2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
He is a real wild card, his ranking is all over the place. Even this early in the draft scouting process, I have seen him as high as top-3.

If we have another 1st, I would take a chance with the 2nd pick. I don't think I'd take the gamble with our pick.

I do not think I would take a gamble with out one pick either, but his raw talent is great. He needs to start producing more though. I am looking for Jost/Turris numbers out of him this year there.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
It's interesting that he's listed at center, everything seems to suggest that he's a winger and looks more comfortable on his off wing. If he is a center, his value has to go up. That would make 3 6'3+ RH shot centers in the top-10 of he is. That's crazy.

Interesting also is Krebs being listed as a LW. He centered the top line between Lafreniere and Dach as a RW at the Hnlinka.

Dach is a C in the WHL though and Cozens has been playing strictly RW to start the year.

Seems like Hughes and Dach might end up being the only true centers in the top 10 come draft day.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If we are so lucky as to win the lottery (let's face it, we'll be in it, we're just not strong enough to beat out other teams for a playoff spot) and we draft Jack Hughes, the lineup is easy:

Bellows - Barzal - Bailey

Lee - Hughes - Wahlstrom

Ho-Sang - Beauvillier - Karmorov

Martin - Czikas - Clutterbuck

Pulock - Toews (should happen this year)

Leddy - Pelech (ugh)

Hickey - Boychuck

*Any player not on this list go away.

Eberle likely to be traded or sign as UFA eslewhere.

Dobson could make team next year, but I won't count on it.

Reactions: IODCPiper

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If we are so lucky as to win the lottery (let's face it, we'll be in it, we're just not strong enough to beat out other teams for a playoff spot) and we draft Jack Hughes, the lineup is easy:

Bellows - Barzal - Bailey

Lee - Hughes - Wahlstrom

Ho-Sang - Beauvillier - Karmorov

Martin - Czikas - Clutterbuck

Pulock - Toews (should happen this year)

Leddy - Pelech (ugh)

Hickey - Boychuck

*Any player not on this list go away.

Eberle likely to be traded or sign as UFA eslewhere.

Dobson could make team next year, but I won't count on it.
There is a very good chance he will make it as I believe as he is incredibly mature and smart. If they want him to start him in AHL for a 20 game run to get him adjusted to the pro league it will not be a bad idea though.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Kaapo Kakko is playing center for his pro team. If he can transition back to center (seems like he was a center growing up), he could really challenge Hughes for #1 overall.
This player seem have quite a bit upside from what I read. You take Hugh if he is available but I would keep an eye on this player all the way through out his draft year.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hypothetical for you.

Say way trade Eberle or Lee at the deadline for a first round pick.

Say that pick is anywhere from 17-25 would you

Say we win the lottery for the #2 or #3 slot with our pick.

Would you rather

Option A- Cozens/Dach 1st pick and Suzuki/Zegras 2nd pick

Option B- Broberg/Byram 1st pick and Suzuki/Zegras 2nd pick

Basically a stud Center and a potentially really good center OR a Stud Defensman and a potentially really good Center ?

Option C you could always take the stud Center and maybe hope York or Vlasic is there for the second pick.

Interesting scenarios. Buffalo just landed Dahlin and they still have 3 first in this up coming draft. Crazy
Always take the best player available despite of positional need.

Reactions: periferal

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Kaapo Kakko is playing center for his pro team. If he can transition back to center (seems like he was a center growing up), he could really challenge Hughes for #1 overall.
He is playing on a same line with Filppulas brother. And he is from Turku, city that has about 20000 islands on its area. He will be islander.

Reactions: PWJunior and SI90

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Dach is a C in the WHL though and Cozens has been playing strictly RW to start the year.

Seems like Hughes and Dach might end up being the only true centers in the top 10 come draft day.

Konk,

Are you suggesting that Turcotte and Newhook fall out of the top 10 or that don't project to be Centers at the NHL level?

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Konk,

Are you suggesting that Turcotte and Newhook fall out of the top 10 or that don't project to be Centers at the NHL level?
I don't think Newhook is in the top 10 at this point. I'm more inclined to put Zegras ahead of him until he proves himself at higher levels.

Turcotte is behind Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Podkolzin, Dach, Byram, Broberg, and Lavoie for sure and maybe closer to Krebs and Suzuki so he's in that 9-12 range. I do think Turcotte's game will lead to him being a center in the NHL though because he plays such a smart responsible game.

I'm not sure if Cozens will move back to C this year or not, I think it would take Bellerive going down with an injury for that to happen. He's the most interesting case as far as centers or prospective centers along with Kakko, whom, if he can remain effective and make the transition back to C smoothly, will make the draft a lot more interesting overall. I know some are ready to replace Hughes with Kakko at the top, but it's still really early and it'll take a lot more for that to happen, realistically.

Reactions: PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't think Newhook is in the top 10 at this point. I'm more inclined to put Zegras ahead of him until he proves himself at higher levels.

Turcotte is behind Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Podkolzin, Dach, Byram, Broberg, and Lavoie for sure and maybe closer to Krebs and Suzuki so he's in that 9-12 range. I do think Turcotte's game will lead to him being a center in the NHL though because he plays such a smart responsible game.

I'm not sure if Cozens will move back to C this year or not, I think it would take Bellerive going down with an injury for that to happen. He's the most interesting case as far as centers or prospective centers along with Kakko, whom, if he can remain effective and make the transition back to C smoothly, will make the draft a lot more interesting overall. I know some are ready to replace Hughes with Kakko at the top, but it's still really early and it'll take a lot more for that to happen, realistically.

Konk, I really think that if Broberg keeps progressing we can't pass him up. Broberg-Dobson and Toews-Pulock with ??-Mayfield (he's really taken a nice step up this year) is simply too good to pass on. We can always find a 2C at some point but locking in that defense is too hard to pass up.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Konk, I really think that if Broberg keeps progressing we can't pass him up. Broberg-Dobson and Toews-Pulock with ??-Mayfield (he's really taken a nice step up this year) is simply too good to pass on. We can always find a 2C at some point but locking in that defense is too hard to pass up.

I would agree and same on Byram. I'm not dead set on a #2 C, I want BPA -- always. That said, I'd take Dach and Cozens over either at the moment, and Byram over Broberg for now. If Broberg has a big first half and WJC that could change. Byram is having a heck of a start already, he's really a great all-around d-man. Plays physical, skates beautifully, has great offensive skills and instincts, and is a rock in his own end. Will be hard to pass that up unless a big all-around C is on the board.

Would love to be in position to make that tough decision.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This player seem have quite a bit upside from what I read. You take Hugh if he is available but I would keep an eye on this player all the way through out his draft year.

From what I've read, he is most likely to challenge Hughes for that first pick. Obviously anything can change, but if we pick later than top 3, we'll be keeping an eye on him on another team.

But from what it seems, if we don't make the playoffs, we will likely get a very nice prospect. And if we have a top 10 pick, even more so. And top 5? Perhaps an immediate contributor.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Mock Draft - 1st round - updated on Oct. 22nd

Jack Hughes
Ht/Wt:5'10"/160 lbs
Position:C
Team: NTDP U18 (USDP)

Kaapo Kakko
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/185 lbs
Position:RW
Team: TPS U20 (Jr A SM-Liiga)

Dylan Cozens
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/175 lbs
Team: Lethbridge (WHL)

Alex Turcotte
Ht/Wt:5'11"/194 lbs

Bowen Byram
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/180 lbs
Position:LHD
Team: Vancouver (WHL)

Vasili Podkolzin
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/185 lbs
Team: Vityaz Podolsk (Russia U17)

Kirby Dach
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/185 lbs
Team: Saskatoon (WHL)

NY%20Islanders.gif

Philip Broberg
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/200 lbs
Team: AIK J20 (Superelit)

Raphael Lavoie
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/190 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: Halifax (QMJHL)

Peyton Krebs
Ht/Wt:5'11"/175 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Kootenay (WHL)

Cam York
Ht/Wt:5'11"/165 lbs
Team: NTDP U17 (USDP)

Ryan Suzuki
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/175 lbs
Team: Barrie (OHL)

Alex Newhook
Ht/Wt:5'11"/185 lbs
Team: Victoria (BCHL)

Matthew Robertson
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/195 lbs
Team: Edmonton (WHL)

Matthew Boldy
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/175 lbs

Josh Williams
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/185 lbs
Team: Medicine Hat (WHL)

17 *
Victor Soderstrom
Ht/Wt:5'11"/175 lbs
Position:RHD
Team: Brynas J20 (Superelit)

18 *
Matvei Guskov
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/165 lbs
Team: Moskva (MHL)

Cole Caufield
Ht/Wt:5' 6"/165 lbs
Position:C/RW

Trevor Zegras
Ht/Wt:5'11"/165 lbs

Arthur Kaliyev
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/165 lbs
Team: Hamilton (OHL)

Anttoni Honka
Ht/Wt:5'10"/170 lbs
Team: JYP (Liiga)

Valentin Nussbaumer
Ht/Wt:5'10"/160 lbs
Team: Biel (NLA)

Alex Vlasic
Ht/Wt:6' 5"/190 lbs
Team: NTDP U17 (USDP)

Tobias Bjornfot
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs
Team: Djurgardens J20 (Superelit)

Nolan Foote
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/190 lbs
Team: Kelowna (WHL)

Michael Vukojevic
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/200 lbs
Team: Kitchener (OHL)

Samuel Poulin
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/210 lbs
Team: Sherbrooke (QMJHL)

Moritz Seider
Ht/Wt:6' 4"/185 lbs
Team: Mannheim (DNL)

Jakob Pelletier
Ht/Wt:5' 9"/160 lbs
Team: Moncton (QMJHL)

Daniil Gutik
Ht/Wt:6' 3"/180 lbs
Team: Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
With this team you need to go BPA. As much as I want a Center the depth the Isles have at D is lacking top end talent. Dach or Broberg for me depending who is available.

Reactions: periferal

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This isn't a great draft. It's pretty average.

It’s pretty meh after Hughes and I see conflicting views on him as well. While nobody is saying he will bust some are saying he may not be the generational player some are saying he will be

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It’s pretty meh after Hughes and I see conflicting views on him as well. While nobody is saying he will bust some are saying he may not be the generational player some are saying he will be

I had a friend go and watch him a few weeks ago. He said he wasn't "generational" and wasn't that impressive.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
say the season finished out and the draft order is as it is today, would anyone have a problem adding spencer knight? can't have enough goalie prospects

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
say the season finished out and the draft order is as it is today, would anyone have a problem adding spencer knight? can't have enough goalie prospects

By all Accounts he’s one of the most polished goalies to come along in a while. That being said, I don’t think it’s a great idea to take a goalie in the first round.

Reactions: PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad