2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This draft is sooo freaking stacked at forward. Jeeeez louise.

Kaliyev doesnt slow down.
Connor McMichael looking like a guy Id sell my nuts for.
Ryan Suzuki is an afterthought in this draft and hes putting up top 5 numbers.

GET EXCITED f***ERS.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

GET EXCITED ****ERS.
Not a fan of Kaliyev from what I've read

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

GET EXCITED ****ERS.
If we select Kaliyev with our 1st pick I would go on suicide watch.

This guy is a longshot to make it with his skating and commitment.

I guess maturity and skating can be improved but to me he looks like a future AHLer.

The top 5 is amazing though: Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin

Kaliyev has serious concerns about his skating and more importantly his commitment. He looks like physical force out there against junior players but his game will not transfer well against faster and stronger players. I don't see any galchenyuk on him other than both playing in the OHL and being russian/american prospect. At the same age Galchenyuk was a faster and way more commited defensively than Kaliyev. That being said Kaliyev shot is elite and way better than Galchenyuk. I think Kaliyev is a bad fit for montreal and as far as comparable I think Robertson is a way better player. I got burn last year with Wahlstrom (who I still think is a better talent than Kaliyev) and I think Kaliyev has even more issues to fix.

Last edited:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't want any slug prospects with our 1st. If Kaliyev is a poor skater even at the OHL level forget it. Kotkaniemi already needs a lot of work in that regard. Neither Suzuki or Poehling are particularly fast so I'd sooner inject some speed with this pick.

I'm feeling better about our chances at a top 10 pick now. The way the draft looks I'm of the mind to grab another forward in the 1st then take mostly D with the rest of the picks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't want any slug prospects with our 1st. If Kaliyev is a poor skater even at the OHL level forget it. Kotkaniemi already needs a lot of work in that regard. Neither Suzuki or Poehling are particularly fast so I'd sooner inject some speed with this pick.

I'm feeling better about our chances at a top 10 pick now. The way the draft looks I'm of the mind to grab another forward in the 1st then take mostly D with the rest of the picks.

Poehling is most certainly fast, it's one of his best assets. He's no Byron but he's fast.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think Kaliyev is a good prospect, a top-20 in my books but he isn't a particularly good 200-foot player. I also don't find him that physical either given his size. I actually don't think his skating is bad, and he has good speed, but he isn't going to dangle NHL defencemen.

He would fill a need, which is goal scoring as his ability is elite, but he would be a terrible fit with our team given how we want players to play. If guys like Galchenyuk was in the dog house these last couple years, Kaliyev would be there immediately if we drafted him.

I wouldn't hate the pick depending where we are, but there are other players I have ahead of him in his probable range.

He is killing it in the O though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If we select Kaliyev with our 1st pick I would go on suicide watch.

This guy is a longshot to make it with his skating and commitment.

I guess maturity and skating can be improved but to me he looks like a future AHLer.

The top 5 is amazing though: Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin

Kaliyev has serious concerns about his skating and more importantly his commitment. He looks like physical force out there against junior players but his game will not transfer well against faster and stronger players. I don't see any galchenyuk on him other than both playing in the OHL and being russian/american prospect. At the same age Galchenyuk was a faster and way more commited defensively than Kaliyev. That being said Kaliyev shot is elite and way better than Galchenyuk. I think Kaliyev is a bad fit for montreal and as far as comparable I think Robertson is a way better player. I got burn last year with Wahlstrom (who I still think is a better talent than Kaliyev) and I think Kaliyev has even more issues to fix.
Kaliyev has bad skating ? I don't see it at all. He's not elite for sure, but he's still a skater. He can score goals any way you want and he can pass it too, he's probably the fourth or fifth best offensive player in the draft. Obviously if we land top 5 ish I don't want Kaliyev, I want Cozens, Kakko, Dach, Hughes, etc. But outside the top 10 ? Damn I'm taking a flyer on that toolbox of his. He's exactly what the Habs need.

Dream scenario for me right now is Hughes/Kakko and Kaliyev or if we don't get the top 2 Dach/Cozens/ Podk/Turcotte and Suzuki/Turcotte/Zegras/Boldy/Kaliyev.

f*** a Dman. Gimme all the forwards.

I so hope Petry is sold for a first round... Jeeeez. Tatar too, thats the draft to do it.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Kaliyev has bad skating ? I don't see it at all. He's not elite for sure, but he's still a skater. He can score goals any way you want and he can pass it too, he's probably the fourth or fifth best offensive player in the draft. Obviously if we land top 5 ish I don't want Kaliyev, I want Cozens, Kakko, Dach, Hughes, etc. But outside the top 10 ? Damn I'm taking a flyer on that toolbox of his. He's exactly what the Habs need.

Dream scenario for me right now is Hughes/Kakko and Kaliyev or if we don't get the top 2 Dach/Cozens/ Podk/Turcotte and Suzuki/Turcotte/Zegras/Boldy/Kaliyev.

**** a Dman. Gimme all the forwards.

I so hope Petry is sold for a first round... Jeeeez. Tatar too, thats the draft to do it.

I’d be fine with Kaliyev if your scenario pans out where we get one of the stud forwards in the top-5. However, I’d really like to pick up one of Suzuki/Turcotte/Newhook/Zegras/Boldy/Caufield if we have a later pick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’d be fine with Kaliyev if your scenario pans out where we get one of the stud forwards in the top-5. However, I’d really like to pick up one of Suzuki/Turcotte/Newhook/Zegras/Boldy/Caufield if we have a later pick.
This forward group is so damn good I'm drooling.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Anyone know much about Ben Brinkman?

the only thing I know is he pulled a Poehling and graduated a year early to play in the NCAA. Both played for top programs in the Minnesota USHS, Brinkman at one of the best in Edina as that's where Anders Lee among others played. Poehling was 3 months younger. I see that Brikman put up 61 pts in his Sophmore/Junior years in 50 games, that's impressive. One example would be McDonagh was very good in the USHS and he put up 70 pts in 59 games in his Sophmore/Junior years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
the only thing I know is he pulled a Poehling and graduated a year early to play in the NCAA. Both played for top programs in the Minnesota USHS, Brinkman at one of the best in Edina as that's where Anders Lee among others played. Poehling was 3 months younger. I see that Brikman put up 61 pts in his Sophmore/Junior years in 50 games, that's impressive. One example would be McDonagh was very good in the USHS and he put up 70 pts in 59 games in his Sophmore/Junior years.
He seems like a good gamble with our 2nd

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He seems like a good gamble with our 2nd
I doubt he'll be available. He's producing well as the youngest player in the league and on a pretty bad team, too. He's got good tools overall.

He's a top 10 D in the whole draft, and some teams are going to get needy with a D.

Anyway, he's not really someone Id draft ahead of most of the offensive talent that is going to be available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad