2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Creaming those pants so soon ?
Never said he wouldnt be able to do it, a player like that will do whatever he wants, same goes for Hughes. I question the value of the move, for me it doesnt drive his value up or down, same for Hughes at C or at wing or Berggren at C or W.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I've bashed a bit Byram last week but he responded very well lately. I think if he continue like last week he will be in consideration for top 3.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This after everyone was talking smack lol
Well at that age the difference between prospects are not significant unless you are a generational talent. Byram while having all the tools was struggling offensively early on. It is quite obvious that we will start questioning his offensive potential at the next level. There have been many defenseman lately that i've seen labelled as can't miss not develop as expected. I mean look at recent top drafted defensemen: Olli Juolevi, Ryan Murray, Haydn Fleury, Adam Larsson many were labelled potential top pair defenseman. They were clearly above their peers in junior but they were never able (although Juolevi is too young to write off) to replicate their play in the pro.

Back to Byram I expect him in the best case scenario to be a 30 minutes all around defenseman in the mold of McDonagh/Suter. Not flashy but very effective and those type of defenseman are highly valuable.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Byram outplayed Ty Smith at the u-18 when they were paired together and showed more offensively. I don't know where these questions about his offensive game are coming from but he stepped it up during last seasons playoffs, had a respectable offensive output as a 16 year old in the WHL and showed his offensive poise at the u-18 despite not putting up many points.

There is nothing wrong with grabbing a minute eating, all situation D-man that will be able to dictate the pace from the blue line. We don't necessarily need the big offensive D-man.

Reactions: Vachon23

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Byram outplayed Ty Smith at the u-18 when they were paired together and showed more offensively. I don't know where these questions about his offensive game are coming from but he stepped it up during last seasons playoffs, had a respectable offensive output as a 16 year old in the WHL and showed his offensive poise at the u-18 despite not putting up many points.

There is nothing wrong with grabbing a minute eating, all situation D-man that will be able to dictate the pace from the blue line. We don't necessarily need the big offensive D-man.

Thats mostly the problem. At that point there's just too much on the board to grab a Byram type.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Thats mostly the problem. At that point there's just too much on the board to grab a Byram type.
Depends at what point you're talking about.

Obviously Kakko and Hughes are ahead. I think I would have him rounding out the top 5 so far with Cozens and Dach.

Even if your worst case scenario is a Ryan Murray type, he's sometimes played 25 minutes a night in all situations. Top D-men are extremely important.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Depends at what point you're talking about.

Obviously Kakko and Hughes are ahead. I think I would have him rounding out the top 5 so far with Cozens and Dach.

Even if your worst case scenario is a Ryan Murray type, he's sometimes played 25 minutes a night in all situations. Top D-men are extremely important.

Especially us ! We don't have a top 2 defenseman in our propsect pool and we miss a 1st LD in the big club ... Byram is what miss to this club

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
And all of those were ahead of Byram offensively.
Chabot was definitely not. Comparing Byram to Chabot, who was at no point a top 10 pick is very much a reach. Sergachev and Provorov probably were but it's hard to compare WHL with non CHL draft -1 years. Sergachev had question marks that Byram doesnt have. Provorov was as well rounded a prospect as Byram is and went at #7 in a good draft. Would anyone bat an eye if in a re-draft Provorov went top 5? I don't think so.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Chabot was definitely not. Comparing Byram to Chabot, who was at no point a top 10 pick is very much a reach. Sergachev and Provorov probably were but it's hard to compare WHL with non CHL draft -1 years. Sergachev had question marks that Byram doesnt have. Provorov was as well rounded a prospect as Byram is and went at #7 in a good draft. Would anyone bat an eye if in a re-draft Provorov went top 5? I don't think so.
But Byram has question marks that Sergachev doesn't have. IE, can he produce numbers ? Which is probably the biggest question mark you can have.
I must also say that at the same age Chychrun looked better.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
But Byram has question marks that Sergachev doesn't have. IE, can he produce numbers ? Which is probably the biggest question mark you can have.
I must also say that at the same age Chychrun looked better.
I forgot about Chychrun. He was just over scouted the same way Veleno was and kind of died down on everyone.

I would personally rather a Byram type that I know will at least put up decent numbers on the back end while being an all situation D-man to a Sergachev that probably will never be a true all around guy but will put up bigger numbers.

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad