2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wonder what might have been with him if he had found a college program? For those who don't check on him, he's getting eaten alive in the Czech Second division.

Goes to what I was saying about 2017 earlier: too few picks. With expansion the available pool for goalies is very shallow and getting worse.

Goaltender is high on the GM's to-do list.

Goalies are such a crap shoot to begin with. Using a 1st on one is like putting all your money on boxcars for me.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Goalies are such a crap shoot to begin with. Using a 1st on one is like putting all your money on boxcars for me.

Totally agree but when you get a guy - like Spencer Knight - who's rated in that range it's hard to pass up the opportunity.

It really has been an issue for the Wild. They've tried interesting tactics - Dennis Endras and the Hungarian kid, for example - but Dubynk - a 1st rounder - remains the franchise starter.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Totally agree but when you get a guy - like Spencer Knight - who's rated in that range it's hard to pass up the opportunity.

It really has been an issue for the Wild. They've tried interesting tactics - Dennis Endras and the Hungarian kid, for example - but Dubynk - a 1st rounder - remains the franchise starter.

Do the Wild even have the coaches to properly develop a goalie?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Do the Wild even have the coaches to properly develop a goalie?

Ehhh... well so much of the development is going to happen before they turn pro, who knows?

The way the league is going, maybe the big blockers like Dubnyk, Bishop, Rinne give way to smaller guys who can make the more acrobatic saves to keep the game 7-5.

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
I know everyone is upset about this year, but I guess I'm an optimist down the line. The Wild have a chance to drop 5 spots in the league standings this week. That would solidify a top ten pick if we continue this path. There are 4-7 center options that are ranked in the top 10 on most people's lists. Not in any order besides Jack Hughes, 1. Jack Hughes, 2. Dylan Cozens, 3. Peyton Krebs, 4. Kirby Dach, 5. Alex Turcotte, 6. Trevor Zegras, and 7. Alex Newhook. That's incredible to think about since we are in such dire need for a center prospect with Top 6 or better potential. I'm more than fine with giving up on the season, especially with the injuries to Koivu and Dumba. I would listen to offers mainly just to Staal and Fehr for picks/prospects at the deadline. I'm not sure I would blow everything up even though we have had a lot of data with our playoff runs the last 6 years. I would say lick your wounds this year, and see what opportunities there are around draft time for trades.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
zegras or newhook would be fine if they drop to 10-14 (im assuming that's where we pick). i still have my eye on kaliyev age 17 ohl 57gms 47G 44A 91pts compare to sokolov age 17 ohl 68gms 30G 22A 52pts. i still have high hopes for sokolov.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Our March and April schedule:

3 against Nashville (1 on the road)
Calgary, Tampa Bay, Washington and Vegas on the road
Islanders, Jets Sharks and Bruins at home
At Carolina on the 2nd half of a back-to-back
Home-and-home with Dallas

Does anybody see even 2 wins in those 14 games with what they've seen lately?

Remaining games of Florida (road), Arizona (road), Colorado (home) and the Rangers (home) definitely aren't any better than Detroit, New Jersey or Anaheim at home, to which we've seen the results.

Honestly, I think things are lined up for a top 3 pick, maybe the #1 (barring the lottery of course)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Remaining games of Florida (road), Arizona (road), Colorado (home) and the Rangers (home) definitely aren't any better than Detroit, New Jersey or Anaheim at home, to which we've seen the results.

Honestly, I think things are lined up for a top 3 pick, maybe the #1 (barring the lottery of course)
Yeah, but this team has been so bloody weird...losing to absolutely crap teams, then beating good ones. Just waiting for injuries to Suter/Spurgeon or Parise, to make this shitshow complete.

As far as the draft is concerned, I just want forward talent. A talented C would be great, but if that Podolzin is around, I'd take him. Whoever can put the puck in the net. The more I read about Kaliyev, the less I want him. Speed seems to be an issue with him.

Also want Fenton to get as many 2nds as possible. Would like to spend one on Brinkman, maybe(still not sure about him, but he seems to be improving on the Gophers-production is held down because he doesn't get PP TOI), and yet more forwards. Maybe take a chance on a smaller, but very skilled, fast player, like DeBrincat, Madden, and the host of little guys they have down in Tampa.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, but this team has been so bloody weird...losing to absolutely crap teams, then beating good ones. Just waiting for injuries to Suter/Spurgeon or Parise, to make this ****show complete.

As far as the draft is concerned, I just want forward talent. A talented C would be great, but if that Podolzin is around, I'd take him. Whoever can put the puck in the net. The more I read about Kaliyev, the less I want him. Speed seems to be an issue with him.

Also want Fenton to get as many 2nds as possible. Would like to spend one on Brinkman, maybe(still not sure about him, but he seems to be improving on the Gophers-production is held down because he doesn't get PP TOI), and yet more forwards. Maybe take a chance on a smaller, but very skilled, fast player, like DeBrincat, Madden, and the host of little guys they have down in Tampa.

Bobby Brink, come on down!

He's probably going in the back half of the 1st round though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Bobby Brink, come on down!

He's probably going in the back half of the 1st round though.
Yeah, he's in an awkward spot for the Wild. Still, if you think he is something special, you get him. He's an argument for making a trade for mid late 1st. Is Brink that fast? I keep thinking that we could've had Walker for a 6th rounder ...it's not like he was an unknown commodity around in MN. The guy has always had wheels and skill.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, he's in an awkward spot for the Wild. Still, if you think he is something special, you get him. He's an argument for making a trade for mid late 1st. Is Brink that fast? I keep thinking that we could've had Walker for a 6th rounder ...it's not like he was an unknown commodity around in MN. The guy has always had wheels and skill.

Yeah, speed and skill is always nice. But with all due respect to him, there's very little separating him from Rau or Kloos or Besse when they were in/just-out-of high school.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Team is weird, depends on who we sell or buy at the deadline. I could see a few wins sprinkled here and there, but I don't see a complete collapse.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
None of those other guys were slow, and I don't know if I'd consider Walker a blazer.

I'm not saying that didn't wish he was our prospect, but I don't know if I'd separate him from 25-30 other later round picks from his year that we could've had.
I think I would. Kid is pretty F'n fast. Agree that he isn't anything special as an NHL prospect though

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
None of those other guys were slow, and I don't know if I'd consider Walker a blazer.

I'm not saying that didn't wish he was our prospect, but I don't know if I'd separate him from 25-30 other later round picks from his year that we could've had.
Walker is a very fast, and very good skater. It's obvious on every shift he has taken with the Gophers, and been commented on ad nauseum. He would be fast in the NHL.

Anyway, spilt milk. The point is to go out and get more of that ilk of player, and less Kurtis Gabriels.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I just compared his USHL numbers to a lot of recent 1st round draft picks (a lot of USNTDP guys and just the USHL portion their stats). A limited sample size admittedly, but wow does he compare incredibly favorably to some big names: Keller, Larkin, Tuch, Connor, Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras all in their draft years. But even guys like Matthews, the Tkachuk brothers and Eichel (though they were a full year younger). Not trying to go overboard with the latter comparisons, and it's almost 100% stat watching, but I find it pretty interesting.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just compared his USHL numbers to a lot of recent 1st round draft picks (a lot of USNTDP guys and just the USHL portion their stats). A limited sample size admittedly, but wow does he compare incredibly favorably to some big names: Keller, Larkin, Tuch, Connor, Hughes, Turcotte, Zegras all in their draft years. But even guys like Matthews, the Tkachuk brothers and Eichel (though they were a full year younger). Not trying to go overboard with the latter comparisons, and it's almost 100% stat watching, but I find it pretty interesting.
The crazy thing is that I'm pretty sure I watched him when he was younger, and multiple times. Just don't remember him. Development is a very hard thing to predict.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The crazy thing is that I'm pretty sure I watched him when he was younger, and multiple times. Just don't remember him. Development is a very hard thing to predict.
Pretty sure he came up through Chaska

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I believe Chicago and Colorado’s wins tonight puts us in the 9th spot. We’re comin! #LoseforHughes

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I believe Chicago and Colorado’s wins tonight puts us in the 9th spot. We’re comin! #LoseforHughes
lXWI5xA.gif

Edit: 10th in the West. 9th from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->