2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
After watching Byram's highlight film from Hlinka versus Broberg, there is NO WAY I'm passing on Broberg to take Byram. Broberg dominated while Byram was on a much better collection of talent.

A Dobson-Broberg tandem as your Top pair for ten years is mouth-watering.

Broberg was a beast at the Hlinka tournament. He looked like Hedman. You have to be carful by judging off of one tournament and highlight videos. Broberg has been a late riser and by the end of the year could be the #1 Defensman on the board.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Broberg was a beast at the Hlinka tournament. He looked like Hedman. You have to be carful by judging off of one tournament and highlight videos. Broberg has been a late riser and by the end of the year could be the #1 Defensman on the board.

And quite possibly the #2 overall prospect

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
And quite possibly the #2 overall prospect

The tools that Broberg possesses are eye popping. He's already 6'3 and about 200 pounds who skates like the wind. He's quite assertive offensively and has no qualms leading the rush, he can do it because his skating is that impressive. He really did dazzle at the U18 Hnlinka. A potential Hedman type is going to warrant top-2 status if he truly is legit. He definitely has the potential to shoot up the draft board.

A Broberg-Dobson future pairing is dream worthy. I'll be interested to see how Byram develops as I'm a big fan of his.

My main concern about drafting a d-man this year is that it's the year to draft a center in the top-5/10. Cozens is my Dobson for this class, he's my #2 behind Hughes and before Dach. Kakko is an impressive winger who could possibly play center too. Turcotte, Krebs, Suzuki, and maybe Zegras could raise their stock to top-5ish status. If we're picking that high, I want to take from the deepest and most high quality well of talent. A #1C is the most coveted asset, the hit rate in the top-2 are very high.

I wonder where Broberg and Byram would compare to the 2018 class by draft day. Being LHD's also deflates their stock a bit to me as RHD's are more rare. At #2, Broberg better be Hedman and Byram better be Doughty in this center rich crop.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The tools that Broberg possesses are eye popping. He's already 6'3 and about 200 pounds who skates like the wind. He's quite assertive offensively and has no qualms leading the rush, he can do it because his skating is that impressive. He really did dazzle at the U18 Hnlinka. A potential Hedman type is going to warrant top-2 status if he truly is legit. He definitely has the potential to shoot up the draft board.

A Broberg-Dobson future pairing is dream worthy. I'll be interested to see how Byram develops as I'm a big fan of his.

My main concern about drafting a d-man this year is that it's the year to draft a center in the top-5/10. Cozens is my Dobson for this class, he's my #2 behind Hughes and before Dach. Kakko is an impressive winger who could possibly play center too. Turcotte, Krebs, Suzuki, and maybe Zegras could raise their stock to top-5ish status. If we're picking that high, I want to take from the deepest and most high quality well of talent. A #1C is the most coveted asset, the hit rate in the top-2 are very high.

I wonder where Broberg and Byram would compare to the 2018 class by draft day. Being LHD's also deflates their stock a bit to me as RHD's are more rare. At #2, Broberg better be Hedman and Byram better be Doughty in this center rich crop.

Hypothetical for you.

Say way trade Eberle or Lee at the deadline for a first round pick.

Say that pick is anywhere from 17-25 would you

Say we win the lottery for the #2 or #3 slot with our pick.

Would you rather

Option A- Cozens/Dach 1st pick and Suzuki/Zegras 2nd pick

Option B- Broberg/Byram 1st pick and Suzuki/Zegras 2nd pick

Basically a stud Center and a potentially really good center OR a Stud Defensman and a potentially really good Center ?

Option C you could always take the stud Center and maybe hope York or Vlasic is there for the second pick.

Interesting scenarios. Buffalo just landed Dahlin and they still have 3 first in this up coming draft. Crazy

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hypothetical for you.

Say way trade Eberle or Lee at the deadline for a first round pick.

Say that pick is anywhere from 17-25 would you

Say we win the lottery for the #2 or #3 slot with our pick.

Would you rather

Option A- Cozens/Dach 1st pick and Suzuki/Zegras 2nd pick

Option B- Broberg/Byram 1st pick and Suzuki/Zegras 2nd pick

Basically a stud Center and a potentially really good center OR a Stud Defensman and a potentially really good Center ?

Option C you could always take the stud Center and maybe hope York or Vlasic is there for the second pick.

Interesting scenarios. Buffalo just landed Dahlin and they still have 3 first in this up coming draft. Crazy

I take Cozens/Dach as big RH shot centers are so valuable and hard to find. I can't pass on either unless I'm completely sure that Broberg is Hedman level and Byram is Doughty. Usually the only way to get a top flight center is at the top of the draft, defensemen are more of a crap shoot. Have to play the odds there because it's disastrous to screw up a top-3 pick.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I take Cozens/Dach as big RH shot centers are so valuable and hard to find. I can't pass on either unless I'm completely sure that Broberg is Hedman level and Byram is Doughty. Usually the only way to get a top flight center is at the top of the draft, defensemen are more of a crap shoot. Have to play the odds there because it's disastrous to screw up a top-3 pick.

I was super impressed by Broberg at Hlinka, but not ready to put him above those guys quite yet. I do think he has more pure talent than Byram and can move ahead of him and possibly into the top 3 with a good 1st half and WJC performance. He is incredibly skilled.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Question for you prospect mavens, which of these Center prospects (besides Hughes) are legitimate contenders to step in right away and play in the NHL?

Seems like it goes Hughes/Cozens/Dach/Turcotte /Newhook (or some minor variation there). Are all those guys candidates to step right in or will they need some maturing?

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Question for you prospect mavens, which of these Center prospects (besides Hughes) are legitimate contenders to step in right away and play in the NHL?

Seems like it goes Hughes/Cozens/Dach/Turcotte /Newhook (or some minor variation there). Are all those guys candidates to step right in or will they need some maturing?

For me Cozens. He’s physically already built like an NHLer. He’s versatile enough to play wing st first before Center if need be. He’s a really good skater and he’s a 2way 200 foot player.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the NHL next year if he has a full healthy season this year.

Cozens has #1 center upside.

I love Turcotte but I don’t see him stepping in and making the jump next year. Same with Newhook.

Dach possibly could but not as likely as Cozens.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For me Cozens. He’s physically already built like an NHLer. He’s versatile enough to play wing st first before Center if need be. He’s a really good skater and he’s a 2way 200 foot player.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the NHL next year if he has a full healthy season this year.

Cozens has #1 center upside.

I love Turcotte but I don’t see him stepping in and making the jump next year. Same with Newhook.

Dach possibly could but not as likely as Cozens.

Cozens is my Dobson for this year. Big center who actually plays like a big center. Can do it all.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Since we already have Barzal it’s much easier to draft a center and I really like Kirby Dach. Great hand and great size could slot right into 2c in a few years. If we go for a defensemen I want Byram or Broberg

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Since we already have Barzal it’s much easier to draft a center and I really like Kirby Dach. Great hand and great size could slot right into 2c in a few years. If we go for a defensemen I want Byram or Broberg

I would be thrilled with Dach, I just like Cozens a little better.

Byram's dad played some games for the Isles.

Reactions: Lights911

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Lavoie going to be a center in the NHL? I've liked what I've seen of him - especially his size - but I always thought he translated to RW. Maybe its too early to make any assumptions.

It's interesting that he's listed at center, everything seems to suggest that he's a winger and looks more comfortable on his off wing. If he is a center, his value has to go up. That would make 3 6'3+ RH shot centers in the top-10 of he is. That's crazy.

Interesting also is Krebs being listed as a LW. He centered the top line between Lafreniere and Dach as a RW at the Hnlinka.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
With Cizikas injured and Gionta signed, it's clear we are razor thin at center at all levels of the organization. It has to priority #1 to upgrade the position. Zeeker always gets banged up, Barzal is the only legit center we have going forward. Nelson is a LW, Flip is a stop gap.

It has to priority #1 to walk away with a top end center prospect with our pick. I do like Byram a lot and Broberg is impressive, this is not the year to draft a LHD with a top-10 pick. Kakko is the only winger I'd consider at this point and it seems he is being tried at center, a transition that seems to suit his skillset.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wish Newhook was playing against real competition and not in the BCHL. It makes it quite difficult to judge him.

He is a real wild card, his ranking is all over the place. Even this early in the draft scouting process, I have seen him as high as top-3.

If we have another 1st, I would take a chance with the 2nd pick. I don't think I'd take the gamble with our pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad