2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Would wild fans rather get a good 2C in this draft or a Legit first line wing? I know we need center more than anything but I think if there’s an opportunity to take a winger and add the thing this team needs the most(skill) it would be dumb not to. Plus I like how kunin has been playing down the middle.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would wild fans rather get a good 2C in this draft or a Legit first line wing? I know we need center more than anything but I think if there’s an opportunity to take a winger and add the thing this team needs the most(skill) it would be dumb not to. Plus I like how kunin has been playing down the middle.
As much as i want a C, and think that this is the year to get one, you get the best offensive talent you can. I think that Ek, Kunin, and Greenway are going to be solid two way players. We need some magic. Hopefully KK can deliver some at the NHL level. Both Brink's and Kaliyev's numbers look pretty crazy...if they are there and none of Krebs, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Suzuki, or Newhook are there then you have to consider them.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
As much as i want a C, and think that this is the year to get one, you get the best offensive talent you can. I think that Ek, Kunin, and Greenway are going to be solid two way players. We need some magic. Hopefully KK can deliver some at the NHL level. Both Brink's and Kaliyev's numbers look pretty crazy...if they are there and none of Krebs, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Suzuki, or Newhook are there then you have to consider them.
what was the knock on Kaliyev? i thought i read somewhere on these forums that his D game is horrendous or something similar to that?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
what was the knock on Kaliyev? i thought i read somewhere on these forums that his D game is horrendous or something similar to that?
Skating and disinterest in the Defensive zone. He is not alone in that...Major junior is filled with kids trying to pump up their offensive stats in order to get noticed, often at the expense of their d game. Once kids are drafted, the big club often tells them to work on their all round game.

Kaliyev seems to have some similarities to Sokolov. Much more success earlier, though, and despite having a Russian name, Kaliyev is American, so he won't have the same adjustment problems to a new culture and language. Also, Hamilton(Kaliyev's team) isn't Sudbury(Sokolov's team). Hamilton is a decent sized city itself, and is only a 45 minute drive from Toronto.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just compared his USHL numbers to a lot of recent 1st round draft picks (a lot of USNTDP guys and just the USHL portion their stats). A limited sample size admittedly, but wow does he compare incredibly favorably to some big names: Keller, Larkin, Tuch, Connor, Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras all in their draft years. But even guys like Matthews, the Tkachuk brothers and Eichel (though they were a full year younger). Not trying to go overboard with the latter comparisons, and it's almost 100% stat watching, but I find it pretty interesting.
Unfortunately his stats are SO good that he attracting a lot of attention. I don't think he will be available for a late 1st rounder, let alone a 2nd. We'll see how the season plays out.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Skating and disinterest in the Defensive zone. He is not alone in that...Major junior is filled with kids trying to pump up their offensive stats in order to get noticed, often at the expense of their d game. Once kids are drafted, the big club often tells them to work on their all round game.

Kaliyev seems to have some similarities to Sokolov. Much more success earlier, though, and despite having a Russian name, Kaliyev is American, so he won't have the same adjustment problems to a new culture and language. Also, Hamilton(Kaliyev's team) isn't Sudbury(Sokolov's team). Hamilton is a decent sized city itself, and is only a 45 minute drive from Toronto.
good to know. he seems to be at a healthy weight so the conditioning shouldnt be the same as i read he has above average speed. watched a 10 min highlight. a lot of his goals seem to be rebounds but he is in the right place at the right time and finishes. something we do need. i dislike lefthandedness for current roster but as a future 2-3 years down the road i have zero issue with picking him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would love to get a late 1st so we can look at getting Leason, or a Brink if he is still available.

Any of the European guys on here have a lead on some good, but under the radar players?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i agree kaliyev reminds me of sokolov and while the speed isn't there man if we could have a 3rd line that scores a ton how sweet would that be. i know our #1 need is a stud C and if newhook has speed im good with that. im currently assuming we pick between 10-14.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would love to get a late 1st so we can look at getting Leason, or a Brink if he is still available.

Any of the European guys on here have a lead on some good, but under the radar players?
Russo reported on his podcast that Fenton had an offer of a 1st + prospect from Boston for Staal and he denied it. Do with the information what you will.

I would also be a big fan of selecting Dorofeyev with an added first if he’s available.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo reported on his podcast that Fenton had an offer of a 1st + prospect from Boston for Staal and he denied it. Do with the information what you will.

I would also be a big fan of selecting Dorofeyev with an added first if he’s available.
Staal denied it?

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think it was implied that Fenton decided not to do it, since it doesn't appear as though Boston was on Staal's no trade list. I'm guessing he used it as leverage to get Staal to agree to that new deal. Who knows for sure, though.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

the same russo who reported after they watched staal play they didnt want him anymore?

Reactions: 2Pair

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ah.

Well, the Nihlist in me would have been glad to send Staal away in order to get a #1 and a prospect. No problem with having Staal around, though , especially at the price he has re-signed for. He has been nothing but a class act, and if he puts in a couple more decent seasons might be a HOF'er.

I think he is a guy who has to dedicate himself to training in the off season, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad