2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He's a player i have a hard time getting a read on because offensively he's very vanilla, nothing really stands out. That said, he's quite responsible defensively, i like his defensive reads/awareness/stickwork. So maybe he can carve out a niche for himself at the NHL level as a defensively responsible player, every team needs 1 of those.

How high is his upside tho, that's the question. How high can his offensive tools get him up the depth chart? I'd need to see him play way more before getting a clear picture of what he could become.. and even then i still might not have a clear idea (which is where i'd steer clear from picking him until he's a no brainer BPA).

Just haven't seen him play enough atm to form a proper opinion of him. He's definitely an interesting prospect tho, he's the type of player who could end up just floating around the NHL as a middle/bottom 6'er or he could become a very solid 2 way top 6 C. The scouts who can project what type of NHLer Newhook is likely the become are the ones who are really earning their paychecks. He's one of the hard prospects to get a read on unless you really do your homework on him and actually know what to look for.

Last year I felt certain that he'd be a top 5 talent. This year, though, I have been underwhelmed. However, similarly to you, I need to see him a lot more to make my definitive call about him. I've seen him play 3 games so far so this is not enough. I'll purchase my annual one month of hockeytv before I slot him anywhere.

At the NHL level I think he needs to be a centerman. I don't think he can be an effective offensive winger. Between the two of them, so far, I have preferred McMichael.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He looked okay last night but that's a guy I wait until the very last of the draft to take. You're looking at him being late 20s before he's even semi competent, if ever.
I'd be fine with him after the 3rd round. He's a project for sure, but 6'7 with the tools he has and absolutely no power in his legs is a good gamble, and I'm 100% positive he goes in the 3rd, or earlier.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Last year I felt certain that he'd be a top 5 talent. This year, though, I have been underwhelmed. However, similarly to you, I need to see him a lot more to make my definitive call about him. I've seen him play 3 games so far so this is not enough. I'll purchase my annual one month of hockeytv before I slot him anywhere.

At the NHL level I think he needs to be a centerman. I don't think he can be an effective offensive winger. Between the two of them, so far, I have preferred McMichael.
McMichael is 100% ahead of him, IMO. I still have Newhook over Krebs, Suzuki, Broberg and co.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
To contrast with Newhook, consider Nicholas Robertson. It's basically obvious what this kid will be doing in the NHL if he ever makes it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To contrast with Newhook, consider Nicholas Robertson. It's basically obvious what this kid will be doing in the NHL if he ever makes it.
Get pushed around because he's a midget ?
:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, Nick is a good gamble, imo. Two brothers with big bodies, he's still essentialy one year away from a real draft age and he has skills for days. I'm warming up to him in the teens.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Get pushed around because he's a midget ?
:sarcasm:

You done f***ed up now.

@417

In all seriousness, Nick is a good gamble, imo. Two brothers with big bodies, he's still essentialy one year away from a real draft age and he has skills for days. I'm warming up to him in the teens.

Me too. I've been pretty negative about this draft recently but Robertson is one of the few really interesting prospects. Extremely skilled, extreme late birthday. That's my jam.

Reactions: 417

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Me too. I've been pretty negative about this draft recently but Robertson is one of the few really interesting prospects. Extremely skilled, extreme late birthday. That's my jam.
He really is tiny though, like, 160 pounds might actually be pushing it if you've seen him live some. That said, he's super elusive and crafty so he rarely gets in a position where strength is an issue. Solid hands too. His brother has a good frame and Nick is barely 17 so he still might get a growth spur I guess. If he's there in the second round you take him and run away like a bandit.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd be fine with him after the 3rd round. He's a project for sure, but 6'7 with the tools he has and absolutely no power in his legs is a good gamble, and I'm 100% positive he goes in the 3rd, or earlier.

I wouldn't pay above a 5th for him. You're looking at far too many things to go right. Goalies already take a long time to develop, then you add the fact that he's 6'7, which means his development likely takes even longer. It's a long way to go to see a return that you might not get.

If we are talking about smaller guys .. I've always liked Sasha Mutala. He's not a first rounder by any means but I love his game.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He really is tiny though, like, 160 pounds might actually be pushing it if you've seen him live some. That said, he's super elusive and crafty so he rarely gets in a position where strength is an issue. Solid hands too. His brother has a good frame and Nick is barely 17 so he still might get a growth spur I guess. If he's there in the second round you take him and run away like a bandit.

And he's extremely quick. For example, consider that backhand goal against Canada in the Hlinka. There was nothing special there except his acceleration and reaction time. He had no business getting to that puck first. There's room for small players like that. Small players who are quick enough to create separation for themselves, and have the tools to punish the opponent.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And he's extremely quick. For example, consider that backhand goal against Canada in the Hlinka. There was nothing special there except his acceleration and reaction time. He had no business getting to that puck first. There's room for small players like that. Small players who are quick enough to create separation for themselves, and have the tools to punish the opponent.
Mostly what I want to see from smaller players is active skating. Robertson has that, at least, when I seen him.

Something Suzuki doesnt do at all.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Mostly what I want to see from smaller players is active skating. Robertson has that, at least, when I seen him.

Something Suzuki doesnt do at all.

Yeah, but he needs to have a reason to be in the lineup over someone else. Ultimately, for forwards, that reason is scoring goals. If a player can't punish an opponent for a mistake they can skate as fast as they like. This is what found Paul Byron on the waiver wire until he learned to convert breakaways at an acceptable rate.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I personally am fully aboard the Newhook hype train and will happily die on his hill. Watching him live at this level has been a treat

I wouldn't pay above a 5th for him. You're looking at far too many things to go right. Goalies already take a long time to develop, then you add the fact that he's 6'7, which means his development likely takes even longer. It's a long way to go to see a return that you might not get.

If we are talking about smaller guys .. I've always liked Sasha Mutala. He's not a first rounder by any means but I love his game.

Mutala is ~6'2, 200 and was always one of the biggest kids in his age group growing up. I am a fan of his too. Two higher upside players in Tracey and Newkirk are ranked in a similar range though.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I personally am fully aboard the Newhook hype train and will happily die on his hill. Watching him live at this level has been a treat

Mutala is ~6'2, 200 and was always one of the biggest kids in his age group growing up. I am a fan of his too. Two higher upside players in Tracey and Newkirk are ranked in a similar range though.

Man who am I thinking of then. I know I liked Mutalas game. But there was another kid on that u18 team that was small and fiesty with skill.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The way he's been playing in Frolunda this year, he may very well go in the second round. There's nothing really wrong with his game.

Yeah things just really didn't ''click'' for him last year. I watched him in his few SHL games and his skill was immediately apparent. But he had a weak U18, his J20 numbers were good, but not great. But come on, he wasn't worth a 7th? GTFO.

This is the NHL: Matthew Strome was drafted in the 4th.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
2019 7-Round Mock Draft 1.0

1. Chicago Blackhawks: Jack Hughes, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
2. New York Rangers: Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga)
3. Los Angeles Kings: Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
4. Detroit Red Wings: Bowen Byram, LHD, Vancouver (WHL)
5. Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa Senators via Colorado): Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge (WHL)
6. New Jersey Devils: Vasili Podkolzin, RW, St. Petersburg (MHL)
7. Colorado Avalanche (from Philadelphia Flyers): Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)
8. Florida Panthers: Alex Turcotte, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
9. Arizona Coyotes: Matthew Boldy, LW, USA NTDP (USHL)
10. St. Louis Blues: Philip Broberg, LHD, AIK (Allsvenskan)
11. Edmonton Oilers: Trevor Zegras, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Victor Soderstrom, RHD, Brynas (SuperElit)
13. Vancouver Canucks: Moritz Seider, RHD, Manheim (DEL)
14. Nashville Predators (from Anaheim Ducks): Artur Kaliyev, RW, Hamilton (OHL)
15. Buffalo Sabres: Raphael Lavoie, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
16. Minnesota Wild: Connor McMichael, C, London (OHL)
17. Dallas Stars: Ryan Suzuki
18. Colorado Avalanche: Pavel Dorofeyev
19. Pittsburgh Penguins: Bobby Brink
20. Montreal Canadiens: Matthew Robertson

Sorry Newhook fans <3, Mrb1p might get him if he gets really lucky :D. Cozens @ 5 and Zegras @ 11 were nice picks.
Podkolzin @ 6 tho ;)

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
**** Heinola #24 on Bob's list :[, was hoping he'd fly under the radar a bit more.
Kinda hard with all the minutes he was logging. Dunno how long the injury's supposed to be, maybe that pushes him down to the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad