2019 F1

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I can't see how Max gets away with this one.
Apparently his screen didn't show yellows, but the marshals were certainly waving them. Also, if he doesn't see the yellow, the fact that there's a car in the barrier a few meters off the racing line should be a pretty big clue that you should probably slow down. He already had the pole in the pocket, he should feel pretty stupid of he loses it because of this.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Weren't there yellow flags out? Max improved his time 5-10 seconds after Valtteri put his car in the wall.

But yeah, Max is not keeping P1 going into the first corner with Ferraris starting 2-3.

Ferrari uses their jet engine to take the lead. Max using the Red Bull advantage in later sectors to regain it.

Yada yada yada somehow Lewis wins.

Reactions: JoVel

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I'm still not seeing anything about tossing Max's lap. Plenty of time to announce something by now but what are they seeing/not seeing that the rest of the world saw?

Edit: at least one report that Max has now been summoned.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
What was the reasoning a few years back for the rule change that you need to start the race with the set of tires you set the fastest lap with in Q2, if you make Q3? It used to be Q3 tires for the start of the race. Makes no sense to me, just increases the gap between the top teams and midfield.

The proposal announced today for 2020 scraps the Q2 tire rule.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't love the decision but I don't hate it either. Max can very much still win this race. It's just a bit harder now.

He probably feels real dumb right now though.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

That right there is the reason Max got his penalty. Those comments weren't very smart. Should've just gone full Hamilton and said "nah I had no idea someone was in the wall".

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Having seen the video from his onboard I can understand if he missed it but yeah. He saw it and admitted it. Play dumb man.

If he plays that better maybe they just throw out that lap time and that's that.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
What was the reasoning a few years back for the rule change that you need to start the race with the set of tires you set the fastest lap with in Q2, if you make Q3? It used to be Q3 tires for the start of the race. Makes no sense to me, just increases the gap between the top teams and midfield.
IIRC it was so that the top teams (let's be honest, there's always going to be a gap, no matter what the rules are) don't have to save tyres and thus it makes Q3 more entertaining.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I love when fans give driver of the day to drivers in the top 3 teams when they ruin their races in lap one and then make make an average recovery to finish behind the other top drivers. My favorite was Vettel last season in France.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Considering how much speculation there would be about which strategy was best and how the last few laps would be a shootout between 1-5 drivers....that ending sure did stink.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'd like to know how many races Lewis has won where he has claimed that the team has screwed his strategy.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd like to know how many races Lewis has won where he has claimed that the team has screwed his strategy.

A lot, just like when he's running a comfortable 1st and he's on the radio about something not being right with the car when it's running fine

He likes some drama and if there is none he creates it, he thrives on it

Reactions: Paris in Flames

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Looked at some betting odds this morning and did think to myself despite all the negativity about Ferrari and Red Bull being quicker there would somehow be a way Hamilton would get the win. In the end I decided against putting money on, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Looked at some betting odds this morning and did think to myself despite all the negativity about Ferrari and Red Bull being quicker there would somehow be a way Hamilton would get the win. In the end I decided against putting money on, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I feel that if you put the exact same money on Lewis each race you'd probably come out ahead by seasons end. Not a huge amount. But still ahead.

I don't think I could get on F1. Another driver goes wide and slams into the guy you had to win...poof. Your guy is leading with 6 laps to go... random engine problems...poof.

The most I get on f1 is the fantasy league I'm in. $55 buy in. Predict the top 10 for each weekend and get points based on that. 10 points if you're right and you lose 1 point for every position you're off. Say you have Vettel winning but he finishes 3rd...that's 8 points etc.

Grand prize is over $1000 and I'm sitting about...8th so it's out of reach but I've already got the most points on 2 weekends and each weekend is worth $25 so I'm essentially even again.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Pretty excited about this new era. Cars should lose only 10% of their downforce while following others, while it's 40-50% now. Mathematically that sounds wonderful. In practice? We'll see.

Also interested in how teams will cheat on the spending cap.

On a side note, have you guys read any F1 related books? And if so, can you recommend them? Been thinking about buying the Senna vs Prost book.

Last edited:

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Most of the changes are in line with what has been previously revealed or discussed in general, so not too much of a surprise with today's announcements. I think they've done a good job of selling their reasoning to the public (and I guess the teams since they agreed), and rolling out today's announcement. So thumbs up for F1 taking the approach they have.

I'm not a fan of limited testing and some of the limits for in season upgrades (rewards teams that develop a good car out of the gate and gives no chance for teams that miss it out of design), some of the gearbox, brake and suspension rules, but that's nitpicking. If it makes it more competitive and keeps more teams viable, that's all we really care about.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009

I know that, by and large, FP1 doesn't mean much but man there's some weird shit up there.

Gasly in P4. Grosjean ahead of Hamilton. Stroll just off Hamilton's pace.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

Same as now, ESPN will use Sky Sports broadcast showing all FP's, qualifying and races, with races commercial free.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

I know that, by and large, FP1 doesn't mean much but man there's some weird **** up there.

Gasly in P4. Grosjean ahead of Hamilton. Stroll just off Hamilton's pace.

2020 test tires almost exclusively for HAM in FP1. Impossible to tell anything because there was such a mix of test tires, test parts, etc. It wasn't a FP as much as a testing session. Even crappy Haas was testing 2020 parts.

Edit: I'm not sure if they are doing the same testing in FP2 or not. FP3 may be the only true "practice" this weekend?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad