2019 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wouldn't be against this at all...I guess it depends which D men are still on the board at #13.
Agreed. Not a huge fan of drafting goalies in the first round but if they believe this kid has the stuff then I’d be for it I guess. Either him, York, soderstrom, or Broberg and I’ll be happy. Unless of course a big boy falls.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Since 2012, 12 of the 16 goalies in the SC final were picked outside the first round. 2009 (MAF) was the last time a team won the SC with a goalie picked in the first round (this year, Rask might be another one).

Obviously Knight is a very promising goalie prospect and it wouldn't be the end of the world if we drafted him. I'd still rather use the 13th pick on a Dman (unless one of the top10 projected centers falls) and grab one or two goalie prospects with our 3rd and 4th round picks.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I really like the idea of Soderstrom, Broberg or Seider...all 3 seem to have a safe floor to be a top 4 dman, good defensively and not outrageous to think all 3 will be ready to contribute in there D+1 year...if all goes right too any if them could be top pairing guys.

Next choice would be if the obvious top 8 forwards fall to our pick.

Would be somewhat disappointed with Knight at 13.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I would like to think that DT is pushing this 13th pick hard to people. I would imagine Q and him have their eyes set on some piece to help the team now.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I would like to think that DT is pushing this 13th pick hard to people. I would imagine Q and him have their eyes set on some piece to help the team now.

I disagree I think he is keeping the pick especially if the Bob/Bread rumors are true. We will be close to the cap and trading the pick for an established player means more cap expenditure. Now of the pair doesn't sign then I can see him moving the pick for help.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I disagree I think he is keeping the pick especially if the Bob/Bread rumors are true. We will be close to the cap and trading the pick for an established player means more cap expenditure. Now of the pair doesn't sign then I can see him moving the pick for help.

I think the pick is very much in play. If Tallon doesnt acquire their (Columbus duo) rights before the draft, he wont be able to gauge their interest with the team, so the pick will probably be available, probably as a packaged deal, for a Dman.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Getting Knight if we have Bob would be very dumb.
Disagree. Knight probably will be on the nhl at the very earliest when he’s 21 and even that is a stretch. Say 2 of those years he plays backup and then bob is already on his sixth year and declining.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
If you think Knight will be a generational goaltender, take him at 13. If he is a good starter don't.

Good starters can be drafted in the 2nd Round or late first.

If you're choosing between good starter vs. dman ready in D+ year, or trade pick for immideate help I'd take the latter two options.

NHL teams never do this, but if they could trade back, get an extra 2nd or 3rd....then draft Knight....that would be the utlimate.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Disagree. Knight probably will be on the nhl at the very earliest when he’s 21 and even that is a stretch. Say 2 of those years he plays backup and then bob is already on his sixth year and declining.
A guy that will help in 5 years is useless to this core regardless of position, we should get a guy that should be ready next year or so. It will help with Cap management and win. Our window is until we have to re-sign Barkov, because after that we'll be in the same boat as LA and Chicago but with no Cups.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A guy that will help in 5 years is useless to this core regardless of position, we should get a guy that should be ready next year or so. It will help with Cap management and win. Our window is until we have to re-sign Barkov, because after that we'll be in the same boat as LA and Chicago but with no Cups.
I’m a BPA person. I don’t want a guy who can step in next year with limited upside. If they believe Knight is a franchise goalie then by all means get him. And I’m on record a million times saying I hate drafting goalies with a first round pick.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I’m a BPA person. I don’t want a guy who can step in next year with limited upside. If they believe Knight is a franchise goalie then by all means get him. And I’m on record a million times saying I hate drafting goalies with a first round pick.
Strawman, no one is talking about a limited upside...
Sure, then hope he's there in the second round or get another goalie in later rounds. Don't draft someone in the first round that you don't think will contribute until year 5.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Strawman, no one is talking about a limited upside...
Sure, then hope he's there in the second round or get another goalie in later rounds. Don't draft someone in the first round that you don't think will contribute until year 5.
Knight will not be there in the second round that’s a fact. Ok who would you want then? I’m not arguing with you it’s jsut friendly banter lol. I want them to draft the best player available regardless of the timeline.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Knight will not be there in the second round that’s a fact. Ok who would you want then? I’m not arguing with you it’s jsut friendly banter lol. I want them to draft the best player available regardless of the timeline.
Are you asking which goalie I'd get or who I'd get at 13?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I think the pick is very much in play. If Tallon doesnt acquire their (Columbus duo) rights before the draft, he wont be able to gauge their interest with the team, so the pick will probably be available, probably as a packaged deal, for a Dman.

That could turn out to be risky, if we trade the pick for X player costing 4 million (example) that means it could potentially eliminate either Panarin or Bobrovsky for cap reasons.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
If I am the GM I trade Hoffman for a pick not a player. Regardless Hoffman is most likely gone after the year might as well get something for him. We might get a mid first pick and draft a quality dman and a forward. Or draft Spencer Knight in the mid round. And if Panarin is coming then we most def need to trade him for a pick to avoid a cap crunch. Hoffman is also *slightly* older then our core group if that matters at all.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That could turn out to be risky, if we trade the pick for X player costing 4 million (example) that means it could potentially eliminate either Panarin or Bobrovsky for cap reasons.

No it doesnt. If we move the pick, along with a Hoffman, Pysyk, Reimer, etc., we can take a Dman back, and still go after the Columbus duo. Or multiple moves can be made to get us where we need to be cap wise. We have a lot of picks and prospects to put us in position to improve drastically in the offseason.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Who at 13 would you like that you feel is super ready right now. Knight is the only goalie I’d even consider drafting in the first round.
Whoever falls from the top group really. There are about 12-13 guys that are above the rest imo. A guy like Soderstrom would be great for us next year. He'll play this year in the SHL and he'll be ready to slot in the lineup next year. He has a great hockey IQ, so that will help him come here quickly.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Whoever falls from the top group really. There are about 12-13 guys that are above the rest imo. A guy like Soderstrom would be great for us next year. He'll play this year in the SHL and he'll be ready to slot in the lineup next year. He has a great hockey IQ, so that will help him come here quickly.
I’m a fan of soderstrom. My only question is what is his upside.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm not sure, maybe Dumba or Yandle type of player. A top pairing player that isn't your main guy if you know what I mean?
I mean I would love that but I was almost sure he was safe but had top 3-4 potential which is still a great pick on our area. I’d have to see a little more of him to see if he has top pair potential. He will for sure be an nhl player though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad