2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What about Thomas Harley?
I like him, too. I don't know who I'd rank ahead.

I'm a sucker for the younger player in the draft, and at face value, he looks good. Harley does seem to get a lot of ice-time and he gets to play with Tippett and McLoed on the PP, which may or may not (Haven't looked at his numbers.) his point totals... I think he may not be the offensive contributor Thompson is. However, he's fantastic defensively, when asked to play defense, he has that Subban ability to just turn it up a notch and dominate people in his zone.

I've seen him once this year, and a few times in the PO last year, where he was great, but I'm not sure I'd spend anything more than a 20-30 pick on him.

Overall, I'm not sure if I prefer Constantinou or Brewer to him.... I'll have to look into it more.

Edit: just checked, and he has 10 points on the PP this year, 6 primary points... Doesn't seem so bad overall.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We’d be a bit top heavy but I’d be down for that.
That’s where you play to your advantage and trade an area where you have a big surplus to fill holes elsewhere.

If we keep sliding we may be looking at lucking our way into the top-5 anyways at this point.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I wouldn't, team was barely holding its head above water in that first stretch and the Met is slowly getting their legs back.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
I like him, too. I don't know who I'd rank ahead.

I'm a sucker for the younger player in the draft, and at face value, he looks good. Harley does seem to get a lot of ice-time and he gets to play with Tippett and McLoed on the PP, which may or may not (Haven't looked at his numbers.) his point totals... I think he may not be the offensive contributor Thompson is. However, he's fantastic defensively, when asked to play defense, he has that Subban ability to just turn it up a notch and dominate people in his zone.

I've seen him once this year, and a few times in the PO last year, where he was great, but I'm not sure I'd spend anything more than a 20-30 pick on him.

Overall, I'm not sure if I prefer Constantinou or Brewer to him.... I'll have to look into it more.

Edit: just checked, and he has 10 points on the PP this year, 6 primary points... Doesn't seem so bad overall.
I'm terrible at player comparisons, but after watching the televised game this weekend Harley reminded me of a young Big Bird - especially in his ability to change the tempo of the game when he has possession of the puck

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm terrible at player comparisons, but after watching the televised game this weekend Harley reminded me of a young Big Bird - especially in his ability to change the tempo of the game when he has possession of the puck
Yeah lets relax on that one :laugh:

Id say hes a bit like Juulsen, with a bit less mobility.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wouldn't, team was barely holding its head above water in that first stretch and the Met is slowly getting their legs back.

I've been looking and really outside of St Louis and LA, we are close to the bottom and you've gotta think that St Louis and LA aren't as bad as they are right now. I'd expect them to rise and few others to fall back. We will see.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

And we've played a lot of games, so we're not actually clear of about 4 teams that are behind us in the standings. Our nose is slightly above water right now, but the water is deeper now than it was last year. Philly is only 2 games below 0.500, and we're only 2 games over.

It's a precarious position to be in for this young team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I've been looking and really outside of St Louis and LA, we are close to the bottom and you've gotta think that St Louis and LA aren't as bad as they are right now. I'd expect them to rise and few others to fall back. We will see.
The Kings are absolutely dreadful, like worst team in the league bad, theres no way they dont finish top 10.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Kings are absolutely dreadful, like worst team in the league bad, theres no way they dont finish top 10.

They been awful and Willie is a terrible coach, all really depends on what happens when Quick gets back.. but that's definitely a team that's going through the Chicago decline.

Reactions: CapSpace

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Between Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Ylönen, Juulsen, Mete, Brook, Fleury, Romanov and guys like Domi, Drouin and Gallagher, the future is bright. Getting one of Hughes/Kakko/Dach to add to that group would be amazing. We'd have the makings for a legitimate cup contender with all that talent. I'd much rather tank than just miss the playoffs and pick mid round even thought it's a strong draft.

Reactions: FrankMTL and get25

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Between Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Ylönen, Juulsen, Mete, Brook, Fleury, Romanov and guys like Domi, Drouin and Gallagher, the future is bright. Getting one of Hughes/Kakko/Dach to add to that group would be amazing. We'd have the makings for a legitimate cup contender with all that talent. I'd much rather tank than just miss the playoffs and pick mid round even thought it's a strong draft.

Agreed. I also think this draft will be huge for us not only for the fact we should have a pretty high first round pick, but also that with the right moves by MB, we should be able to pick up a few more moderately high draft picks to add to our stable of young players.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I’d be pretty surprised if we finish bottom 10 despite the 5 losses in a row. I think we finish in the 10-20 range.
Its hard to predict with all those injuries in the league, we only lost Armia and Byron and it hurt alot, if we lose a guy like Domi ,Drouin or Price for a long stretch, we are basically done but I would tend to agree with you that the Habs are unlikely to draft top 10 at this point with Weber back...

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
What do you all think of Mikko Kokkonen? Haven't been able to watch him this year, but I liked him at the U-18s, and his numbers so far are very impressive as a 17 year old playing against men.

Should be an interesting guy to watch as he's a LD.

Reactions: Habs76

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
What do you all think of Mikko Kokkonen? Haven't been able to watch him this year, but I liked him at the U-18s, and his numbers so far are very impressive as a 17 year old playing against men.

Should be an interesting guy to watch as he's a LD.
I really like his two-way play. The fact that he's able to compete physically against pros at that size is huge, but it's also a question mark as it means he's mostly physically developed. Having been playing in the Liiga last season, Kokkonen is ahead of most in his development curve. I don't think he has top pairing potential, as a lack of size and skating are a huge detriment to any player, though his skating is much improved this year in comparison to last. I like him in the 15-30 range, just don't expect his development to reflect his Liiga stats.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad