Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I think it might be too much or something we wouldn't be willing to give up to move 3-4 spots.

Chicago probably wouldn't move down from 3 since they guarantee themselves Turcotte at 3.

The Avs.. idk, I think they stay put

I would easily give up a second and 8 to move up to 3/4. I would even throw in JP if needed.

Byram for 8, 2nd rounder, and JP.

Reactions: nally

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Have not read all the pages but is anyone thinking Podkolzin could fall to us? Just seems like a perfect storm brewing. You have Hughes and Kakkoo locked in then Byram behind that and the US NDP kids coming on hot (Caufield, Turcotte, Boldy) plus Dach. Add in a flyer which happens every year on a d-man like Heinola Harley Soderstrom or Broberg and there is the Russian waiting at 8 for us.

In fact if I had to lock in my picks now here is how I see it going:

NJD Hughes
NYR Kakko
CHI Byram
COL Dach
LAK Cozens
DET Soderstrom
BUF Turcotte
EDM Podkolzin
ANH Boldy
VAN Caufield
PHI Zegras
MIN Broberg
FLA Heinola
ARI Harley
MON Krebs

If this is the way things fell, I would switch with Detroit and pick Turcotte. No way Buff takes Soderstrom. Meaning Detroit can still get their player at 8.

Although I have not ruled out that Soderstrom at 8 (for the Oilers) would be a great pick.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I would easily give up a second and 8 to move up to 3/4. I would even throw in JP if needed.

Byram for 8, 2nd rounder, and JP.

First off I don't know why Hawks would pass on Byram he is everything they need. Second that's more a package for a team like LA a team just starting their rebuild.

Would I do the 8th + 2nd to get up to 5? Probably not this year, don't think it's worth it, but fair in a vacuum probably.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
First off I don't know why Hawks would pass on Byram he is everything they need. Second that's more a package for a team like LA a team just starting their rebuild.

Would I do the 8th + 2nd to get up to 5? Probably not this year, don't think it's worth it, but fair in a vacuum probably.

I guess I am thinking that Hawks have more of a need at forward than at D. They have a ton of prospects at D.

Other than Saad (26), Debrincat, and Strome, they have no good prospects at forward. Kane and Toews are over 30. I think that the Hawks go forward.

Although the fanbase is pushing for Byram. I just don't see where you are going to play all those defense.

In no particular order:

Seabrook R (old but stuck with him due to contract)
Keith L (old but still good)
Gustaffson L (only 26 with tons of points)
Connor Murphy R (25) (previous first rounder)
Dahlstrom L (24) (previous second rounder)
Forsling L (22)
Koekkoek L (24) (previous first rounder)

Plus

Boqvist (1st rounder 2018)
Beaudin (1st rounder 2018)
Jokiharju (1st rounder 2017)
Mitchell (2nd rounder 2017)
Krys (2nd rounder 2016)

I get that Byram would play in your top pairing, but there are too many young D drafted in the first two rounds in the last 3 years. I can't see them going defense again.

They need a forward.

I think the Hawks are going to take the best available forward, or are going to trade down and get the best deal they can (and still take a forward).

Same thing for the Avs. They are a one line team and need offensive depth. They are going forward at 4 as well. They already have Johnson, Makar, Barrie, Zadorov on the back end.

Last edited:

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
If this is the way things fell, I would switch with Detroit and pick Turcotte. No way Buff takes Soderstrom. Meaning Detroit can still get their player at 8.

Although I have not ruled out that Soderstrom at 8 (for the Oilers) would be a great pick.

I have Detroit taking Soderstrom (or one of the d-men). They are still some of the best scouts after all this time and I think one of the defensemen will pique their interest more than another forward. Don't forget they have Larkin Mantha Veleno and Zadina on the team or coming. They have no defensemen though with big upside.

I myself look at Soderstrom and think he could be a top pairing d-man. Karlsson lite if you will.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I guess I am thinking that Hawks have more of a need at forward than at D. They have a ton of prospects at D and they have Keith and Seabrook for many years.

Hawks have a lot of D prospects sure but not many I would count on as impact players. In fact the only one I would call that are all right D (Jokiharju Boqvist Mitchell). Beaudin is good but not in the same class as Byram.

Funny you mention Keith as I think Byram has a lot in common with Keith. He is going to be a steady partner for someone like Boqvist who takes risk more.

Other than Saad (26), Debrincat, and Strome, they have no good prospects at forward. Kane and Toews are over 30. I think that the Hawks go forward.

Debrincat Strome Saad Kane Toews is still a decent core. I agree they need at least one more young F prospect but they seem to find them in the second round anyway lol so I look forward to whoever they take on Day 2 scoring 40 goals.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I guess I am thinking that Hawks have more of a need at forward than at D. They have a ton of prospects at D and they have Keith and Seabrook for many years.

Although the fanbase is pushing for Byram.

Evan Barratt was one of the best players in the NCAA last season at 20 years old.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
As the draft gets nearer and nearer Krebs to the Oilers at #8 makes so much sense.

That's the range he will go in, and he checks all the boxes in what we are looking for besides being right handed. We could really use a dominant forward for the 2nd line that works his ass off every time he's on the ice. Oh and he's an Alberta kid.

The writing is on the wall here guys. I fully expect Krebs to walk off that stage in Vancouver wearing an Oilers sweater.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This draft is going to be wild from like 3 onward. Hoping one of Krebs or Caufield are left at 8. Seems like plenty of options in the top 10, though. Problem with that is that they're probably not all going to make it. It's drafts like these where scouts earn their keep and that's just always worrying as an Oilers fan.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
Just hope Podkolzin is picked before us. It'll take a guy we don't want off the board and gives us another top guy to consider.

We are in desperate need of a right-handed, shoot first forward. The top right-handed guys are Dach, Cozens, and Caufield. I expect Dach and Cozens to be gone at 8. Leaves us Caufield and I'd be fine with him. Electric so far at the U18 tournament.

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Just hope Podkolzin is picked before us. It'll take a guy we don't want off the board and gives us another top guy to consider.

We are in desperate need of a right-handed, shoot first forward. The top right-handed guys are Dach, Cozens, Krebs, and Caufield. I expect Dach and Cozens to be gone at 8. Leaves us Krebs and Caufield. Leaning towards Caufield at the moment. Electric so far at the U18 tournament.
Krebs is a leftie

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I can't remember a draft with so many college guys..

Boston College next season will have Boldy, York, Newhook, Knight.. Zegras is going to BU.. Wisconsin will have Caufield and Turcotte + Dylan Holloway 2020 draft eligible. Kind of tough to avoid one of them (and the Russian) if you were concerned about them becoming free agents anyways.

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
If we have the opportunity to select Caufield and pass, I can see the Canucks taking him at 10. With Boeser and Caufield, the Canucks would have 2 lethal finishers. Hope it doesn't come to that.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It really shows just how much better the Americans are with the USNTDP program at developing young talent. Major Junior in Canada is pretty trash in comparison now.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I guess I am thinking that Hawks have more of a need at forward than at D. They have a ton of prospects at D.

Although the fanbase is pushing for Byram. I just don't see where you are going to play all those defense.

In no particular order:

Seabrook R (old but stuck with him due to contract)
Keith L (old but still good)
Gustaffson L (only 26 with tons of points)
Connor Murphy R (25) (previous first rounder)
Dahlstrom L (24) (previous second rounder)
Forsling L (22)
Koekkoek L (24) (previous first rounder)

Plus

Boqvist (1st rounder 2018)
Beaudin (1st rounder 2018)
Jokiharju (1st rounder 2017)
Mitchell (2nd rounder 2017)
Krys (2nd rounder 2016)

I get that Byram would play in your top pairing, but there are too many young D drafted in the first two rounds in the last 3 years. I can't see them going defense again.

They need a forward.

I think the Hawks are going to take the best available forward, or are going to trade down and get the best deal they can (and still take a forward).

Same thing for the Avs. They are a one line team and need offensive depth. They are going forward at 4 as well. They already have Johnson, Makar, Barrie, Zadorov on the back end.
They take the Byram and trade some of their D for forwards simple solution ..

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
They take the Byram and trade some of their D for forwards simple solution ..

Not simple whatsoever. Prospects are not a guarantee, so why are teams trading for them.

If anything, the last few drafts, teams are drafting just as much for team need than BPA. The Oilers have burnt twice now cuz of BPA. Teams like MTL and CLb are proving BPA is not all that important

I doubt the Hawks draft BPA..if that is infact Byram...just cuz he is a dman. I'll bet 80%+ of their scouts are eyeing a center right now

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
It really shows just how much better the Americans are with the USNTDP program at developing young talent. Major Junior in Canada is pretty trash in comparison now.
Idk about that, the CHL still develops a ton of talent. The USA just has most of there’s centralized in one spot.

I’ve been thinking for a while that Canada should open there own development program for the kids who are wanting to go to College and have them play against BCHL teams.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I'm not convinced any of the non-Byram D prospects should go before around #15 in the draft.

The USNDTP guys and the WHL boys should all go ahead of any of Harley and the Euro D prospects.

Not saying they're not first round worthy, just not top 10 material.

Think I would exhaust the Hughes/Turcotte/Zegras/Boldy/Caufield pool before taking a chance on a Broberg.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not simple whatsoever. Prospects are not a guarantee, so why are teams trading for them.

If anything, the last few drafts, teams are drafting just as much for team need than BPA. The Oilers have burnt twice now cuz of BPA. Teams like MTL and CLb are proving BPA is not all that important

I doubt the Hawks draft BPA..if that is infact Byram...just cuz he is a dman. I'll bet 80%+ of their scouts are eyeing a center right now
How do you know those teams didn't draft BPA? Maybe those teams had them as the BPA, this is why teams employ scouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad