Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Part 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Why? It's an offseason injury, one that a young player should recover fully from, and he won't miss any key development time. I don't see this affecting his draft stock much.
It dosen’t matter if it’s offseason or not, it’s one of te toughest injuries to come back from and probably THEY toughest to get back to 100%. Hell I’d argue Karlsson was never the same after his injury.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It dosen’t matter if it’s offseason or not, it’s one of te toughest injuries to come back from and probably THEY toughest to get back to 100%. Hell I’d argue Karlsson was never the same after his injury.

He's a 17 year old kid and with medical advances, these injuries aren't as fatalistic as they used to be. I'd be more concerned if it was a back injury or concussion. Apparently it's only a partial tear and he won't even miss any regular season time most likely. He'll be fine and I'd have no problem drafting at 8.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
315F04BD-E834-41E9-87E0-C9BF42AB3463.jpeg

Reactions: KYams17

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
McDraiCaufield would be the best top line in the league. They would probably be good for ~2 goals a game. We have other prospects coming up, like Benson, Maksimov, McLeod, the fact is that you don't draft players based on 'having too much of that type'. Not only are they completely different players, but in a couple years our team could look completely different. Couldn't we use a RHS pure sniper, who is also a great skater and solid passer. So what if he's small? determined by size.
The bolded is just flat out incorrect, he’s going to need to work on both those things, when your Caufields size you can’t just be a + skater, you need to be notches above everyone else in terms of foot speed when your playing pro players with longer strides, and his passing is not solid, to play on that team and only put up 28 assists is subpar.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Last year there was a strange trend to pick small skilled players. This caused some drastic drops that were very unusual.

One constant, even/especially last year, is to value centers with size and/or talent.

I believe this draft will play out more traditionally compared to last. Maybe one surprise pick in the top 8 with basically every center getting snatched up asap.

I hope there are a few surprises so the Oilers can pick the center they want but think the good ones will be gone.

I agree. It probably going to be more traditional in that regard to dramatic rise and falls. I just think there are more names in the conversation and and a bigger variance is some of the prospect in the top 15 then last year. Both drafts have be more interesting to me then years prior.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The bolded is just flat out incorrect, he’s going to need to work on both those things, when your Caufields size you can’t just be a + skater, you need to be notches above everyone else in terms of foot speed when your playing pro players with longer strides

DeBrincat was not a + skater either, he's doing fine. I was really skeptical about DeBrincat because of his size and lack of skating but he's proving me wrong. I don't see why Caufield can't be as successful.
and his passing is not solid, to play on that team and only put up 28 assists is subpar.

Here we go again...Caufield scored 72 goals. The next closest to him on his team had 34 goals. What do you want him to do? Refuse to score so he can even out his assist totals? :laugh:

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Leading up to the draft, I've essentially ignored D in the first round with the assumption that we'd likely end up with a forward.

I've seen Nurse and Broberg compared before, but how similar are they really? If I'm selecting a D, I'd much prefer a guy who can make a great first pass vs the guy who can rush the puck out. How good is Broberg's passing? Offensively, I prefer the guy who has good vision and offensive awareness in the O-zone vs a guy with a really good point shot. How good is Broberg at jumping up into the play? He's definitely got the skating for it.

From what I recall at the U18's, Broberg looked like a solid prospect. Like a good bet to become a top-4 D who is good in his own zone, skates the puck out of danger.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
DeBrincat was not a + skater either, he's doing fine. I was really skeptical about DeBrincat because of his size and lack of skating but he's proving me wrong. I don't see why Caufield can't be as successful.

Here we go again...Caufield scored 72 goals. The next closest to him on his team had 34 goals. What do you want him to do? Refuse to score so he can even out his assist totals? :laugh:
Debrincat was definitely I worse skater for sure but he also had vision that kept defenders guessing and made him self a force on the forcheck based off a strong work ethic.

We both know 72 goals isn’t going to transfer to the NHL and I don’t think he has playmaking ability to fall back on, which makes him only a threat to shoot which will be far easily defended by players. He’s just not versatile enough to be a top 20 player for me.

Reactions: B33K33PING

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Leading up to the draft, I've essentially ignored D in the first round with the assumption that we'd likely end up with a forward.

I've seen Nurse and Broberg compared before, but how similar are they really? If I'm selecting a D, I'd much prefer a guy who can make a great first pass vs the guy who can rush the puck out. How good is Broberg's passing? Offensively, I prefer the guy who has good vision and offensive awareness in the O-zone vs a guy with a really good point shot. How good is Broberg at jumping up into the play? He's definitely got the skating for it.

From what I recall at the U18's, Broberg looked like a solid prospect. Like a good bet to become a top-4 D who is good in his own zone, skates the puck out of danger.

Im pretty sure I compared them.....or I said I thought Broberg is probably a better defender pre draft year.

OF course I know very little...about even the simplest of things.....I just think his skating might be better and his IQ....as he's playing in a pro league already.

I can't remember I assume Nurse's wjc was in his draft +1.....in which he was pretty dominant but its hard to compare them.

Rambling on...if you were indeed referring to my comparison....I think my point was Nurse is valued more than a previous top 10 forward in most drafts save a few of the home runs. So if you think Broberg is on that level he would be a safer pick.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Debrincat was definitely I worse skater for sure but he also had vision that kept defenders guessing and made him self a force on the forcheck based off a strong work ethic.

We both know 72 goals isn’t going to transfer to the NHL and I don’t think he has playmaking ability to fall back on, which makes him only a threat to shoot which will be far easily defended by players. He’s just not versatile enough to be a top 20 player for me.

He has the best shot I've seen out of any prospect apart from Laine in recent years. It's incredibly accurate and he can literally score from anywhere. What makes you think that that ability won't translate? Any time he gets the puck in a remotely dangerous scoring position he'll be a threat to score. That elite level of goal-scoring is not something that can just be easily stopped or shut down.

I don't think his playmaking is bad, he's just primarily a shooter, but he can dish the puck too. I've seen more playmaking ability from him than from Podkolzin as an example. But either way his job will be to score goals in the NHL, and with how smart he is and how good he is at finding the open spaces, I don't see how that part of his game won't translate.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Lets put this into context. Cole Caufield has the record for goals in a single season at 72, next closest is Auston Matthews at 55. Cole Caufield is tied with Kessel for 3rd in the NTDP all time points at 180, and leads them for all time goals at 126. This guy is skilled, his ability to get the puck up high in tight will allow him to score a ton of goals. Theres some things in his game I don't like, mainly how he cherry picks. But overall this is a very dangerous scorer who IMO rivals some of the best who have ever come out of the NTDP. You don't pass on a potential 40+ goal scorer if he's there at 8 because of size.

Last edited:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
He has the best shot I've seen out of any prospect apart from Laine in recent years. It's incredibly accurate and he can literally score from anywhere. What makes you think that that ability won't translate? Any time he gets the puck in a remotely dangerous scoring position he'll be a threat to score. That elite level of goal-scoring is not something that can just be easily stopped or shut down.

I don't think his playmaking is bad, he's just primarily a shooter, but he can dish the puck too. I've seen more playmaking ability from him than from Podkolzin as an example. But either way his job will be to score goals in the NHL, and with how smart he is and how good he is at finding the open spaces, I don't see how that part of his game won't translate.
I’ll think it’ll translate but not at the rate he’s been scoring in the USDP. He’s not keeping a 30% shooting percentage going into the NHL.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My rankings:

Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, Byram, Boldy, Caufield, Newhook, Krebs.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’d take Dach, Boldy, Broberg in that order.

I agree those are the 3 guys that should be our targets, I’d be very happy with any of those 3. I’m reasonably sure at least two of those three should be available.
I agree with the first two, but I'd take York over Broberg if it comes down to it. He brings an element our defense really lacks.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree with the first two, but I'd take York over Broberg if it comes down to it. He brings an element our defense really lacks.

I’ve been on the York train for a long time, if we like him I’d like to see us trade back for him. I think that Broberg is more of an all situations higher upside pick though, but I have liked York for a long time just not sure about at 8.

In fact, I’d be completely good with moving back a few places to grab some additional picks. There is very little separating a cluster of players after Hughes/Kakko that falling back to the middle of the 1st would be fine by me if the deal was right.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I’ve been on the York train for a long time, if we like him I’d like to see us trade back for him. I think that Broberg is more of an all situations higher upside pick though, but I have liked York for a long time just not sure about at 8.

In fact, I’d be completely good with moving back a few places to grab some additional picks. There is very little separating a cluster of players after Hughes/Kakko that falling back to the middle of the 1st would be fine by me if the deal was right.
I'd probably just go forward at 8. There's guaranteed to be at least one of Turcotte, Dach, Zegras, Boldy, or Caufield available at 8, assuming Hughes, Kakko, and Byram are all picked before us. I don't feel comfortable getting either one of York/Broberg at 8th, so unless we trade down, a forward is likely my pick.

Reactions: B33K33PING
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad