2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Mmm, I don't know. Maybe. But I feel like you're more ****ed if you don't have a good 2nd line centerman than a top pairing LD.
That could be true. I also think it's easier to acquire a good 2nd line C than a good 1st pairing D.

Stepan, Schenn, Duchene, Turris, O'Reilly, Henrique, Brassard, Stastny and JT Miller are all pretty good 2nd line centres. They were all traded last season. Some higher end than others.

The only guy I'd say that is a true #1 LHD in a trade last season is McDonagh.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The fact we'll be picking outside of the top 10, in addition to the emergence of Romanov, has me less vocal for Byram, but man, the kid looks amazing. Dude is going to be a stud- Forget top pair, he looks like he'll be a high end #1.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
The fact we'll be picking outside of the top 10, in addition to the emergence of Romanov, has me less vocal for Byram, but man, the kid looks amazing. Dude is going to be a stud- Forget top pair, he looks like he'll be a high end #1.
Yeah. Earlier I was worried that he had all the tools, but lacked the willingness to take control of the game. Let's just say I don't have those concerns anymore.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

We still need Byram, I'd trade to get him in if possible, even at the cost of Petry & Tatar + our picks. We'll really miss the track if we can't build that defense up with the talent we need.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Where he'll go ? When you have the chance to land a top line C or a top line W that drives the play ? Nah.

Outside the top 10, sure.

While I agree a top end C is probably still more important for us. I don't see how this year's crop is so much more likely to be more valuable to us than Byram outside of Kakko and Hughes. He's easily number 3 in value to us in my book if he becomes a first pairing D. Now that we have Domi, we need to develop KK in a first line center and what will be missing is #1 D to replace Weber at some point.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While I agree a top end C is probably still more important for us. I don't see how this year's crop is so much more likely to be more valuable to us than Byram outside of Kakko and Hughes. He's easily number 3 in value to us in my book if he becomes a first pairing D. Now that we have Domi, we need to develop KK in a first line center and what will be missing is #1 D to replace Weber at some point.
I dont believe in Byrams upside as a 1D and I believe in a lot of players upside as impact forward in this draft. Anyhow, its much easier to get good Ds than good Cs, so no, Byram still stays low in the picking order, for me.

Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Dach, Zegras, Newhook, and even Boldy all seem like better value to this team that has lacked star power upfront since the 1970s. Kotkaniemi is nice and in probably his biggest fan on this board, but hes just not enough.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Whatever doubts I might have had about Byram's offense are pretty much gone, as far as I'm concerned at least : 16 goals in 43 games and a PPG production in his D year took care of that. BPA or not, I'm not all that sure he'll even get close to our spot. I'm basing most of my analysis on us picking 20th-ish now and Byram ain't in that picture.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Whatever doubts I might have had about Byram's offense are pretty much gone, as far as I'm concerned at least : 16 goals in 43 games and a PPG production in his D year took care of that. BPA or not, I'm not all that sure he'll even get close to our spot. I'm basing most of my analysis on us picking 20th-ish now and Byram ain't in that picture.
Well, even if the pick is in the teens he wont be there... theres just no point in debating that IMO.

TBH, Im absolutely fine with this as I think theres some really high upside players going in the teens and that has me hyped. The possibility of a Chytil/Thomas kind of player is real.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Well, even if the pick is in the teens he wont be there... theres just no point in debating that IMO.

TBH, Im absolutely fine with this as I think theres some really high upside players going in the teens and that has me hyped. The possibility of a Chytil/Thomas kind of player is real.

I think we really need to stay out of the playoffs this year if we want this kind of a haul with our first. Doesn't have to be a top pick but we might be able to pick up a faller like NYI did last year, or profit from the ''other teams had one guy ahead'' effect. Might be able to snag Zegras or Newhook.

I'm not yet sold on Podkolzin.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think we really need to stay out of the playoffs this year if we want this kind of a haul with our first. Doesn't have to be a top pick but we might be able to pick up a faller like NYI did last year, or profit from the ''other teams had one guy ahead'' effect. Might be able to snag Zegras or Newhook.

I'm not yet sold on Podkolzin.
How are you not sold on Podkolzin ? Kids a beaut.

But I think we can probably snag a great prospect in the 15ish range, a guy like Smith last year, went there too. Exciting times.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would be rather satisfied to grab Bjornfot with one of our seconds. It looks like he's kinda been dropping for the last little while and it's likely due to his upside as an offensive guy not being tremendously high. But he's still an effective all situations defender. Look at a guy like Jared McIsaac as a comparable. Especially with our need at LD.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I would be rather satisfied to grab Bjornfot with one of our seconds. It looks like he's kinda been dropping for the last little while and it's likely due to his upside as an offensive guy not being tremendously high. But he's still an effective all situations defender. Look at a guy like Jared McIsaac as a comparable. Especially with our need at LD.
I think Bjornfoot is much, much smarter than McIsaac personally. I agree that he could be a good pick. Still have to look at those other rounds to not miss out on anyone like last year. Not having Romanov anywhere near my top 100 is shameful.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How are you not sold on Podkolzin ? Kids a beaut.

But I think we can probably snag a great prospect in the 15ish range, a guy like Smith last year, went there too. Exciting times.

So, he's seriously talented compared to his peers which is basically obvious from his ''walking through the entire team'' goals. But then, where's the production? I get it, maybe he's buried in an enormous MHL roster with 21 year olds on it, and the VHL is a tough league, but...

Earlier in the season we were saying ''wow, that Podkolzin goal was amazing, but I'd like to see him against stiffer resistance,'' and we've seen that and it wasn't bad, but it didn't make me a believer either. Then apparently he gets paired with Morozov and Marchenko and his production goes up again? I dunno, it's not really my jam.

Reactions: Mrb1p

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Podkolzin’s harder to project accurately. Not to mention there's a pretty real chance you won’t see him come over until 3-4 years later. So it depends whether you’re okay with taking that kind of gamble, knowing those things. I think a top 7-ish spot is not unwarranted given what he’s shown but I can see where some might be reluctant, specially given the number of quality forwards at the top.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Podkolzin just isn't all that polished right now, which was fairly obvious at the WJC ( even with his very limited minutes) . His individual tools are really appealing though, plus he's got an intriguing two way game to complement his flashier skills.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Podkolzin’s harder to project accurately. Not to mention there's a pretty real chance you won’t see him come over until 3-4 years later. So it depends whether you’re okay with taking that kind of gamble, knowing those things. I think a top 7-ish spot is not unwarranted given what he’s shown but I can see where some might be reluctant, specially given the number of quality forwards at the top.
same was said for Kotka...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Perceived lack of NHL readiness should not detract teams to draft players who possess elite offensive skills like Kotkaniemi. And for all we know they may be NHL ready right off the bat like KK was as a C.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If Im not wrong, Podkolzin said he wanted to develop in the KHL, what might him drop a bit...

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I agree. I'm kind of glad he's dropping. We might get him with our 1st second rounder. He's been under the spotlight for so long other shiny, new players are getting projected ahead of him. Still a quality prospect and a complete defender. Could be a Niskanen type D in the future.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Byram is a pipe dream at this point. We'd have to miss the playoffs and then win one of the lottery positions from the 11-15 spot in order to draft him. Odds are crazy low.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Perceived lack of NHL readiness should not detract teams to draft players who possess elite offensive skills like Kotkaniemi. And for all we know they may be NHL ready right off the bat like KK was as a C.
Yeah when I said it might take 3 to 4 years to see him, I meant it's been reported he's considering staying in the KHL for the next few years. Not necessarily that he wouldn't be ready in that time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad