2019 Draft Thread Part 2 (Flyers have the 11th selection in the first round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
If Caufield is gone by 11, I'm already sold on trying to move the pick for someone like Spurgeon. Then sign a forward come Free agency to fill another hole.

Why? Caufield moving up also means someone else that is very good could be coming down. Boldy, Zegras, Krebs, Soderstrom. Why miss these guys?

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
If Caufield is gone by 11, I'm already sold on trying to move the pick for someone like Spurgeon. Then sign a forward come Free agency to fill another hole.
I think that's what they'll end up doing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
With the expansion draft upcoming & the type of prospects who will be available at 11, I think it would be a mistake to trade the pick.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
And for the record I think Spurgeon would be a great acquisition. However, I’d much prefer to do it in a roster-for-roster “hockey trade.”

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you trade pick 11 for Spurgeon you are pretty much guaranteeing we lose him in expansion trade in 2 years unless you trade ANOTHER 1st to Seattle to not take Spurgeon/Myers/Ghost. Poor asset management.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ok, Dave Scott.

Start banning people who suggest trading the pick for Spurgeon. I'm sick of it.

The idea of trading the pick to bolster the lineup before Giroux falls off a cliff has a lot of merit. Im personally fine keeping it and im fine trading it in the right deal. Undecided on whether Spurgeon is the right deal though.

Reactions: renberg and bauer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The 2020 1st (top 10 protected) and a lesser asset or two makes more sense than trading #11.
If you look at June trades, that is more than enough to land most of the players we'd want in trades.
Look at St Louis, happy to trade 1st rd picks expected to be later picks, and Tage Thompson, but I'll bet every team asked for Thomas and were told no. And if St Louis knew they'd be picking #14, they probably don't make the Schenn trade.

If things go right, we shouldn't be drafting in the top 20 for a long time, so why give away our last chance to get a young, cost controlled, top starter?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If you trade pick 11 for Spurgeon you are pretty much guaranteeing we lose him in expansion trade in 2 years unless you trade ANOTHER 1st to Seattle to not take Spurgeon/Myers/Ghost. Poor asset management.

A lot can happen between now and then and if improving the team for the next 2 seasons means they will have some difficult decisions to make around the Expansion draft, they will likely be fine with that.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
A lot can happen between now and then and if improving the team for the next 2 seasons means they will have some difficult decisions to make around the Expansion draft, they will likely be fine with that.

I honestly think that if we get someone like Boldy or Caufield, I think they'll be playing for the Flyers one year after being in college. I think they have that kind of skill.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I think it’s more likely the ones who will fall are Krebs and Podkolzin. I am thinking more and more Caufield and Boldy will be taken somewhere between 7-10.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The idea of trading the pick to bolster the lineup before Giroux falls off a cliff has a lot of merit. Im personally fine keeping it and im fine trading it in the right deal. Undecided on whether Spurgeon is the right deal though.

I disagree. This team needs to be built to give this new young core the absolute best chance to win a Cup. Not Claude Giroux.

This 11th pick is absolutely crucial. Picking up a kid top 6 scoring forward will help cement the rebuild. We need another high end weapon on offense. Someone that will help replace Giroux eventually. This might be our last chance to get it. Picking this high may not happen again for a while.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, in the end it depends on who you can get for that pick. If there's a good deal available, you do it.
Draft picks are assets and there are several rebuilding teams in the league right now.

Reactions: dag54 and Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I disagree. This team needs to be built to give this new young core the absolute best chance to win a Cup. Not Claude Giroux.

This 11th pick is absolutely crucial. Picking up a kid top 6 scoring forward will help cement the rebuild. We need another high end weapon on offense. Someone that will help replace Giroux eventually. This might be our last chance to get it. Picking this high may not happen again for a while.

Thats fine. It can go either way though. We could also miss out on a top notch NHLer that would give the Flyers many very good years starting right now so we can draft a prospect that never quite pans out.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just hope they don't screw up the pick like Hextall did taking Provorov over Rantanen in 2015. :whine:

I was always Team Rantanen. :thumbu: Could of grabbed Aho at 24 instead of Konency, as well. Two 80+ point Fins in one first round.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2015

The Bruins only got one current NHL regular out of picks #13, #14 and #15. Imagine how good they would be without reaching for Zboril (which I did think was a reasonable pick at the time), and Senyshyn (always a baffling selection). As well as Debrusk they could have got Chabot & Barzal, or Boeser and Konecny, or Connor and White, etc.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just hope they don't screw up the pick like Hextall did taking Provorov over Rantanen in 2015. :whine:

I was always Team Rantanen. :thumbu: Could of grabbed Aho at 24 instead of Konency, as well. Two 80+ point Fins in one first round.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 2015

I do sometimes wonder how we would probably be better off with taking Rantanen in 2015 and Heiskanen in 2017. Though there is no guarantee we finish in 13th draft slot after 16-17 season and move up to 2 if you replace Provorov with Rantanen.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@Magua what’s your thoughts on John Beecher as second rounder? He’s kind of buried in the stacked lineup.

Okay. I haven't watched a single u18 game. They're all on my DVR. :laugh:

But from old watches? Interesting skill-set for sure, and you're right, being buried could make him a nice sleeper. He's got 1st round tools for sure, even top 15-20 tools. 6'3-6'4 with smooth skating and soft hands? That's valuable.

I don't know if he's still at center, but he's always looked like a projectable wing to me. What I'll say, besides usage, is that he's someone who can improve on consistency. He doesn't always use his size enough, and I wouldn't call him a "cerebral" player necessarily, even if it's not bad. I think playing wing and focusing more on a simple goal scoring game will help him long-term. If he's there at 40 (I don't think he will be), he'd be high on the list. But I haven't seen his u18s or any games in the last few months.

We need another high end weapon on offense. Someone that will help replace Giroux eventually. This might be our last chance to get it. Picking this high may not happen again for a while.

You know I agree with your premise, so long as Fletch and Blech don't f*** it up. But I'm just not sure that player will be there -- even if we get a good one -- because that player is so hard to find. But, hey, maybe we already have him. :snow:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I've seen USA 3 times and Canada 3 times in the U-18's. Let me spew a few thoughts on players with our draft in mind.

Canada:

Krebs centering Newhook and Cozens is Canada's #1 line.
Krebs... is pretty much what I was expecting. He looks the part of someone who could stick as a center in the NHL.
Cozens... does not look like a top 10 pick thus far. I felt the same seeing a few of his recent games when Lethbridge played Calgary (Zamula) in the playoffs. He's big and can skate, but hasn't shown anything that makes him special yet.
Newhook... has been a very pleasant surprise. Pretty heady and really fast. He looks like a player.

The Pelletier, Holloway, Tommasino line was beastly today. Although, I can't really discern who is the real driver on that line yet.

Jaimeson Rees is a real pain in the ass. His stock has to be rising. Very impressive.

Jordan Spence looks like someone who would make a decent 2nd rd pick for us as a right-handed defenseman. He's shown good skill and smarts. But I'm not sure Spence is quite as sturdy, or the skater, fellow RHD Kaedon Korczak is. But Korczak seemingly lacks the skill and smarts.

USA:

Boldy... is a stud. An easy pick for an NHL team. No chance he'll be available at 11.

Zegras... I'm not sure yet. He's a super fluid skater, but hasn't done much to stand out. He's coming off an injury, so wait and see with him. I'm sure he's capable of more.

Brink... I know everyone is fawning over Caufield, but Brink parachuting out of nowhere, throwing on a jersey, and kicking ass has been the most impressive feat of the tournament imo. He's the short USA player I find overall more impressive. In the offensive zone, he just does everything. Brink's feel, deceptiveness, and playmaking have me thinking he might legitimately run a 1st unit NHL PP on the half wall someday.

Beecher... has rushed the puck and taken it to the net a few times like a stud. I need to pay closer attention to him. He certainly has some raw traits you look for.

Edit:

I forgot to mention Samuel Poulin for Canada. His role has been limited, but he's made the best of it. I'm intrigued and would like to see more.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Okay. I haven't watched a single u18 game. They're all on my DVR. :laugh:

But from old watches? Interesting skill-set for sure, and you're right, being buried could make him a nice sleeper. He's got 1st round tools for sure, even top 15-20 tools. 6'3-6'4 with smooth skating and soft hands? That's valuable.

I don't know if he's still at center, but he's always looked like a projectable wing to me. What I'll say, besides usage, is that he's someone who can improve on consistency. He doesn't always use his size enough, and I wouldn't call him a "cerebral" player necessarily, even if it's not bad. I think playing wing and focusing more on a simple goal scoring game will help him long-term. If he's there at 40 (I don't think he will be), he'd be high on the list. But I haven't seen his u18s or any games in the last few months.

It will be interesting to track some of these guys next year. Pretty much the whole team is draft worthy which is never the case so that’s balanced out the ice time/usage way more than they typically do. I’m kind of wondering who moves on to the NCAA/CHL next year & shows more than they have to this point with better usage/ice time.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Someone in the top ten is going to take Caufield. Debrincat opened the door for him. Someone will draft him thinking that he'll be instant offense. That will just push a talent further down the draft to the Flyers. Poldkozin is too good to slip out of the top ten. With the defensive needs of the top ten teams, someone probably will nab Soderstrom. The result is that #11 is going to yield a better player than earlier thought. It's almost too good to trade. Boldly, Newhook, Zegras or Soderstrom if he's there, is hard to let slip by. Especially with JOB's career going sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad