NFL Mock Draft: Five QBs taken in Round 1

It would be a great deal for both teams.

The Giants move up and grab their QB.

The Jets move down and select a player at #6 who is under consideration for them at #3. The Jets don't have a 2nd this year. They get back into the 2nd round this year and another 1st for next season. The Giants have the Browns #1 so they can afford to move their 2nd.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

The Jets move down and select a player at #6 who is under consideration for them at #3. The Jets don't have a 2nd this year. They get back into the 2nd round this year and another 1st for next season. The Giants have the Browns #1 so they can afford to move their 2nd.

The #6 an early 2nd and the Giants #1 next year, which is likely going to be at least a top 10 pick is terrible for them.

The Jets traded the #38, #49 and their #2 this year to get a much better quarterback.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
People always bring up Ohio and the WRs being YAC beasts, helping pad Haskins stats. But aren’t Barkley, Tate and Shepard similar in that regard? Really seems like they have the supporting cast for Dwayne.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

On what planet is that a "great deal" for the Giants? That's a terrible deal. The Giants should absolutely not be moving two firsts to jump up to 3. Period. The deal would be for the 6 and a 2nd and later round pick. Moving the 6, the 37, and another 1st is laughably bad.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
On what planet is that a "great deal" for the Giants? That's a terrible deal. The Giants should absolutely not be moving two firsts to jump up to 3. Period. The deal would be for the 6 and a 2nd and later round pick. Moving the 6, the 37, and another 1st is laughably bad.

Deal should be the #6, 37 and their 5th.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016

If the Giants made this trade I would literally not even bother with this team. The OBJ trade was one of the most egregious offenses in my tenure as a fan.

If they trade a 2nd AND a 2020 first (when we know this team will be picking top 10 again), idk, maybe I shouldn’t try as hard when I go to work because clearly incompetent people rule the day.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

That's a Jet fans wet-dream...

Reactions: Hunter Gathers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad