2019 Draft Thread Part 2 (Flyers have the 11th selection in the first round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Last year we prayed Farabee would fall to #14.
This year it may be which dream do we choose?

Or why picking in the top ten (or #11 in a good year) matters, and why you don't trade that pick.
Huge gap between the top group each year and the next group, where you have to gamble and hope to get lucky (TK, Sanheim, Frost).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Krebs, Turcotte, Caufield, Boldy, Zegras... holy hell if any of them fall to 11, that would be a fantastic pull.
I have convinced myself they are taking Broberg. This is to desensitize my disappointment if they do take him, & heighten my pleasure if they take one of the multiple prospects I really like who will be available at 11.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I have convinced myself they are taking Broberg. This is to desensitize my disappointment if they do take him, & heighten my pleasure if they take one of the multiple prospects I really like who will be available at 11.
they have to take a defensemen, it's something that hextall should have done last year with the two picks in my opinion.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Whoever falls to us I hope that their IQ is off the charts. I like to have smart players that can play. Get them in the weight room, sour on them for not being good in 2-4 years because they should be superstars, then have them break out.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
they have to take a defensemen, it's something that hextall should have done last year with the two picks in my opinion.
I’m all for Soderstrom if he’s there & dependent on a look into his concussion history. But I don’t think there’s another defenseman I’d take at 11 over a few top notch forwards who stand to be available. *Maybe* I’d consider York, but I prefer a few of the forwards. I think D in this draft is better deferred to round 3 & on. That’s just based on my own reading of the prospects in the draft.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The fact Krebs somehow managed to get PPG on that team was very impressive in itself. He was involved in like 40% of all the goals they scored this year. And he did not rely on the PP like some other top guys. He got more assists per game than the 2nd+3rd highest assist getting on the team.

The team conceded 5 goals a game as well. He is a solid defensive player I think.

I mean, I don't think he is going to be a world beater or anything, but would be happy with him if he went #11.
Any chance you bless us on here with your top 12 list...or top 15?

:)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’m all for Soderstrom if he’s there & dependent on a look into his concussion history. But I don’t think there’s another defenseman I’d take at 11 over a few top notch forwards who stand to be available. *Maybe* I’d consider York, but I prefer a few of the forwards. I think D in this draft is better deferred to round 3 & on. That’s just based on my own reading of the prospects in the draft.
It certainly is looking like the BPA is going to be a F when our pick comes around. On paper, having Soderstrom with 2 years of experience come expansion time looks great. But we can't pass on a better forward just because of that.

Side note: Do we, or have we, ever do a poll leading up to the draft on our own board to get a consensus draft list? Like 15 days before the draft, have 1 day of drafting for each pick from 1-11...or even 1-15 choosing from a group of 30 guys. Can't remember if we ever do one ourselves. Just an idea.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Soderstrom would be the pick that I'd make if he checks out physically. However getting another forward that could put the biscuit in the basket would be hard to pass by. It looks like the FO is going to have to make a tough decision.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Harley should definitely be in the discussion. Soderstrom might be the better fit, but I think Harley has the potential to be the best defenseman from this draft someday. Some Chabot/Sanheim vibes.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Harley should definitely be in the discussion. Soderstrom might be the better fit, but I think Harley has the potential to be the best defenseman from this draft someday. Some Chabot/Sanheim vibes.

Looking at the stats for him and comparing him to other leagues in the CHL and other kids under 18, Byram is the only one with a better PPG. He started off slow last year in juniors but he really came into this year. I could see a Chabot out of him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm just going to keep riding on the Bobby Brink hype bus.

He has super high-end point production that stacks up favorably compared to other players, at the same age, who have become NHL stars coming from the USHL.

He has high-end hands. Both stick handling, passing, and a real quick, accurate shot. I'm not sure a more purely skilled forward exists in the draft outside the top 2.

Brink plays hard on the puck. He took 2 penalties vs Finland that would just be considered hard hockey plays here, but the IIHF calls it more conservatively. He gets to the net. He forechecks. He battles on the boards.

His IQ is evident. Brink parachuted into the U-18's, as the lone USNTDP outsider, and was trusted immediately in the top 6 with no practice time. They even used him in multiple spots on the PP.

Lastly, what makes him even more intriguing is upside. He seriously looks like a chubby little middle school kid. He's so young! A July birthday. Brink has so much room to mature. He will probably be a sturdy, wide, brick shit house when he fills out.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

He has super high-end point production that stacks up favorably compared to other players, at the same age, who have become NHL stars coming from the USHL.

He has high-end hands. Both stick handling, passing, and a real quick, accurate shot. I'm not sure a more purely skilled forward exists in the draft outside the top 2.

Brink plays hard on the puck. He took 2 penalties vs Finland that would just be considered hard hockey plays here, but the IIHF calls it more conservatively. He gets to the net. He forechecks. He battles on the boards.

His IQ is evident. Brink parachuted into the U-18's, as the lone USNTDP outsider, and was trusted immediately in the top 6 with no practice time. They even used him in multiple spots on the PP.

Lastly, what makes him even more intriguing is upside. He seriously looks like a chubby little middle school kid. He's so young! A July birthday. Brink has so much room to mature. He will probably be a sturdy, wide, brick **** house when he fills out.
Brink is very intriguing. I’d be excited if they took him, & not just because I’d nickname him “Truck.”

Reactions: Tripod

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Are there any players that are similar to marner and Barzal that can use their speed well to control time and space?
Hughes for sure, & we’ll be seeing a lot of it against Jersey.

Possibly Zegras, but I have to watch more of him.

Reactions: TheKingPin

flyersfan02

Mar 6, 2004
Georgia

Lastly, what makes him even more intriguing is upside. He seriously looks like a chubby little middle school kid. He's so young! A July birthday. Brink has so much room to mature. He will probably be a sturdy, wide, brick **** house when he fills out.

I see him like Brayden Point

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
Are there any players that are similar to marner and Barzal that can use their speed well to control time and space?

Maybe newhook too. Boston college commit.
Similar to barzal, but it comes down to competition, newhook is coming from the bchl. We shall see. A little leery about taking players out of lower tier leagues. Cale makar could just skate and that’s the main thing. Zegras is another too. At this point if an American is on the board, take him! Even in later rounds. Button praised the NTDP during the Canada vs Latvia game lol

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Whoever falls to us I hope that their IQ is off the charts. I like to have smart players that can play. Get them in the weight room, sour on them for not being good in 2-4 years because they should be superstars, then have them break out.

Yea this team needs speed and hockey IQ.

Hughes for sure, & we’ll be seeing a lot of it against Jersey.

Possibly Zegras, but I have to watch more of him.

Maybe newhook too. Boston college commit.
Similar to barzal, but it comes down to competition, newhook is coming from the bchl. We shall see. A little leery about taking players out of lower tier leagues. Cale makar could just skate and that’s the main thing. Zegras is another too. At this point if an American is on the board, take him! Even in later rounds. Button praised the NTDP during the Canada vs Latvia game lol

I liked Zegras a lot from what I saw.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yea this team needs speed and hockey IQ.

I liked Zegras a lot from what I saw.
I like him. But I need to watch more. Can’t put him at a Marner/Barzal level, as I was ENAMORED with both. I spent the 2 months before that draft raving about Barzal on here. I knew the Flyers were going D, but Barzal was my top choice. Could not fathom how he dropped to 16. I also loved TK, & said Boston should’ve gone Barzal, Connor, TK.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
this is what i have from viewing the U18 . USA players for now

marshall warren D would be a great pick in the second. not as offensive as york but makes wise decisions with the puck.

jonathan beecher C would be another great add in the second. speed and skill here, similar game to ryan poehling.

sean farrell F a nice complimentary player, still need to see more highlights to get a better idea.

patrick moynihan C i liked what i saw from him, some speed and skill

owen lindmark F good hands and overall talent could be a steal in late rounds, just needs to get faster.

jude caulfield F didnt notice him as much as the other listed above. work in progress

domenick fensore D made good plays and can skate well, he stood out well in the games i saw him play

alex vlasic D one player that stood out and not in a great way, needs to get faster his reach and size help for lack of speed,

thrun, mccarthy hellerson D all played well not many mistakes. good defenseman overall great picks in the late rounds.

Lots to love about these players in the U18.

Reactions: TheKingPin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team needs BPA.
They're adding Frost and Farabee, another forward is fine, or another D-man to go with Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim and Myers.
Only thing that doesn't make sense at #11 is a goalie, because they have a flood of young goalies behind Hart.

Reactions: hystyk1921

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I like him. But I need to watch more. Can’t put him at a Marner/Barzal level, as I was ENAMORED with both. I spent the 2 months before that draft raving about Barzal on here. I knew the Flyers were going D, but Barzal was my top choice. Could not fathom how he dropped to 16. I also loved TK, & said Boston should’ve gone Barzal, Connor, TK.

Yea man that would have been a HELL of a pull for one draft. An entire top line. Maybe one of the best in the league. Seemed like everyone was saying the same players. They were just trying too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad