2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But... What if talks of moving Kakko down the middle are true ?

Tbh all that shifting to C talk doesn't change anything. Theres no need to reinvent the wheel when your winger is as good as Kakko.

I don't trust it, I don't think it's necessary. You know, the ol' sayin about fixing what ain't broken ? Actually not even close to being broken and actually is working perfectly ?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Tbh all that shifting to C talk doesn't change anything. Theres no need to reinvent the wheel when your winger is as good as Kakko.

I don't trust it, I don't think it's necessary. You know, the ol' sayin about fixing what ain't broken ? Actually not even close to being broken and actually is working perfectly ?

Yet... You'd cream your pants if he did make the switch. We all would.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Obviously, if it works I would, but why doe ?

Indeed why ? It would be the same mistake they did with Kuznetsov and Giroux.

The answer is translatable skills. It always is. It's the most important position and if a guy can show you he can play center, you move him. The finnish NT coach thinks so, so maybe we see him there in some tourneys.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Indeed why ? It would be the same mistake they did with Kuznetsov and Giroux.

The answer is translatable skills. It always is. It's the most important position and if a guy can show you he can play center, you move him. The finnish NT coach thinks so, so maybe we see him there in some tourneys.
But Giroux can have a better season on the wing than at C.You could also fall on Patrick Kane and all the switch does is make him look bad.

Im not even saying it shouldn't be done, or that it's not an option. Im just questioning the move, I think we got lost somewhere in our player evaluation, clinging too hard to the C thing. (And TBH, Ive been super hard on this in the last few years, so it's kind of backwards from what I actually think.)

Is the W always better as a C if he has the ability to play there ? I think it's a case by case, and in this case, I don't know, how much of an impact can it really have over a teams overall performance if Kakko is at C or at W, personally, I don't see much differences.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
But Giroux can have a better season on the wing than at C.You could also fall on Patrick Kane and all the switch does is make him look bad.

Im not even saying it shouldn't be done, or that it's not an option. Im just questioning the move, I think we got lost somewhere in our player evaluation, clinging too hard to the C thing. (And TBH, Ive been super hard on this in the last few years, so it's kind of backwards from what I actually think.)

Is the W always better as a C if he has the ability to play there ? I think it's a case by case, and in this case, I don't know, how much of an impact can it really have over a teams overall performance if Kakko is at C or at W, personally, I don't see much differences.

I don't think Kane had the game for the position. The logic behind the move was to help him improve his all around game, a bit like the Drouin switch post-draft.

I wouldn't encourage the switch for any player. Just some specific cases like Kakko where even as a winger he's always the f1. It goes without saying that playing center affords you more ice to cover and a bigger potential impact on the game. Hence the switch if the switch is possible. I wouldn't call it a focus of the last few years, it's historically always been a focus. If anything, having f1,f2,f3 systems puts less focus on the position by having all the players learn the responsibilities of the position.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think Kane had the game for the position. The logic behind the move was to help him improve his all around game, a bit like the Drouin switch post-draft.

I wouldn't encourage the switch for any player. Just some specific cases like Kakko where even as a winger he's always the f1. It goes without saying that playing center affords you more ice to cover and a bigger potential impact on the game. Hence the switch if the switch is possible. I wouldn't call it a focus of the last few years, it's historically always been a focus. If anything, having f1,f2,f3 systems puts less focus on the position by having all the players learn the responsibilities of the position.
This is exactly what I'm saying, Kakko is going to be Kakko no matter where he plays, it's not an impactful move to me, unless obviously the roster calls for it, like in Giroux's case, Aho's case, or in Kanes case in 2014 (Failed experiment.)

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
All of those mid round picks are up to good starts so at least we might not get burned too bad there. Ironically, Hillis and McShane are the ones that are having a false start .
I personally had Fonstad higher than both McShane and Hillis but I can't be mad at those picks since they were also ranked higher than we got them. Hopefully they do pick up though.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What does Hughes have to do to move over Kakko for 1st overall ?

I'm serious. I've been more impressed with Kakko this year. I don't see Hughes as the clear cut no.1

I feel a little like you as well in regards to Kakko this year, but I still think Hughes is a lock at #1 unless Kakko goes on some crazy tear and Hughes goes 0.5PPG.

Here’s my hot take... I think Hughes is the better player but Kakko for the Habs is the better pick.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Gotdamn, Gunler at 2ppg in SuperElit.

These next two drafts are stacked.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don’t think we’ll be picking top 10.
7KuMi9a.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79 and Mrb1p

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh I don't think it WILL, I'm just saying that people might want to look a little past Hughes and Kakko. Those who aren't prospect savvy at least.

Yeah, well I would look passed them too because it requires a lottery win. This draft is great, being in the top ten guarantees you a great player.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think our best hope would be to pull a Philly and win the lottery and jump up from the late lottery into the top 3

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think the depth is good. That being said we need another draft with many picks.

We have more chances to hit a homerun if we get more try.

Reactions: Andrei79

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You don’t think this team looks different than last years debacle? Not saying I think we’re contenders or anything, but we def aren’t bottom 5 and I don’t think we’re bottom 10 either.
Somewhat yeah, mostly in transition but it's early.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Somewhat yeah, mostly in transition but it's early.
To me, I see a team with an identity now, fast and scrappy. We obviously need to keep supplementing in talent, but I like what I'm seeing. Best case scenario is we keep this up and get lucky in the lottery.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
To me, I see a team with an identity now, fast and scrappy. We obviously need to keep supplementing in talent, but I like what I'm seeing. Best case scenario is we keep this up and get lucky in the lottery.
Last year after that stretch I mentioned, people also thought we looked better and were talking about competing. I see a team that's still very thin up front and possibly over-achieving against some very porous defences for now. They're more fun to watch, I'll admit. Will it last though?

Reactions: Mrb1p

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Last year after that stretch I mentioned, people also thought we looked better and were talking about competing. I see a team that's still very thin up front and possibly over-achieving against some very porous defences for now. They're more fun to watch, I'll admit. Will it last though?
I think it’s sustainable. I think a lot of it comes down to whether you believe in Tatar and Domi. It’s those 2 players who have solidified our top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->