2019 Draft Thread: We Already Got a Kaapo

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You're right, this team needs more safe picks to add to the collection.
I never said anything about a safe-pick, per se. but with our recent drafts and Poor center depth going forward we can’t afford to mess this pick up for a RW. If we we’re going to draft a RW I think Brink would be a better bet anyways.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It's extremely risky drafting a kid that isn't even the best player on his own line in juniors
It's not as risky if you do your due diligence in scouting. He's the definition of boom or bust. He's not a safe pick. He could be a 40 goal scorer or never reach the NHL at all. I'm just sick of the status quo: big, high character, mediocre offensive skill, great defensively, etc.
I never said anything about a safe-pick, per se. but with our recent drafts and Poor center depth going forward we can’t afford to mess this pick up for a RW. If we we’re going to draft a RW I think Brink would be a better bet anyways.
Why?

Reactions: Danny Rayburn

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not as risky if you do your due diligence in scouting. He's the definition of boom or bust. He's not a safe pick. He could be a 40 goal scorer or never reach the NHL at all. I'm just sick of the status quo: big, high character, mediocre offensive skill, great defensively, etc.

Why?
That hasn't been the "status quo" though. Just because guys didn't become superstars doesn't mean they didn't have that potential when drafted.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Why?
Because Brink:
A. Is Bigger. He still not a big guy, but it’s a lot less risky than a 5’6 player.
B. He drives his own line in the USHL. Caufield has 39 points in 24 games, Brink has 47 in 33. Production is roughly the same, but I’ll take the guy who factors in on more of his team’s goals and doesn’t play with Jack Hughes.
C. Brink is... very young. He been a riser this year and is just a Junior in High school. Brink is just barely too old for the 2020 draft. It might not be a big deal to some, but I’d have to believe that if he was eligible for next years drsft people would talking about him as a top 5 pick.

It’s all opinion and I’m no scout, but let’s say for a minute that caufield does hit his ceiling, and that’s a big IF, I’d rather draft a 1C than a 40g 20a winger.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And Bobby Brink is a way cooler name. Plus, we could also draft Brinkman, and really confuse Greenlay. And Caufield has a weird name...i mean, isn't it missing an "L"?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Because Brink:
A. Is Bigger. He still not a big guy, but it’s a lot less risky than a 5’6 player.
B. He drives his own line in the USHL. Caufield has 39 points in 24 games, Brink has 47 in 33. Production is roughly the same, but I’ll take the guy who factors in on more of his team’s goals and doesn’t play with Jack Hughes.
C. Brink is... very young. He been a riser this year and is just a Junior in High school. Brink is just barely too old for the 2020 draft. It might not be a big deal to some, but I’d have to believe that if he was eligible for next years drsft people would talking about him as a top 5 pick.

It’s all opinion and I’m no scout, but let’s say for a minute that caufield does hit his ceiling, and that’s a big IF, I’d rather draft a 1C than a 40g 20a winger.
A. Size doesn’t mean jack.
B. Factors on more of his team’s goals? I can’t tell if that’s a joke or not. Caufield has over double the second leading scorer’s goals for the USDP. With your logic, does that mean you’d also take Brink over Boldy/Zegras/Turcotte with position being disregarded? All are projected top 10 picks that have produced less than Caufield.
C. You’re making an assumption that I highly doubt would ring true.

Brink isn’t a center. And sure, if there is a Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs/etc available then go for it.

Also, it was joked about earlier but Broberg would be a better pick than Caufield or Brink. Don’t kid yourselves. I’ve said it before a few times, this is one of those drafts to have multiple 1st round picks. Hell of a lot of good players.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
A. Size doesn’t mean jack.
B. Factors on more of his team’s goals? I can’t tell if that’s a joke or not. Caufield has over double the second leading scorer’s goals for the USDP. With your logic, does that mean you’d also take Brink over Boldy/Zegras/Turcotte with position being disregarded? All are projected top 10 picks that have produced less than Caufield.
C. You’re making an assumption that I highly doubt would ring true.

Brink isn’t a center. And sure, if there is a Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs/etc available then go for it.

Also, it was joked about earlier but Broberg would be a better pick than Caufield or Brink. Don’t kid yourselves. I’ve said it before a few times, this is one of those drafts to have multiple 1st round picks. Hell of a lot of good players.

Size means a little bit to me and I think most would agree that his being 5’6 makes him a huge risk. It’s not like he’s 5’9, or 5’8. He’s 5’6. Compile a list of 5’6 players drafted that made it to the NHL please.

And by factors in on more goals I simply meant he has a hand in a Higher percent of his team’s goals when he’s in the lineup. This stat I’m looking at to compare them is they USHL games played. The musketeers are averaging under 3 goals/game this year while the u18s are averaging almost 5/game.

This is simply just my opinion. And I agree with you, this is a very good draft to have 2 or 3 first round picks. I would even say it would be a good idea to have an extra second.

Does caufield being a sconnie boy have anything to do with your wanting to draft him?

Reactions: Rabid Husky

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
if you had a choice would you pick him over kaliyev?

If this was directed to me, my answer would be I have no idea. I have seen both of them play a total of zero times.

I just have a hard time believing that Hughes bounced 51 pucks off of Caufield's ass and into the net.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Does caufield being a sconnie boy have anything to do with your wanting to draft him?
Find me even one mock draft that has Brink over Caufield. I know of Caufield because he is a UW recruit and went to the high school that my university shares a city with. The last time I really wanted a UW player was Luke Kunin and he really seems to be growing into an NHL player at 21. Getting back to the original argument of Brink vs Caufield. I'm not going to pretend to have seen Brink or Caufield play much at all. I tend to listen to expert opinion and watch highlights. Caufield is a mainstay in the 15-22 range for almost every mock draft that I look at and currently the range the Wild *could* be in. I'm finding a lot of these same mock drafts don't even have Brink being drafted in the 1st round. Call bias all you want, that doesn't magically make Brink a better player than Caufield.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, if we lose tomorrow then we'll be picking at least as high as 11th. If PHI wins or goes to OT, then we'll pick 10th. If we win and CHI loses then we pick 12th. Hoping for a loss and a PHI win. A 10oa would likely give us a shot at a good C (i.e. Krebs, Zegras, maybe Newhook). I just can't see Byram and Soderstrom being passed up by many teams, and Podkolzin, Boldy, and KK will be picked before #10, I think?

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Well, if we lose tomorrow then we'll be picking at least as high as 11th. If PHI wins or goes to OT, then we'll pick 10th. If we win and CHI loses then we pick 12th. Hoping for a loss and a PHI win. A 10oa would likely give us a shot at a good C (i.e. Krebs, Zegras, maybe Newhook). I just can't see Byram and Soderstrom being passed up by many teams, and Podkolzin, Boldy, and KK will be picked before #10, I think?
Picking 10th guarantees us a good player.

Let’s say it goes something like this in any order:

1.J.Hughes
2.KK
3.Cozens
4.Byram
5.Turcotte
6. Dach
7. Podkolzin
8.Zegras
9.Boldy

@ 10 we could select either Krebs or Newhook. I would probably lean towards Krebs, but I’d be happy with either. Even if the draft goes differently and one of those players is selected, at least we know one of the above listed players has to become available.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Wading into that discussion a bit - I have seen Kaliyev, Boldy, and Caufield all play a couple times (4-5 games each) and have only seen Brink play once so I wont include him. But for me:

Boldy >>> Kaliyev > Caufield

I would be very happy with any of them.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I’m gonna start putting prospects reports and videos on here for prospects that could be available when we draft in case wild fans want to do a little scouting before the draft.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Peyton Krebs:

The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: C Peyton Krebs

Peyton Krebs | Peyton Krebs Profile | Peyton Krebs Scouting Report 2019

Peyton Krebs

Per Pronman of the Athletic:
“Krebs is in a tough situation on a rebuilding Kootenay team this season, but he’s been everything that team could have hoped for. He’s an all-situations center, an 18-year-old captain and a consistent offensive threat. Krebs is a great skater and also a fantastic playmaker. He’s always looking to make a play and has some of the most creative dishes I’ve seen this season. Krebs is also a competitive defensive forward who can kill penalties and be trusted to do so in the pros”

If anyone has any reports or opinions please do put them in here

Reactions: Minnesota

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Philip Broberg:

Many in the scouting industry believe that he is a surefire top pair defensman.

NHL Prospect Profile: Philip Broberg

https://thehockeywriters.com/philip-broberg-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

“Broberg is a 6-foot-3 defenseman who is an elite skater which makes him scary to defend when he’s barreling up the ice with speed. There are some rushes he’s made this season where the opposition didn’t even have a chance to get a stick on the puck. Broberg is divisive due to his offensive upside. He’s not a flashy puck handler and his vision is just fine, but there is some offense to his game. He moves the puck decent on the power play and flashes a tier above as a distributor. If you’re expecting more, you’ll be disappointed; but if you want a two-way defenseman with size who can close a gap and transition the offense at a high level, he’s your man” (Pronman, The Athletic).

Kid can really skate and, in my opinion, is the top defensmen available in the draft. Reminds me of Brodin but with 40 point offensive potential.

If anyone has any articles or thoughts please do add them.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Krebs, a lot. He can pass, but also shoots, and can skate really well. Unlike Zegras, who was on a stacked team, he had to create most of the offense. After Hughes, I'd probably go Turcotte, then Krebs.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
What about Boldy impressed you more than Kaliyev?

Boldy, to me, is a two way forward who looks like he could put up 30g+40a, be a stud penalty killer, and a leader. He isn't overly physical but knows how to play the body and use that big frame to his advantage. He probably shouldn't be the best player on your team, but if you have a good enough team, he will be the reason you win the Cup. Basically, he is everything Coyle is, was supposed to be, and more. He is independent enough that I don't think his development will be ruined no matter what team he goes to. He'll just be successful. I read a comparison earlier today to Patrice Bergeron - I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely like the guy.

Kaliyev is that top line winger who scores 40+ goals - while also being liable for nearly just as many over the course of the season. He will be the guy you throw out in dying minutes, hoping that he scores to tie it up or win it. And he just may do that, but probably as often he'll be out of position and a scoring chance will go the other way. If he's the best player on your team you're probably in trouble, but if he was playing with a guy like Granlund - you'd have a top-5 line in the NHL. I think a lot of his success will depend on where he goes and who he plays with. If he has a good coaching staff and player leadership group that can help him get rid of bad habits and caring even a tiny bit more about the defensive part of the game, he will be a tremendous player.

Caufield is a bit in the middle of them. I don't think he'll score as many as Kaliyev - but he won't be the reason you lose games, either. I like him a lot - DeBrincat 2.0 if things go well. He will depend on his teammates a lot - I don't think he'll be the driver of offense - but he will make things happen.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Boldy, to me, is a two way forward who looks like he could put up 30g+40a, be a stud penalty killer, and a leader. He isn't overly physical but knows how to play the body and use that big frame to his advantage. He probably shouldn't be the best player on your team, but if you have a good enough team, he will be the reason you win the Cup. Basically, he is everything Coyle is, was supposed to be, and more. He is independent enough that I don't think his development will be ruined no matter what team he goes to. He'll just be successful. I read a comparison earlier today to Patrice Bergeron - I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely like the guy.

Kaliyev is that top line winger who scores 40+ goals - while also being liable for nearly just as many over the course of the season. He will be the guy you throw out in dying minutes, hoping that he scores to tie it up or win it. And he just may do that, but probably as often he'll be out of position and a scoring chance will go the other way. If he's the best player on your team you're probably in trouble, but if he was playing with a guy like Granlund - you'd have a top-5 line in the NHL. I think a lot of his success will depend on where he goes and who he plays with.

Caufield is a bit in the middle of them. I don't think he'll score as many as Kaliyev - but he won't be the reason you lose games, either. I like him a lot - DeBrincat 2.0 if things go well. He will depend on his teammates a lot - I don't think he'll be the driver of offense - but he will make things happen.
Boldy sounds like Marion Hossa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad