Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It's tough because I want Caufield, but I also think Krebs would be such a good fit. Zegras is great as well and if Dach/Turcotte slips I'd have a hard time passing on them. There's just so many guys in our range that will be available to consider.

You'd like to scoop the works for the team wouldn't ya? :laugh:

I believe management should at least scoop up another first rounder in this draft or the next seeing how this team is today. Then possibly upgrade any one of the three.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I've been thinking about it for awhile and I think I'd prefer one of Turcotte, Zegras, or Krebs.

I wouldn't be upset with a couple of the other guys ranked around 8 but those three seem the most interesting to me in terms of Oilers needs.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
The draft could get really interesting...I wonder who drops? Krebs looks great out there and Caufield is killing it. I could see the following happen.
NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
CHI - Byram
COL - Turcotte
LAK - Dach
DET - Caufield
BUF - Krebs
EDM - Cozens, Podkolzin, Boldy, Zegras

Tough choices, but lots of options. I am getting more comfortable at 8 finding a really good player.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The draft could get really interesting...I wonder who drops? Krebs looks great out there and Caufield is killing it. I could see the following happen.
NJD - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
CHI - Byram
COL - Turcotte
LAK - Dach
DET - Caufield
BUF - Krebs
EDM - Cozens, Podkolzin, Boldy, Zegras

Tough choices, but lots of options. I am getting more comfortable at 8 finding a really good player.
Don't like the 1st two for Edmonton.

Reactions: Aerrol

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
After this tournament, unfortunately I don't see Caufield sticking around at 8.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Just because Caufield is small doesn’t mean he won’t produce in the playoffs. Plenty of small players are good in the playoffs. Marchand and Kane are great. Atkinson was a force this year.

It’s when they shy away from physical play they tend to disappear. Like Gaudreau.

Him or Krebs please.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Just because Caufield is small doesn’t mean he won’t produce in the playoffs. Plenty of small players are good in the playoffs. Marchand and Kane are great. Atkinson was a force this year.

It’s when they shy away from physical play they tend to disappear. Like Gaudreau.

Him or Krebs please.
A debrincat or Toews like player would be great fits for this team. I’ve warmed up to Caufield but if krebs is there I want him, firm believer you can never have too many centres

I’d take Dach or turcotte if they fall though

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I agree with Maroon. Gagner was a wash. Wideman was a loss.

The 3rd for Marody was OK (but you are effectively trading Marody for Maroon in this case - so the jury is still out)

Otherwise, you are going back 4 years for a history of trades that the Oilers may have won.

BTW Perron for the 1st was completely offset by the Reinhart trade.

In conclusion, this list of winning trades is brutal. Getting a 6th round pick for a bad free agent signing should not count as winning a trade.

So the NHL board of governs are forcing the Oilers to make bad trades ? Even if some teams want to screw the Oilers the Oilers can simply say no to a trade

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
I initially had a mock draft of:

1.)Devils - Hughes
2.)Rangers - Kakko
3.)Hawks - Byram
4.)Avalanche - Turcotte
5.)Kings - Dach
6.)Wings - Cozens
7.)Sabres - Zegras
8.)Oilers - Krebs

After watching Caufield play, I've readjusted (again, I've left Podkolzin out as I see him falling out of the top 10):

1.)Devils - Hughes
2.)Rangers - Kakko
3.)Hawks - Byram
4.)Avalanche - Turcotte
5.)Kings - Dach
6.)Wings - Caufield
7.)Sabres - Krebs
8.)Oilers - Cozens, Zegras, Boldy

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I initially had a mock draft of:

1.)Devils - Hughes
2.)Rangers - Kakko
3.)Hawks - Byram
4.)Avalanche - Turcotte
5.)Kings - Dach
6.)Wings - Cozens
7.)Sabres - Zegras
8.)Oilers - Krebs

After watching Caufield play, I've readjusted (again, I've left Podkolzin out as I see him falling out of the top 10):

1.)Devils - Hughes
2.)Rangers - Kakko
3.)Hawks - Byram
4.)Avalanche - Turcotte
5.)Kings - Dach
6.)Wings - Caufield
7.)Sabres - Krebs
8.)Oilers - Cozens, Zegras, Boldy

I agree with your revised top 5 (I agree that these are the top 5 - not sure about the selection order). It will be interesting what happens at 6 and 7.

I am hoping Krebs or Soderstrom (depending how he shows at U18), then Zegras.

For me, Cozens would be next (although I see possibly one or two teams taking him before 7).

I would avoid Podkolzin altogether (I would also avoid Caufield).

Boldy is a tier below.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I agree with your revised top 5 (I agree that these are the top 5 - not sure about the selection order). It will be interesting what happens at 6 and 7.

I am hoping Krebs or Soderstrom (depending how he shows at U18), then Zegras.

For me, Cozens would be next (although I see possibly one or two teams taking him before 7).

I would avoid Podkolzin altogether (I would also avoid Caufield).

Boldy is a tier below.
Can you please elaborate on why you think Boldy is a tier below?

I agree with everything else in your post, but I think Boldy should be right there with Caufield, Krebs, Zegras, Cozens, etc in the 7-10 spot. He looked pretty good setting up Caufield a few times so far in the U18s.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don't really understand the Leason hype. It's basically just because of the good story I feel that he's being ranked so high. When you consider that he's nearly 20 his numbers are not impressive. They are impressive when you look at 36 points to 89 but they are nothing special at all for a player his age as a 1st round pick/early 2nd rounder. He's also 6'4 and plays on a really good team, he should be dominating.

I see comparisons to Mark Stone but when Stone was Leason's age he had 123 points. I guess Leason is considered a safe bet to be a bottom 6 player but there's probably better upside out there.

I don’t really see the Stone comparison. For me he compares to a guy like Mantha, big guy who can shoot. His skating isn’t his best attribute but if you look at even last year he’s improved tremendously in that area. That’s my reasoning for wanting him with our second, he’s got a very steep development curve and I think it’s a good bet he could continue that. I don’t think he’s got high end upside but I think he’s a guy who can be a 20 goal scorer and middle 6 guy and that he’s likely to get there sooner rather then later.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Can you please elaborate on why you think Boldy is a tier below?

I agree with everything else in your post, but I think Boldy should be right there with Caufield, Krebs, Zegras, Cozens, etc in the 7-10 spot. He looked pretty good setting up Caufield a few times so far in the U18s.

He plays slow far too much. He needs to improve consistent high tempo of play. He skates a bit like Gagner. Skills are there.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why is everyone so down on Podkolzin? Anyone past 2oa has two years of development ahead of them regardless, so I'm not sure the KHL contract is much of an issue.

I think we should be looking for the player who's going to be holding the most value at that point, not the player who best fits the needs of the roster today. A lot is going to change in those two years.

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Krebs is like a Kyle Brodziak type NHLer , stop with the wack ass picks in the first round. Krebs is a weak pick.
Uhhhh. I respectfully disagree. Krebs has WAY more skill and speed. If you're going by stats, you seriously need to watch some Kootenay highlights from this year. They were beyond terrible.

Even Connor and Leon have each other, Krebs had no one.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
This is why I'd still take guys like Krebs over him.
This is my thoughts as well, they are allowing way more to go these playoffs. Where it’s almost back to the old NHL, which makes guys like Johnny G obsolete as they grabbed and slashed and hooked all game

Reactions: KYams17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad