2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Is it just me or does Pelletier have stone hands?

I don't think he has stone hands, he has a choppy motion overall and it seems that he doesn't like to cradle his wrists to dampen the puck. His stickhandling reminds me of Marchand's, in that it is crafty and effective, but not particularly sexy to watch.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't think he has stone hands, he has a choppy motion overall and it seems that he doesn't like to cradle his wrists to dampen the puck. His stickhandling reminds me of Marchand's, in that it is crafty and effective, but not particularly sexy to watch.

I just watched a game of his and this stood out to me. He wasn't able to handle a bunch of half decent passes. Not every pass in the NHL is going to be perfect, it can be a real asset to be able to snag any errant pass. He's also a puck pusher.

Smart and tenacious player, though.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Yeah aside from being ahead of Dach and Cozens, i have no issues with Turcotte that high really. He's the total package.

But Knight in the top 10, as good as he may be, is no bueno.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

A goalie top 10?

Lol. No. Just no. edit: spoke too soon. A goalie in the top 10, ahead of Byram?

69ef1997192bba57072fafb62cd87317.gif

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Is it just me or does Pelletier have stone hands?
He doesn't have good hands. Frankly, his scoring output is just due to being fairly fast, having a great motor and offensive IQ. His hands are nothing to write home about, his shot is nothing special and he spends a lot of time chasing the puck and forechecking (which isn't a bad thing, but the fact that he's forechecking all the time and not on the offensive is a worry). He's more polished than most players and has plenty of skill, but I see him being more along the lines of a Byron (better brain, worse skating)-- same energetic play, not the most offensively talented player but can contribute, and great defense.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I sure as hell don't agree with some of those rankings. Krebs at 7 is awful, don't even think I'd take him top 20. Cozens is too low, as is Byram and Brink regardless of his production does not belong that high, just to name a few. Also never heard of Rhett Pitlick but I guess that's just another player to research. Oh and Knight at 10 is insane. Mark Edwards has always come across as a smart guy to me, so I try to give him the benefit of the doubt but this does not come across as a good ranking.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I sure as hell don't agree with some of those rankings. Krebs at 7 is awful, don't even think I'd take him top 20. Cozens is too low, as is Byram and Brink regardless of his production does not belong that high, just to name a few. Also never heard of Rhett Pitlick but I guess that's just another player to research. Oh and Knight at 10 is insane. Mark Edwards has always come across as a smart guy to me, so I try to give him the benefit of the doubt but this does not come across as a good ranking.

Yeah, nothing against Mark, I really enjoy the work he does, and the fact that he shows his face on this board to explain his rankings in a respectful manner.

But come on meng. A goalie? No.

Reactions: Habs76

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Yeah, nothing against Mark, I really enjoy the work he does, and the fact that he shows his face on this board to explain his rankings in a respectful manner.

But come on meng. A goalie? No.
I really like Knight. Every time I watch him I think, his game is flawless-- aside from the fact that he can get caught too far out of his net from time to time. That doesn't mean I'd ever take him over Byram or Newhook.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I really like Knight. Every time I watch him I think, his game is flawless-- aside from the fact that he can get caught too far out of his net from time to time. That doesn't mean I'd ever take him over Byram or Newhook.

I just see ''G'' and keep scrolling. Goaltenders are the ringos of all hockey teams.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I didn't realize that Boldy had also committed to BC next year. Him and Newhook on a line is an insane thought. Will also allow for some shallow, convenient comparisons.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Top prospects game has been solid

Kaliyev/Krebs/Robertson just a deadly line all game. I didn't realize that Robertson is 4 days away from next year's draft. Strangely undersized compared to his brother who is a big kid.

Cozens is snakebitten but was flying in the 1st half. He also dominated the on-ice testing yesterday, which is not surprising, as that is his game - just pure athletic ability. He strikes me as the kind of kid who could go pro in the sport of his choosing a la Kyler Murray.

Quiet night for Dach, although he has shown a lot defensively. Picked up a lucky assist on Pelletier's nifty goal.

Samuel Bolduc was a complete unknown to me who I thought made some nice plays at the beginning of the game. Has soft hands for a big guy. If any of you have watched him, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on his game.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
2019 7-Round Mock Draft 1.0

1. Chicago Blackhawks: Jack Hughes, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
2. New York Rangers: Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga)
3. Los Angeles Kings: Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
4. Detroit Red Wings: Bowen Byram, LHD, Vancouver (WHL)
5. Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa Senators via Colorado): Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge (WHL)
6. New Jersey Devils: Vasili Podkolzin, RW, St. Petersburg (MHL)
7. Colorado Avalanche (from Philadelphia Flyers): Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)
8. Florida Panthers: Alex Turcotte, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
9. Arizona Coyotes: Matthew Boldy, LW, USA NTDP (USHL)
10. St. Louis Blues: Philip Broberg, LHD, AIK (Allsvenskan)
11. Edmonton Oilers: Trevor Zegras, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Victor Soderstrom, RHD, Brynas (SuperElit)
13. Vancouver Canucks: Moritz Seider, RHD, Manheim (DEL)
14. Nashville Predators (from Anaheim Ducks): Artur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton (OHL)
15. Buffalo Sabres: Raphael Lavoie, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
16. Minnesota Wild: Connor McMichael, C, London (OHL)
17. Dallas Stars: Ryan Suzuki
18. Colorado Avalanche: Pavel Dorofeyev
19. Pittsburgh Penguins: Bobby Brink
20. Montreal Canadiens: Matthew Robertson

Sorry Newhook fans <3, Mrb1p might get him if he gets really lucky :D. Cozens @ 5 and Zegras @ 11 were nice picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs76 and Vachon23

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

5. Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa Senators via Colorado): Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge (WHL)
7. Colorado Avalanche (from Philadelphia Flyers): Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)

Sorry Newhook fans <3, Mrb1p might get him if he gets really lucky :D. Cozens @ 5 and Zegras @ 11 were nice picks.

I don't mind you passing on Newhook. I've sort of soured on him a bit recently. I'd be very happy to pick up Robertson, though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Robertson wouldve been my pick there too.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
About Newhook, is it clear to anyone here just what it is that he will do in the NHL on a shift to shift basis?

I mean, he's got a good package of skills but, when you watch him, do you see a guy who will one day pick apart NHL defences? Or burn them with his speed? I'm suspicious.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
About Newhook, is it clear to anyone here just what it is that he will do in the NHL on a shift to shift basis?

I mean, he's got a good package of skills but, when you watch him, do you see a guy who will one day pick apart NHL defences? Or burn them with his speed? I'm suspicious.

He's a player i have a hard time getting a read on because offensively he's very vanilla, nothing really stands out. That said, he's quite responsible defensively, i like his defensive reads/awareness/stickwork. So maybe he can carve out a niche for himself at the NHL level as a defensively responsible player, every team needs 1 of those.

How high is his upside tho, that's the question. How high can his offensive tools get him up the depth chart? I'd need to see him play way more before getting a clear picture of what he could become.. and even then i still might not have a clear idea (which is where i'd steer clear from picking him until he's a no brainer BPA).

Just haven't seen him play enough atm to form a proper opinion of him. He's definitely an interesting prospect tho, he's the type of player who could end up just floating around the NHL as a middle/bottom 6'er or he could become a very solid 2 way top 6 C. The scouts who can project what type of NHLer Newhook is likely the become are the ones who are really earning their paychecks. He's one of the hard prospects to get a read on unless you really do your homework on him and actually know what to look for.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotProkofievian

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see it with Spencer Knight and I truly feel he will be the next Jack Campbell and Zach Fucale level of goalies.

I'd much rather use one of our other picks to take Hlavaj

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
On Newhook, I think I can draw a parallel to Couturier a bit. Certainly had skills but he doesnt really use them in game. But still a capable player, like 1C level even. The question is fine, but you could also say, what cant he do as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad