2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Always go BPA, but I hope the BPA is a center where we pick. We're in pretty desperate need of one.

It's well-known that center is an organizational weakness.

It can be addressed in a number of ways.

I think as time goes by, and we experience more and more drafts, it becomes clearer and clearer that drafting for need, even slightly, and especially in the first few rounds, almost never leads to the best possible solution.

By the time most kids are ready, that need has usually changed.

But your hopes could be answered as there seem to be a number of centers of note throughout the first round.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Me too. I said the same a few weeks ago. Who knows. Maybe he drops. Reminds me of a goal scoring Barzal.

The only reason he would drop that I can think of is because of the league that he plays in. I am not fully confident Lou holds onto the first rounder anyway.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The only reason he would drop that I can think of is because of the league that he plays in. I am not fully confident Lou holds onto the first rounder anyway.

There’s a few good centers I really would
Love.

Newhook Zegras and Turcotte.

I’m not against trading the first though.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Mock Draft - 1st round - updated on Feb. 26th.

1 *
Jack Hughes
Ht/Wt:5'10"/160 lbs
Position:C

Kaapo Kakko
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/194 lbs
Position:RW
Kirby Dach
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/185 lbs
Dylan Cozens
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/181 lbs
Trevor Zegras
Ht/Wt:5'11"/165 lbs
Vasili Podkolzin
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/185 lbs
Matthew Boldy
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/175 lbs
Position:C/RW
Bowen Byram
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/191 lbs
Position:LHD
Peyton Krebs
Ht/Wt:5'11"/175 lbs
Position:C/LW
Alex Turcotte
Ht/Wt:5'11"/194 lbs
Philip Broberg
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/200 lbs
Alex Newhook
Ht/Wt:5'11"/185 lbs
Arthur Kaliyev
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/165 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Hamilton (OHL)
Victor Soderstrom
Position:RHD
Cole Caufield
Ht/Wt:5' 7"/165 lbs
Cam York
Ht/Wt:5'11"/165 lbs
Moritz Seider
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/185 lbs
Ryan Suzuki
19 *
Thomas Harley
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/185 lbs
Bobby Brink
Ht/Wt:5'10"/165 lbs
Raphael Lavoie
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/190 lbs
22 *
Jakob Pelletier
Ht/Wt:5' 9"/160 lbs
Position:C/LW
Connor McMichael
Ht/Wt:5'11"/170 lbs
24 *
Anttoni Honka
Ht/Wt:5'10"/170 lbs
Nils Hoglander
Ht/Wt:5' 9"/185 lbs
Nicholas Robertson
Ht/Wt:5' 9"/160 lbs
27 *
Matthew Robertson
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/195 lbs
Brett Leason
Ht/Wt:6' 5"/200 lbs

29 *
Ville Heinola
Phillip Tomasino
Ht/Wt:5'11"/170 lbs
31 *
Albin Grewe

Below is the one from August to see who moved where....

1 Jack Hughes
2 *Alex Newhook

3 Kaapo Kakko
4 Peyton Krebs

5 Alex Turcotte
6 Kirby Dach

7 Bowen Byram
8 Dylan Cozens
9 Raphael Lavoie

10 Anttoni Honka
11 Trevor Zegras
12 Matthew Robertson
13 Arthur Kaliyev
14 Ryan Suzuki
15 Blake Murray

16 Nolan Foote
17 * Cole Caufield
18 Cam York
19 Matthew Boldy
20 Victor Soderstrom
21 Vasili Podkolzin
22 Tobias Bjornfot
23 * Mikko Kokkonen
24 Marshall Warren
25 Nils Hoglander
26 Samuel Poulin
27 Valentin Nussbaumer
28 Artemi Knyazev
29 Alex Vlasic
30 Maxim Cajkovic

31 Albin Grewe

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
In what looks like a forward-heavy draft, it would be great if the BPA was a center either at the Isles pick or in a spot that they can reasonably get up to, if needed.

That said, who has any info to add on Thomas Harley? It sounds like he is expected to go in the 15-20 range right now? From what little I have seen and read, he sure looks like an interesting prospect.

A LHD with good size, speed, edgework and offensive instincts he needs to improve defensively (fairly reasonable expectation in a Trotz system) and add size to his lanky frame. It might be a "luxury pick", given the Isles depth on defense at the NHL and AHL levels plus Dobson and Wilde in the system (although both are RHDs), but I have no problem with continuing to accumulate quality players on defense and perhaps make a trade later.

Presumably he would be gone before the Isles draft, but you never know if the Isles slump a bit at the end and finish lower in the standings and/or other teams go forward heavy in the draft. What are others thoughts on Harley as a prospect?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
In what looks like a forward-heavy draft, it would be great if the BPA was a center either at the Isles pick or in a spot that they can reasonably get up to, if needed.

That said, who has any info to add on Thomas Harley? It sounds like he is expected to go in the 15-20 range right now? From what little I have seen and read, he sure looks like an interesting prospect.

A LHD with good size, speed, edgework and offensive instincts he needs to improve defensively (fairly reasonable expectation in a Trotz system) and add size to his lanky frame. It might be a "luxury pick", given the Isles depth on defense at the NHL and AHL levels plus Dobson and Wilde in the system (although both are RHDs), but I have no problem with continuing to accumulate quality players on defense and perhaps make a trade later.

Presumably he would be gone before the Isles draft, but you never know if the Isles slump a bit at the end and finish lower in the standings and/or other teams go forward heavy in the draft. What are others thoughts on Harley as a prospect?

I love him!!! I said awhile ago I saw him play and he reminded me of Devon Toews. Good skater with size and good positioning.

He wasn’t even on my radar until I saw a steelheads game and he really stuck out. After that I started researching him and saw that he was a top prospect expected to go within the first 2 rounds. Probably a safer bet that he’s a first at this point.

Last edited:

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I sincerely hope we package the pick in a deal acquire a 2C , however, if we have the pick when we are on the clock I would love Lavoie , seems like a gamer

Konk

Mar 11, 2008

Harley is a great skater, his offensive skills are good, not great, and his defense needs some work. I don't think he has top pairing potential from what I've seen over the past few years, but he could be a top four guy if given the right amount of time to develop. His size and skating alone will take him to the show.

A guy I like a bit more, granted only from my limited viewing at the WJC, but I really like Ville Heinola. His IQ really sticks out and while he's undersized, his offensive capabilities are very impressive. All reports from his Liiga play seem to bring Heiskanen comparisons. I would take a chance on him if he's still there in the 20s, wherever we pick.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Another guy I love who reminds me a lot of Zach Parise is Jakob Pelletier. High IQ speedster from the Q can score goals and plays with a really high motor. Smallish at 5'9'', but he plays with Cizikas-like tempo. I think he's the type of player you win with, regardless of his size. He's a 'battler'.

Barzy96

Jun 30, 2018
I don't really understand the hype around Lavoie. I saw him live earlier this season and I honestly wasn't impressed at all. He has a very odd skating stride that definitely slows him down. I'd stay away.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The bad part is the players we need to make the team better will be taken by the time we select. The Islanders are coming down to earth so maybe that changes but missing the playoffs barely and losing out on a top prospect is a recipe for disaster.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I sincerely hope we package the pick in a deal acquire a 2C , however, if we have the pick when we are on the clock I would love Lavoie , seems like a gamer

I sincerely hope we deal for a #2 center AND keep our 1st round pick.

Such things are possible... you'd be surprised!

Lou, you're our boy!

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The bad part is the players we need to make the team better will be taken by the time we select. The Islanders are coming down to earth so maybe that changes but missing the playoffs barely and losing out on a top prospect is a recipe for disaster.

Unless the team absolutely tanked it from the start, it is extremely unlikely that NYI would get a consensus impact blue-chip prospect. From what I read NYI should get someone like Tomasino, who seems a safe bet to be a top-9 player, but could turn out to be better. And that sounds like a lot of players outside of the top 8 or so in this draft.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Harley is a great skater, his offensive skills are good, not great, and his defense needs some work. I don't think he has top pairing potential from what I've seen over the past few years, but he could be a top four guy if given the right amount of time to develop. His size and skating alone will take him to the show.

A guy I like a bit more, granted only from my limited viewing at the WJC, but I really like Ville Heinola. His IQ really sticks out and while he's undersized, his offensive capabilities are very impressive. All reports from his Liiga play seem to bring Heiskanen comparisons. I would take a chance on him if he's still there in the 20s, wherever we pick.

Ironically, The Sporting News just put out a mock draft today and had Harley and Heinola going in the two picks right before the Isles select John Beecher at #29.

Outside of his size, Beecher at #29 seems too high to me. Maybe early-to-mid second. If the Isles slide a bit in the standings (ideally staying at #2 in the Metro), perhaps they get lucky and make the playoffs with home ice in the first round AND get a nice prospect.

Here is the link to their mock draft: NHL mock draft 2019: Senators, Rangers, Ducks gain stock in post-trade deadline edition

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Brent’s second son and another Friar (when Lou started his career). Right handed center with decent frame.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That close to July 1st, I expect Lou to keep the 2019 1st and make a run at Panarin or Duchene. Big name players he pushed for during the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad