2019 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Have to think Moritz Seider is on their radar:

1) Florida picked German Justin Schütz last year in the sixth round. Means that they have some knowledge in that area.
2) Schütz can help by giving inside information on what kind of team mate Seider is (both played in the same U20 team)
3) Fills a huge need. RHD.
4) Tallon likes his defensemen big. Seider is 6-4. He can play too.
5) Plays already in the men's league. His team is in the finals. The guy is already playing very competitive hockey.
6) Tallon likes character. He's was the German U20 team's captain at 17 years old in the D1A WJC. Seider won the best player in a team award ahead of last year's 1st round pick Dominik Bokk. Also he got the award for the Rookie of the year in the DEL.
7) Tallon has painted himself into a corner already with his picks, and said after last year's draft that they will be looking at D's and goalies after taking so many forwards in previous drafts.

This of course doesn't mean anything, but it would make a lot of sense. And they can always like someone else better, or a team has already picked Seider ahead of Florida.

Only issue is that mock drafts have him going in the 20's. Would Tallon use pick #13 for him or trade some later picks to get a second first round pick?

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Only issue is that mock drafts have him going in the 20's. Would Tallon use pick #13 for him or trade some later picks to get a second first round pick?
We will see. I don't read mock drafts much at this point of the season. They seem to be done because of the lottery event hype for clicks and just to tell fans who their teams might be looking at. When the season is over, the journalists will discuss with the actual scouts and it's sometimes easy to read between the lines who's getting picked and where.

Hockeyprospect.com (who I trust the most of the scouting services) have Seider #11 in their rankings and Bob McKenzie had him #21 in his mid season rankings in January. I could see a team or Tallon using #13 pick for him.

I think Heinola is likely to be picked before the Panthers pick # 13, and he would be another good choice.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I hope they keep the pick. Lots of really good D-men should be available at our spot and I know it's not ideal but a guy Ville Heinola or Soderstrom might be able to contribute as soon as next year, both very polished. and already played in pro leagues.

Kilipukki

Jun 29, 2014
Heinola or Sodestrom are who i wish Tallon takes. I just wish he doesnt waste it to some grinder like Crouse if we are going to use it.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Until Dale actually does trade a first round pick, I don't entertain any trade scenarios for our first rounders. Haha

Also now that Q is on board, I imagine him having a voice (small or large) on draft picks.

-ghoste

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I hope they keep the pick. Lots of really good D-men should be available at our spot and I know it's not ideal but a guy Ville Heinola or Soderstrom might be able to contribute as soon as next year, both very polished. and already played in pro leagues.
Maybe not next year, but they do both look like they could be NHL ready as soon as 2020.
I'd like either of those picks.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I just looked up the Florida Panthers 2019 draft picks:

Florida's first round pick, 13 overall

Florida's second round pick to Ottawa, previously acquired by San
Jose in Mike Hoffman trade

Pittsburgh second round, acquired in Bjugstad & McCann trade

Edmonton's third round, acquired in Petrovic trade

Florida's third round to Nashville, acquired in 2018 trade for Nashville 2018 third round, 89 overall Logan Hutsko

Minnesota's fourth round, acquired in Bjugstad & McCann trade. The pick was previously acquired by Arizona, and was then acquired by Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh's fourth round, acquired in Bjugstad & McCann trade.

Florida's fourth round

Florida's fifth round

Florida's sixth round

Florida's seventh round

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

In some mid Season rankings he was up by 15. Theree is still a chance he could be picked around the Corner. Also an option but more risky is to trade down 3 ranks down and pick around 16 and get some extra draft picks.

But in December when the WJH tournament was, i also thought this is our Player for the next Draft. a typical stay at home defensman with height and weight but also can skate not an high an skate but you always can work on your skating. And when you look on Ekblad you also can play NHL without been a good Skater.

And Panthers picking a Goalie and develop him into a High end Goalie. You only can hope for that Goalie he ends up in Anaheim, NSH, NJ, MIN those Teams well known that the know how to handle a rookie Goalie. Im still doubtful how successful is the Panthers Goalie development, there was 2 candidates, 1 was a complete fail the 2nd show potential. But it is and will be a real problem in this organisation in development.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
In some mid Season rankings he was up by 15. Theree is still a chance he could be picked around the Corner. Also an option but more risky is to trade down 3 ranks down and pick around 16 and get some extra draft picks.

But in December when the WJH tournament was, i also thought this is our Player for the next Draft. a typical stay at home defensman with height and weight but also can skate not an high an skate but you always can work on your skating. And when you look on Ekblad you also can play NHL without been a good Skater.

And Panthers picking a Goalie and develop him into a High end Goalie. You only can hope for that Goalie he ends up in Anaheim, NSH, NJ, MIN those Teams well known that the know how to handle a rookie Goalie. Im still doubtful how successful is the Panthers Goalie development, there was 2 candidates, 1 was a complete fail the 2nd show potential. But it is and will be a real problem in this organisation in development.

You got to think Lou has one more year as a backup, possibly two. After that you would hope the organization keeps him on as a goalie coach or something along those lines. Just think what kind of Mentor he would be if he is full time with a goalie like Knight.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So just to update: (As per Capfriendly)

2019 picks:

1st - 13th overall (FLA)
2nd - 53rd (from PIT)
3rd - 69th (from EDM)

4th - 104th (MIN's pick from PIT) (fun fact, this pick has been traded 4 times previously)

4th - 106th (FLA)

4th - 115th (from PIT)

5th - 137th (FLA)
6th - 168th (FLA)
7th - 199th (FLA)

3 picks inside the top 70. Should be able to find some good mid round talent with some of the 4th's or use one of them for rights to Bob.

Last edited:

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Columbus has how many picks this year?

Only a 3rd.

Next year a 4th, 6th, and 7th.

Yea we're dealing CBJ some picks.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So just to update: (As per Capfriendly)

2019 picks:

1st - 13th overall (FLA)
2nd - 53rd (from PIT)
3rd - 69th (from EDM)

4th - 104th (MIN's pick from PIT) (fun fact, this pick has been traded 4 times previously)

4th - 106th (FLA)

4th - 115th (from PIT)

5th - 137th (FLA)
6th - 168th (FLA)
7th - 199th (FLA)

3 picks inside the top 70. Should be able to find some good mid round talent with some of the 4th's or use one of them for rights to Bob.
Every so often the 4th round sleepers end up being the next star.

Some incredible names here, selected all the way in 8th-9th rounds and Hasek in 10th round. In fact, a lot of top goalies have gone in very late rounds. Roy and Quick dropped to 3rd round each.

NHL Draft: The 25 Biggest Steals in Draft History

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Columbus has how many picks this year?

Only a 3rd.

Next year a 4th, 6th, and 7th.

Yea we're dealing CBJ some picks.
They also have Calgary's 7th this year and they will keep their 1st next year if Duchene doesn't sign with them...
But yeah, unless the two suddenly change their minds about leaving, C-Bus would be stupid not to trade Bob and Panarin's rights for picks.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
Been following the team board mock draft, I like where the Panthers are sitting right now. If it plays out this way we get our pick of any D besides Byram, first choice and hopefully our scouts have a favorite. I like Broberg the best personally I think but Soderstrom, Harley, Heinola, even Seider I'm good with.

And if one or two of those guys go before us and maybe a surprise pick or two that always happens, would not mind at all if the Panthers go with a center that maybe drops. After the 3 we have in the NHL right now we have nothing in the organization.

The true wild card though and the guy that has the best chance of having a big drop to us is Podz. Obviously, we are stacked at winger right now but I think he is the 3rd best prospect coming out this year and if some reason we have a chance with him at 13? We can afford to let him develop further and wait out his contract situation and in a few years have a 1st line, hulking beast of a winger. Never hurts to stack elite talent.

Reactions: klabob

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I'll add also that the guy I don't want at 13 is Knight. Maybe if they trade down and pick up an extra asset it would be ok, but the goalie I want is in 2020, Yaroslav Askarov. Hopefully, we aren't picking high in next year's draft but with the Russian factor combined with being a goalie, if we have a chance at him you gotta take him. The word generational is being thrown around for him and it looks legit.

If we are taking a goalie 1st round the G word better be used!

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Been following the team board mock draft, I like where the Panthers are sitting right now. If it plays out this way we get our pick of any D besides Byram, first choice and hopefully our scouts have a favorite. I like Broberg the best personally I think but Soderstrom, Harley, Heinola, even Seider I'm good with.

And if one or two of those guys go before us and maybe a surprise pick or two that always happens, would not mind at all if the Panthers go with a center that maybe drops. After the 3 we have in the NHL right now we have nothing in the organization.

The true wild card though and the guy that has the best chance of having a big drop to us is Podz. Obviously, we are stacked at winger right now but I think he is the 3rd best prospect coming out this year and if some reason we have a chance with him at 13? We can afford to let him develop further and wait out his contract situation and in a few years have a 1st line, hulking beast of a winger. Never hurts to stack elite talent.

If we draft a winger, we should be open to shipping Heponiemi for a ELC RD then. I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft another winger. Feel RD or D in general and C are the two key areas of this draft.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If we draft a winger, we should be open to shipping Heponiemi for a ELC RD then. I'd be pretty disappointed if we draft another winger. Feel RD or D in general and C are the two key areas of this draft.
The only way we draft a forward is if one of the big boys like cozens drops. Otherwise this is a year we should absolutely draft a D. I’m one of the BPA ALWAYS people but it just so happens some D Willa be the BPA anyways.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The only way we draft a forward is if one of the big boys like cozens drops. Otherwise this is a year we should absolutely draft a D. I’m one of the BPA ALWAYS people but it just so happens some D Willa be the BPA anyways.

Who's on your radar for LD/RD?
Think it's better to get a RD this time?
We have Gildon and Stillman as LD already. Either way I agree, D is top priority and then C after that.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Who's on your radar for LD/RD?
Think it's better to get a RD this time?
We have Gildon and Stillman as LD already. Either way I agree, D is top priority and then C after that.
Not super informed on this draft but really like the Euro D. Any of Soderstrom, Heinola, or Broberg will make me happy. Broberg has sky high potential but is also super risky. Soderstrom I see as a very safe bet to be a top 4 D and Heinola has risk but I can see him being a #2. Broberg could be anything from a #1 to garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad