2019 Draft Thread Part 2 (Flyers have the 11th selection in the first round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I've seen USA 3 times and Canada 3 times in the U-18's. Let me spew a few thoughts on players with our draft in mind.

Canada:

Krebs centering Newhook and Cozens is Canada's #1 line.
Krebs... is pretty much what I was expecting. He looks the part of someone who could stick as a center in the NHL.
Cozens... does not look like a top 10 pick thus far. I felt the same seeing a few of his recent games when Lethbridge played Calgary (Zamula) in the playoffs. He's big and can skate, but hasn't shown anything that makes him special yet.
Newhook... has been a very pleasant surprise. Pretty heady and really fast. He looks like a player.

The Pelletier, Holloway, Tommasino line was beastly today. Although, I can't really discern who is the real driver on that line yet.

Jaimeson Rees is a real pain in the ass. His stock has to be rising. Very impressive.

Jordan Spence looks like someone who would make a decent 2nd rd pick for us as a right-handed defenseman. He's shown good skill and smarts. But I'm not sure Spence is quite as sturdy, or the skater, fellow RHD Kaedon Korczak is. But Korczak seemingly lacks the skill and smarts.

USA:

Boldy... is a stud. An easy pick for an NHL team. No chance he'll be available at 11.

Zegras... I'm not sure yet. He's a super fluid skater, but hasn't done much to stand out. He's coming off an injury, so wait and see with him. I'm sure he's capable of more.

Brink... I know everyone is fawning over Caufield, but Brink parachuting out of nowhere, throwing on a jersey, and kicking ass has been the most impressive feat of the tournament imo. He's the short USA player I find overall more impressive. In the offensive zone, he just does everything. Brink's feel, deceptiveness, and playmaking have me thinking he might legitimately run a 1st unit NHL PP on the half wall someday.

Beecher... has rushed the puck and taken it to the net a few times like a stud. I need to pay closer attention to him. He certainly has some raw traits you look for.

Edit:

I forgot to mention Samuel Poulin for Canada. His role has been limited, but he's made the best of it. I'm intrigued and would like to see more.

I agree with a lot of this. Seen the same amount, only comment is Cozens has also centered Pelletier and Newhook a lot.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Russ Cohen talked about trading 11th overall + a 2nd rounder + Frost for 6th overall to draft Caufield.

giphy.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The team voting draft is going on. Here are the results so far.

1. :devils Jack Hughes, C, USNTP 88.6%

2. :rangers Kappo Kakko, RW, TPS 94.0%

3. :hawksBowen Byram, D, Vancouver (WHL) 63.2%

4. :avs Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge (WHL) 32.6%

5. :kings Alex Turcotte, C, USNTP (Wisconsin Commit) 48.5%

6.:wingsKirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)

7. :sabresKrebs was their pick....barely beating Podkolzin

Reactions: BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I don't know why it hurts. Boldy is a very good prospect, as is Caufield. Not sure who I would go after at 11 if both on the board, but I would be happy with either.
It hurts because Caufield is a member of the 5’6 club and I want him on the flyers.

Reactions: VladDrag

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
They are going to trade the pick but instead of it being someone talked about (Subban, Trouba, Spurgeon, etc) it will be someone completely out of left field, like a Nazem Kadri.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Zegras is a steal at 8 or 9. Hoping we get him at 11.

At this rate in the HFboards draft I hope we get Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy, Newhook or Caufield in that order.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Zegras is a steal at 8 or 9. Hoping we get him at 11.

At this rate in the HFboards draft I hope we get Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy, Newhook or Caufield in that order.

Good news for us. Some great players there for sure. That pick has a ton of value.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Has Trouba done enough to be worthy of #11 AND a big contract extension? And losing a good D-man to the ED?
I'd go for Pesce over Trouba, has a good contract and is a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad