2019 F1

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
In Hamilton's case I think we can safely say it's amazing how much "luck" you seem to get when your superior to your competition

The guy is unbelievably good at what he does

It's mainly because Bottas is his teammate. Since Ferrari became genuinely competitive in 2017 Hamilton has been handed many wins on a plate at circuits where Mercedes had a slower car due to safety cars and bad Ferrari strategy or reliability, yes he put himself in positions to get those wins but it's mainly because Bottas (or Raikkonen in the 2nd Ferrari) was nowhere in those races. I can't help thinking it would be very different if Rosberg was still his teammate.

Reactions: JoVel

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Is it luck or just Hamilton and his teams professionalism?

I'm the first person to admit Ferrari are run by donkeys but Mercedes seem to be able to take full advantage of it every single time, there's skill in that

I always thought that if you had the fastest car you would win in the modern era but I was really wrong
Luck. Ferrari had the race in the bag, then the safety car happened.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Orlens is demanding Williams give them a better explanation on why Kubica was retired. Seems like they may move forward with some legal action depending on how they feel the explanation is.

So....rock bottom for Williams?

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Orlens is demanding Williams give them a better explanation on why Kubica was retired. Seems like they may move forward with some legal action depending on how they feel the explanation is.

So....rock bottom for Williams?

You mean "ROKiT bottom"?

But seriously, I'm not sure what Orlen's angle is here. It was a one year deal because of Kubica, and they already announced that they would be leaving Williams since Kubica is "retiring". It's not like other teams don't park their cars to save them for future races, I guess the only difference here is Williams admitted it was to save parts and not PU elements like is usually the case. It just feels like they are kicking Williams when they're down.

Depending on what you believe, Orlen is still interested in remaining in F1 with either Haas or the Pink Panthers, but whether that requires Kubica getting a testing seat with either team is a question. If that's true, I'm not sure why they would be pursuing this matter with Williams because that's not the best look for future sponsorships in F1. If Orlen wanted to pursue this matter, they really should have done it privately.

Edit: It's not like Orlen didn't know there was a major issue with Williams before the season started. They showed up late for winter testing because the cars weren't built.

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Doesn't Lance Stroll love Kubica? Or...Lawrence saw tremendous value in him being around Lance....There's definitely a Kubica/Stroll connection but I forget what it was.

Could see Kubica joining Racing Point in a testing/reserve role. Assuming he would be fine with that...and if Orlen sees that as a worthwhile partnership.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Confirmed 2020 schedule:

19-21 FEBPRE-SEASON TEST 1Barcelona
-26 - 28 FEBPRE-SEASON TEST 2Barcelona
115 MARAUSTRALIAMelbourne
222 MARBAHRAINSakhir
35 APRVIETNAMHanoi
419 APRCHINAShanghai
53 MAYNETHERLANDSZandvoort
610 MAYSPAINBarcelona
724 MAYMONACOMonte Carlo
87 JUNAZERBAIJANBaku
914 JUNCANADAMontreal
1028 JUNFRANCELe Castellet
115 JULAUSTRIASpielberg
1219 JULGREAT BRITAINSilverstone
132 AUGHUNGARYBudapest
1430 AUGBELGIUMSpa-Francorchamps
156 SEPITALY**Monza
1620 SEPSINGAPORESingapore
1727 SEPRUSSIASochi
1811 OCTJAPANSuzuka
1925 OCTUNITED STATESAustin
201 NOVMEXICO CITYMexico City
2115 NOVBRAZILSao Paulo
2229 NOVABU DHABIYas Island
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But seriously, I'm not sure what Orlen's angle is here.

They're supporting Williams because of Kubica, and if he's not driving then they have no reason to support the struggling team anymore. The Williams brand in itself has an insufficient value in Poland.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yeah, Sunday it is as it has sometimes been before. Especially after Bianchi they're not going to drive in heavy rain.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
That's not good for my F1 pool I'm in. I probably won't have time between qualifying and the race to get my picks in.

Ah well. Put the Mercedes, RB and Ferrari as the top 6 in whatever order. Completely guess on 7-10 and hope for the best.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Bottas driving with Hamilton's previous 2019 chassis this weekend sounds.. odd. Why didn't Mercedes build two identical to begin with? :huh:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
As a man who lost the weekend in my fantasy pool because I said Stroll would finish in the points and then he didn't because of weird technicalities that allow a crashed Perez to score points....they really should come up with a real system in place for when they inevitably do this again.

Today it only cost Lance Stroll a point. What if Hamilton had made it past Vettel on lap 53? It would be an absolute gongshow.

(I also think Leclerc should have had some on track penalties instead of the time penalties after the race)

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Also. Racing Point had filed an official protest against Renault which is being investigated. They put together a 12 page dossier so apparently it's gonna take some time. Buuuut if Renault is guilty then they're in some hot water.

Clearly a disgruntled Hulk has gone mole.

Last edited:

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Renault hired the former F1 technical chief back in 2018. If anyone would know how to game the system, it would be him.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Doesn't anyone want to congratulate Mercedes on their 137th consecutive Constructors' Championship? No? Neither do I.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Eh.

Let's talk about it this time next year when they lock up the 138th.

I see no reason to think Red Bull or Ferrari can get their **** together to realistically challenge.
To be fair to Red Bull, I think they're just waiting on Honda. Ferrari, well, even if they have the best car they seem to struggle with strategies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad