2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
What are the chances Podz slips, let's say outside the top 10 ? He's a seriously dynamic player i'd like the habs to draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Lavoie slips outside of the top 10. I'm a big fan of Lavoie but I'd like to see him improve on his skating. His power forward and goal scoring ability is actually really good.

Curious.. do people feel the same towards Lavoie as they did with Tkachuk last year? How happy or disappointed if we end up drafting Lavoie at lets say 10-15 range?

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think Lavoie slips outside of the top 10. I'm a big fan of Lavoie but I'd like to see him improve on his skating. His power forward and goal scoring ability is actually really good.
I watch him as I live in Halifax and I don't like how he looks live tbh just doesn't impress me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lavoie is so meh... id be fine with his type in the late 1st but theres just a lot more players Id rather have. Hes about 20th down on my list and hes gonna go earlier than that, hes out of the equation for me

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I watch him as I live in Halifax and I don't like how he looks live tbh just doesn't impress me.

Mooseheads are a small team and a small team needs to be fast which we are not. I expect Cam makes several moves and it starts with the 20 year olds. Aside from Asselin, Maher and Ryczek have been disappointing.

I have season tickets. The only issue I have with Lavoie is the skating. He is an average skater in the Q which is not saying much. However, his goal scoring ability and playing a power forward game is valuable. Lets see if he makes team Canada and how he looks against the best 17, 18, 19 year olds in the world. That is the true test and we can evaluate his skating then. Hard to say if he makes it or not though.

Something worth noting is he scored 5 goals in 5 U18 games.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mooseheads are a small team and a small team needs to be fast which we are not. I expect Cam makes several moves and it starts with the 20 year olds. Aside from Asselin, Maher and Ryczek have been disappointing.

I have season tickets. The only issue I have with Lavoie is the skating. He is an average skater in the Q which is not saying much. However, his goal scoring ability and playing a power forward game is valuable. Lets see if he makes team Canada and how he looks against the best 17, 18, 19 year olds in the world. That is the true test and we can evaluate his skating then. Hard to say if he makes it or not though.

Something worth noting is he scored 5 goals in 5 U18 games.
Fair enough has Canada released it's preliminary roster yet is he on it?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Tkachuk definitely has more elements to his game than Lavoie does..

But yeah some similar things as far as we aren't at the stage where we draft complimentary. Lavoie is more comparable to the feelings on Zadina.

Podkolzin and Kaako are the only two wingers I consider if we are near the top ten.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

But yeah some similar things as far as we aren't at the stage where we draft complimentary. Lavoie is more comparable to the feelings on Zadina.

Podkolzin and Kaako are the only two wingers I consider if we are near the top ten.

Thoughts on Boldy? If were in the 9-15 range I'd love to pluck this big kid and have him ride shotgun with Kotkaniemi going forward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thoughts on Boldy? If were in the 9-15 range I'd love to pluck this big kid and have him ride shotgun with Kotkaniemi going forward.

Boldy, Lavoie, Kaliyev, Byram, and Broberg would be my targets in the 10-15 range. Hard to say at this point who slips and what the teams under us target.

Boldy does seem to be a great fit with Kotkaniemi IMO. Seems like this kid has all 3... Size/Skill/Skating for a winger. Now sure if he is the power forward type. Listed as 6'-1", 187 lbs

Drouin / Domi / Gallagher
Boldy / Kotkaniemi / Suzuki
Danault / Poehling / Lehkonen
Byron or Tatar / Evans / Armia
Olofsson, etc

But the holes on LD are an issue. If the plan is to keep both Byron and Tatar, maybe LD is the smarter target. But the hole draft best player available plays a factor

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I do think there are similar things to consider with Lavoie vs Tkachuk. Tkachuk didn't have a impressive NCAA year but he did look very good in the World Juniors. Lavoie also is not having the year I thought he would have this year in the Q but he did do well in the U18's and I just wonder if he makes the U20 team. If he does, very much curious to see his game against the best in the world his own age.

If we had a later top 10 pick (lets say 8-12 range), would you consider taking one of Boldy, Lavoie, or Kaliyev? Or would you rather go after one of Byram or Broberg?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Boldy's a darkhorse for the top 10. Podzy's flashier but he's just as effective. High IQ and shot in a big frame would be a perfect complement to Jeppu.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Surprised that Kaliyev didn't get invited to USA's camp as his numbers are impressive this year.

Only turns 18 on June of 2019. I suspect that played a factor and they can only have so much 17 year olds. Still, you'd think they give him some experience and what he needs to work at to make the team next year

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Only turns 18 on June of 2019. I suspect that played a factor and they can only have so much 17 year olds. Still, you'd think they give him some experience and what he needs to work at to make the team next year

figured he would at least get an invite to camp, I know USA tends to favor the USNDTP players over CHLers but only 5 players in the OHL have more goals and they are all '98's except one '99 born.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Anyone high on Trevor Zegras? To me, if we finish between 8-15, I'd be all for him. He can play center or wing; is on pace with Hughes for points and is extremely skilled. Plus the Habs love their American developmental system players. I think he's going to rise into the top 6, though, if his play can keep up.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
No love for Brett Leason? He seems to tick all the boxes for us.

I would be very interested to see him at the WJC.

Could he becomes the new Mark Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad